Ubisoft switching to digital game manuals

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Guild McCommunist, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Source

I wonder if they'll be DRM protected... [​IMG]

2. basher11

Member basher11 GBAtemp's Official Vocaloid Lover

United States
    heh Anti Piracy on Game Manuals

[​IMG]

3. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    Ubisoft fail

Now if they can do this stuff with the Imagine and Petz games.

4. Princess Rozalin

Member Princess Rozalin †GBAtemp Official Princess Of Roses†

United States
    Actually this isnt Bad.If it helps the Environment then its good...right?

5. Sefi

Member Sefi GBAtemp Fan

Great, now we get cases with plastic holes cut out of the center under the discs and no manual. Pretty soon they're just going to shrink wrap an unlabeled disc and slap a price tag on it.

6. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    To be perfectly honest, I see nothing bad about them skipping paper manuals. It's been ages since I've last used one anyway, so why not save the environment by not making those anymore? Which is what they're gonna do [​IMG]

7. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    I'm a tree hugger at heart, so this is really awesome. Hope others pick up the trend!

8. Princess Rozalin

Member Princess Rozalin †GBAtemp Official Princess Of Roses†

United States
    Well said Minox ^^ Now that i think about it....I hardly read the Manual as well.

9. myuusmeow

Member myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    This was the Dawn of Discovery: Venice manual included with Steam. (The real thing was just a few pages with controls, system requirements and legal info. For a game as deep as Anno, this is unacceptable, especially since they removed the Annopedia (super comprehensive ingame manual) included with previous releases)
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

facepalm.jpg

10. iFish

Member iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Canada
    Guildy always beats me [​IMG]

11. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    I wish Nintendo and all the other game developers would follow suit, or at least put their manuals online for free. With Ubisoft, all we'd get is Imagine game manuals put online. [​IMG]
    The article didn't mention anything about requiring a retail game to access the manual, so I hope that wouldn't be the case.
    Basically, I just want to read game manuals for the games I pirate. If anyone downloaded Infinite Space you'd know what I'm talking about.

12. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    I came here to post that exact same thing. Although i dunno if saving trees is Ubisoft's real motive for doing this... [​IMG]

I'm a tree hugger too. Not saying i'm going to go protest or anything, but i see a lot of shit that humans waste that is completely unnecessary. And it usually just goes to the landfill and not recycling. Being environmentally conscious has no downsides, even if you're some rich wasting fag who hates environmentalism. I doubt anyone would consciously WANT to destroy trees for no good reason.

And i can see greater manual content by having them online. They won't deteriorate either. I already download old game manuals online anyways, from my SNES days where all the game boxes and manuals are long gone from my hands. [​IMG]

13. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    To Ubisoft its less about that and more about saving money and making more profit

chances are they're going to increase the price of their games due to the packaging being "eco-friendly".

14. Arp1

Member Arp1 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well, one thing bad is; cheap DVD cases for PC games.

15. iamthemilkman

Member iamthemilkman GBAtemp Fan

United States
    So we get flimsy shitty eco-cases and now this? This is obviously a way to curb costs and also push people into digital distribution. These pricks don't give two shits about the trees.

You think I believe these corporate scumbag tarts are hippies? Riiight. This is a big middle finger to you, Ubisoft. I won't buy your shit. I enjoyed Conviction, but I hate most of your releases these days. Assassin's Creed franchise? Overrated. Far Cry 2? Goddamn awful. Prince of Persia? Washed up has been.

16. TM2-Megatron

Member TM2-Megatron Predacon Commander

Canada
    QFT. With the epic failure of this company, I have no idea why anyone even bothers with them.

I prefer paper manuals, if anything. At least I can take a look at one of those while the game is running, without having a second computer sitting next to me. It's also nice to get something tangible for your money aside from the box, and a disc (without even a proper jewel case, most of the time).

17. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    Seeing as how most people never read the fucking things, I don't think it's a big deal if all gaming companies got rid of paper manuals. To be honest the only time in the last 10 years or so that I have read a manual for a game was Supreme Commander for the 360, but only because that game is confusing on a control pad.

18. TM2-Megatron

Canada
    I'd still like one for stuff like MS Flight Simulator. The manuals for that bloody game back for the DOS and early Windows versions of the game were enourmas.

19. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]. Bet they don't pass on the savings to us. Same price for less stuff, fantastic [​IMG].

20. TM2-Megatron

Canada
    How else would Ubisoft make money? They clearly can't do it by delivering a quality product... 'cuz they're, you know, Ubisoft, lol.