Hacking Turn your R4 DS into an M3 Simply!

Status
Not open for further replies.

digital_sin

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
elmnt61, after you solder/tinfoil the pin, you should replace your firmware with the english version (or the chinease one, i dont know what language you want to switch to). it's not going to automatically reboot to the other language, it just allows you to use the other language's firmware.

as for the legitimacy of this "hack", i feel it's pretty legit. there is always the possibility that someone is pulling a YHBT... or there might be a more simple way to do this in the works (hacked firmwares). but this mod actually makes sense, why else would the R4 have the pins soldered in one place in the english version, and in another place in the chinease version.

4 pins means 4 firmwares, which means 2 for both the M3 and the R4 (one english firmware and one chinease).

BTW: The board pics posted by SamX ARE for the M3 not the R4, not just because of the solder pin position, but also because it's missing the SMD resistor or whatever that black chip is on the R4.

elmnt61

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, I know that digital_sin, i've been switching between both of them. (So far the English firmware has never been able to boot).

I'm troubleshooting while using the Chinese firmware, so I just turn it on after I attempt to bridge. If I am successful, the R4 should give me an error message saying it can't load the chinese firmware. So far, the Chinese always loads perfectly. I have also tried trying the English firmware, but it never works.

digital_sin

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
then you might have to desolder your current pin for this hack to work. (means that you can only have only 1 pin shorted at a time, like SamX's pics).

which means that you'll have to find soldering tools to remove your solder and try this.

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i did the M3 simply to R4 and recorded it (quality isn't that great) upping it to youtube now, gonna take abit with 20kb/s upload :/

You edited the video with effects studio and photoshop!
Just kidding!
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the effort and this will be a good view once you get it up
bow.gif

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
i did the M3 simply to R4 and recorded it (quality isn't that great) upping it to youtube now, gonna take abit with 20kb/s upload :/

You edited the video with effects studio and photoshop!
Just kidding!
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the effort and this will be a good view once you get it up
bow.gif

Wish i could work with photoshop or any multi media app to add some nice effects.
No this comes straight from my Sony Cybershot DSC-P10 (5 Megapixel photo cam)
I did use a tripod to film it, kept my 2 hands free
biggrin.gif

iamwhoiam

Honorary R4 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Might try this tomorrow when the bloody R4 finally comes!

Still curious why the top crystal arrangements are different between M3 and R4... I take it no one else is actually bothered about it?

Side note: I think the R4 has the advantage at the moment in terms of firmware updates (the only deciding factor between the two products), as they seem to OEM and probably supply the firmware for team M3. I say this, because it's uncanny that the latest M3 updates follow R4's english update a few days later with exactly the same features.

digital_sin

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
about the "top crystal arrangements are difference" I'm guessing it's something the M3 team did to cut back the costs of development. i'm sure it will not affect performance what so ever.

cant wait for the video!

jtroye32

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i remember bridging and unbridging connectors on my old processor to unlock it for overclocking (if you think bridging those big connectors are hard try doing it on a processor). I used electrically conductive grease to do this. you can also get a conductive pen. both these can be removed with rubbing alcohol (highest isopropyl alcohol % you can find).

digital_sin

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
awesome!

should clear any doubt about this hack.

BTW: what's the name of this DS protective cover you have on your ds.

mstaspawkl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can get those protective covers anywhere.. best buy.. frys... they usually have like.. mario.. football.. or something sticker? paper? on the front.. but you dont have to use it.. just the shell.. some places have white ones.. but some usually have clear.. its pretty clean.. but i dont like the feel while holding it and playing...

digital_sin

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
so you dont need to remove the original solder on your bridged point, you can have two bridged points and then switch between firmwares without opening your R4/M3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: get a used series X?