• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

U.S. Supreme Court set to overturn Roe v. Wade abortion rights decision

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It's progressive because it allows us to escalate our points of interest.

So... You don't think it's just to get a kidney to replace a kidney that was taken from you because it's "old testament".
To force that person to give up their kidney is not necessary, there's a 99% chance that there's a better, healthier donor available anyway.

But you'd be okay with dying ,due to lack of a transplant, as long as your estate (family) can sue?
Obviously not. A person can survive with a single kidney for a long time.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am not trolling, just because you cannot handle the fact that someone has a different opinion doesn't mean they're trolling.
I am perfectly happy discussing opinions respectfully with people I disagree with, I do it all the time.

I'm only accusing you of trolling, because of your behavior. The whole gaslighting act confirmed it.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So they're going to kill themselves to get an abortion? That sounds stupid.
They are going to kill themselves because they can't cope with trauma of having to go through a pregnancy.

Not only does that not sound stupid, but it happens already.

If you didn't hate women, you would have compassion for them.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
But you can live with only one kidney.
You can live after 12 pregnancies. What point are you making, exactly?

The analogy is bad. Adding 865 provisos or additional conditions to it won’t make it any less bad. If we’re not going to agree that the theft of an organ and a pregnancy are not equivalent, there’s really no point in continuing with this thought experiment - the premise is ludicrous, for the reasons mentioned above and more. Even if the risks involved in the two procedures were indentical, one assumes the state directly acting upon a citizen to deprive them of an organ (as in, literally tearing into their body and removing it) while the other assumes the state does absolutely nothing to the body in question (and nature takes its course). One is a clear violation, the other is not. The two situations are not alike, regardless of the risks involved. Even someone who *doesn’t* advocate for such a solution can see that.

KennyAtom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am perfectly happy discussing opinions respectfully with people I disagree with, I do it all the time.

I'm only accusing you of trolling, because of your behavior. The whole gaslighting act confirmed it.
just because i misunderstood the meaning of the word doesn't mean I'm trolling.

KennyAtom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not only does that not sound stupid, but it happens already.

If you didn't hate women, you would have compassion for them.
Here we go again with the "you hate women" drivel spouted by dumbasses.

Yes, it sucks when people kill themselves, yes i feel sorry for anyone who is driven to that.

Doing it because you have to give birth is kinda stupid.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I made a point very clearly. The fact you then make a non point, is irrelevant.
Your point boils down to “you can live with one kidney, so it’s okay to steal organs”, which is the single dumbest thing I’ve heard all day. You don’t believe that, so I don’t know why you’d use it as an argument in a discussion.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
To force that person to give up their kidney is not necessary, there's a 99% chance that there's a better, healthier donor available anyway.

Obviously not. A person can survive with a single kidney for a long time.

I am not interested in playing D&D with you. No offense. I was trying approach a point of mutual understanding, but you are very attached to your "ackshually" persona. You win, and you suck for it.

• Haha
Reactions: Xzi

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Your point boils down to “you can live with one kidney, so it’s okay to steal organs”, which is the single dumbest thing I’ve heard all day. You don’t believe that, so I don’t know why you’d use it as an argument in a discussion.
I don't believe that, I'm saying that the state forcing you to give up a kidney when you have two is no different to forcing a woman go through a single pregnancy rather than having an abortion. Women don't repeatedly have abortions, so why would my analogy include taking organs multiple times?

Single dumbest thing? Well from where I'm sitting, I have to say you lot are far ahead of me.

Do all pro lifers act like trolls, as I'm starting to see a trend here.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't believe that, I'm saying that stealing a kidney from someone who has two is no different to forcing a woman go through a single pregnancy rather than having an abortion.
Forcing? There’s no force involved - she’s already pregnant. It’s different than stealing a kidney, in every possible way. The biggest way it’s different in is the part where you open someone’s body and tear an organ out - that doesn’t normally happen.

You guys are something else. I’ve lost interest in discussing the kidney scenario, it’s obviously not being argued in good faith anyway, so there’s nothing to be gained from delving deeper.

For the record, I haven’t even stated an opinion on this matter - I just saw a stupid analogy, and pointed it out. In response, all of you got together single file and started jumping off a cliff like lemmings to double down. It’s like watching a movie.

• Haha
Reactions: AlexMCS and tabzer

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Forcing? There’s no force involved - she’s already pregnant. It’s different than stealing a kidney, in every possible way.
No it's not, you already have two kidneys. We can take one and you'll live.

She already has a fetus inside her, we'll force her to carry it to term and she'll live.

If she doesn't want to carry the fetus, but you take away her right to an abortion then you are forcing her.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
For the record, I haven’t even stated an opinion on this matter - I just saw a stupid analogy, and pointed it out. In response, all of you got together single file and started jumping off a cliff like lemmings to double down. It’s like watching a movie.

This is a good analogy, about a bad analogy, for anyone paying attention.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
No it's not, you already have two kidneys. We can take one and you'll live.
It’s my kidney. You actually *can’t* take it, regardless of whether it threatens my life or not. You don’t have my permission. If you’re planning to take it against my will, you’ll have to use force.
She already has a fetus inside her, we'll force her to carry it to term and she'll live.

If she doesn't want to carry the fetus, but you take away her right to an abortion then you are forcing her.
I’m not forcing her to do anything - I don’t have to participate in every single endeavour offered to me.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It’s my kidney. You actually *can’t* take it, regardless of whether it threatens my life or not. You don’t have my permission. If you’re planning to take it against my will, you’ll have to use force.
And the fetus doesn't have the woman's permission to stay.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol