Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
In an effort to be more environmentally conscious, Ubisoft is doing away with what was considered one of the hallmarks of the new video game experience. The publisher announced today that they will no longer be creating paper manuals for their games, instead relying entirely on in-game digital versions.

According to the official release, producing the roughly one ton of paper needed to create a manual means consuming 13 trees and emitting roughly 6000 pounds of carbon dioxide. In addition, the 28 million BTUs of net energy could be used to heat and power the average home for approximately one year.

Ubisoft is promising "multiple benefits," including a "more robust manual." They didn't go into anymore detail in their official release. Manuals have lately fallen by the wayside thanks to expense involved in creating them and the improved integration of tutorials.

In addition to the digital manuals, Ubisoft will be creating "echoTech" DVD cases for games like the PC release of Splinter Cell Conviction. They will include 100 percent-recycled polypropylene.

The first digital manual will be included with Shaun White Skateboarding. It's due out this holiday season.

Source

I wonder if they'll be DRM protected...
wink.gif

Sefi

Trophies
XP
Country
Great, now we get cases with plastic holes cut out of the center under the discs and no manual. Pretty soon they're just going to shrink wrap an unlabeled disc and slap a price tag on it.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
To be perfectly honest, I see nothing bad about them skipping paper manuals. It's been ages since I've last used one anyway, so why not save the environment by not making those anymore? Which is what they're gonna do
wink.gif

Princess Rozalin

†GBAtemp Official Princess Of Roses†
Trophies
Website
z10.invisionfree.com
XP
Country
United States
Minox_IX said:
To be perfectly honest, I see nothing bad about them skipping paper manuals. It's been ages since I've last used one anyway, so why not save the environment by not making those anymore? Which is what they're gonna do
wink.gif
Well said Minox ^^ Now that i think about it....I hardly read the Manual as well.

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
This was the Dawn of Discovery: Venice manual included with Steam. (The real thing was just a few pages with controls, system requirements and legal info. For a game as deep as Anno, this is unacceptable, especially since they removed the Annopedia (super comprehensive ingame manual) included with previous releases)
56526217.jpg

facepalm.jpg

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I wish Nintendo and all the other game developers would follow suit, or at least put their manuals online for free. With Ubisoft, all we'd get is Imagine game manuals put online.
glare.gif

The article didn't mention anything about requiring a retail game to access the manual, so I hope that wouldn't be the case.
Basically, I just want to read game manuals for the games I pirate. If anyone downloaded Infinite Space you'd know what I'm talking about.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Minox_IX said:
wink.gif
I came here to post that exact same thing. Although i dunno if saving trees is Ubisoft's real motive for doing this...
rolleyes.gif

I'm a tree hugger too. Not saying i'm going to go protest or anything, but i see a lot of shit that humans waste that is completely unnecessary. And it usually just goes to the landfill and not recycling. Being environmentally conscious has no downsides, even if you're some rich wasting fag who hates environmentalism. I doubt anyone would consciously WANT to destroy trees for no good reason.

And i can see greater manual content by having them online. They won't deteriorate either. I already download old game manuals online anyways, from my SNES days where all the game boxes and manuals are long gone from my hands.
tongue.gif

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Minox_IX said:
wink.gif

To Ubisoft its less about that and more about saving money and making more profit

chances are they're going to increase the price of their games due to the packaging being "eco-friendly".

iamthemilkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So we get flimsy shitty eco-cases and now this? This is obviously a way to curb costs and also push people into digital distribution. These pricks don't give two shits about the trees.

You think I believe these corporate scumbag tarts are hippies? Riiight. This is a big middle finger to you, Ubisoft. I won't buy your shit. I enjoyed Conviction, but I hate most of your releases these days. Assassin's Creed franchise? Overrated. Far Cry 2? Goddamn awful. Prince of Persia? Washed up has been.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hop2089 said:
Ubisoft fail

QFT. With the epic failure of this company, I have no idea why anyone even bothers with them.

I prefer paper manuals, if anything. At least I can take a look at one of those while the game is running, without having a second computer sitting next to me. It's also nice to get something tangible for your money aside from the box, and a disc (without even a proper jewel case, most of the time).

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Seeing as how most people never read the fucking things, I don't think it's a big deal if all gaming companies got rid of paper manuals. To be honest the only time in the last 10 years or so that I have read a manual for a game was Supreme Commander for the 360, but only because that game is confusing on a control pad.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
DSGamer64 said:
Seeing as how most people never read the fucking things, I don't think it's a big deal if all gaming companies got rid of paper manuals. To be honest the only time in the last 10 years or so that I have read a manual for a game was Supreme Commander for the 360, but only because that game is confusing on a control pad.

I'd still like one for stuff like MS Flight Simulator. The manuals for that bloody game back for the DOS and early Windows versions of the game were enourmas.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-