Turn your R4 DS into an M3 Simply!

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by jelbo, Jan 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Jan 5, 2007
  1. jelbo
    OP

Member jelbo Ōkami!

Netherlands
    This mod only works on the first version of the R4 DS/M3 Simply. Later revisions have the contacts removed - stacked away under a black blob of hardness and very small. More info in this thread at scdev.org

From an anonymous source I've found a way to mod an R4 DS into an M3 Simply. I can't confirm it since I don't own either an R4 DS or M3 Simply, but I trust my source completely.

A little background info for the newcomers. R4 DS and M3 Simply are basically the same product. The difference on the PCB seems to be only one contact that is connected on the M3 Simply and isn't on the R4 DS. Without this contact bridged, M3 Simply firmware is blocked on the R4 DS, as seen in this pic:

[​IMG]
    (original image from Scorpei.com)

Bridging it by soldering should turn your R4 DS into an M3 Simply and allow M3 firmware. It should also work the other way around; disconnect the contact on an M3 Simply will turn it into an R4 DS. Ofcourse the sticker will remain original [​IMG] update: It seems the bottom connector is used for the language. Bridged means English, not bridged is Chinese. I've updated the picture below.

Image:
    [​IMG]
    (original image from GBATemp.net)

Don't ask me questions about this hack, I've stated all I know in this post.

It does raise some questions to me though. What if R4 and M3 are just the same company and this whole thing isn't really a competition but made to somehow generate more sales in some way I don't understand? It's pretty interesting. If this hack truly works it'll be great for R4 DS users since you can always decide later on to switch over to M3 [​IMG] And save 5 bucks [​IMG]

Oh, don't hold me responsible for any damage it may do to your R4..

/update:

It seems that GBARl.it has some official word from M3, as well as some speculation/info I don't understand:

Source @ GBARl.it

Also, a picture of Moonshell I've seen before, indicating it uses the R4 TF driver:

[​IMG]

2. Killermech

Member Killermech Cookie Monster

Sweden
    Cool, if it would work. I won't try, as I see no need to use the M3 firmware instead of the R4 firmware (considering the R4 updates are coming faster than the M3 simply ones lol).
    I think they both use the same manufacture company for the cards and main code. Which would explain the similarities.
    But still, good info [​IMG]

3. Katalyst

Member Katalyst Johnald Everyperson

United States
    I almost want to do this for the hell of it, but I'll pass. As of right now, M3 firmware has no advantage over R4 firmware, and vice versa.

/noted until a reason to change firmware comes about.

4. tehcamel

Member tehcamel GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i wonder if it works the same for the m3. desolder these contacts to transform your m3 into an r4.

5. darksavior

Member darksavior GBAtemp Regular

United States
    nice find. i ordered the m3 simply and theyre still at 1.00 version firmware. at least this way whoever has the best support we can always switch.

I wonder if there's any difference in PoR's performance...

6. Hairy

Newcomer Hairy Advanced Member

hmm ... this seems too risky of a procedure ... I don't want to risk bricking my R4DS [​IMG] It works just fine for me!

7. joedodgy

Newcomer joedodgy Member

and the jumper 2 below that is probably the chinese/english version switch..

english? m3 vs r4 = "http://scorpei.com/pictures_M3&R4/PCB_front(big).jpg"
    chinese? m3 vs r4 = "http://www.winsunx.com/images/r4b.jpg"

i'll test it out later, too hot atm [​IMG]

8. ooh44

Newcomer ooh44 Advanced Member

Thailand
    I havn't tried yet. but I think it could work.
    I'm going to try it by myself before reading this post because I think it should be a jumper [​IMG]

9. Kikoshi

Member Kikoshi GBAtemp Regular

I don't know, It could be awesome if this is true, because if you see the pics, one part of the m3 is solder, while the other of R4 isn't and a black chip in the R4 is missing but soldered in the M3. But Either way, I'm getting both, tomorrow possibly my R4 will arrive, and later on I'll get an M3 for my sister, yet of course, Its mine too, Families shares alike bro! [​IMG]

10. jdub2027

Newcomer jdub2027 Member

United States

Very good observation!!!

11. CatScam

Member CatScam ScamaRama!

United States
    This is cool info, & a very easy test. I wouldn’t however solder the 2 points for the test
    I would just jump a wire then when you wanted to remove it you just pop the wire off.

12. faceless

Member faceless pink sugar heart attack

United States
    so nobody's gonna test it out?

if i had one, i would!

13. digital_sin

Member digital_sin GBAtemp Regular

Egypt
    there's no need to test it out. and i dont really think there ever will be any time soon.

Here's my theory:
    R4 team was payed by the M3 team to rebaggage their SLOT1 card as the M3 simply, and keep it updated like the R4 for a small sum of money(propably 2.5$ extra a piece or something). in simple terms, they buy R4s from the R4 team, put a M3 sticker on them, change the position of the jumper pins, and sell them as their product under their name, hoping that everyone who sees a M3 label on a product will gladly pay 5$ extra for it. That would also propably explain why the M3 team announced on the launch of "their" new product that they're going to release a better one soon(aka M3 diamond or whatever), which means that this M3 was just a filler in the gap that they're going to need to develop "the real thing", just so that they can earn a little money on the side while "the real m3" is in development, and also keep their name in the bussiness without dissapearing for too long. It's propably also why they don't have a website of their own for the M3 Simply.

If my theory is correct then:
    1)The R4 is always gonna be the one who gets updated first, then the M3 with the exact same features in the new R4 update
    2)You'll never need to switch from one flashcart to the other UNLESS the R4 team stops releasing the M3 version of the firmware for them.
    3)If you bought both the M3 and the R4, you've just got punked.

14. Densen

Newcomer Densen Member

Australia
    I totally agree with you. I don't think the Simply is a big deal to M3 and it's merely a way to stick around so they don't miss out on any profits from the latest slot-1 fest.

If R4 want to prove themselves as a company, they'll continue to support it and so far, there's nothing indicating that they won't.

I also agree with the fact that the M3 being more expensive is just proof that R4 is probably the original manufacturer and M3 has no problems outsourcing and riding on a new company for the few extra dollars they have to charge.

If anything, it'll be M3 that forgets about the Simply as soon as their real product comes out, because after all, it'll be the much more profitable product for them.

Anyway, we'll have to wait and see how it pans out [​IMG]

15. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    Its handy to know you can change the R4 into an M3 simple just incase the firmware updates stop.

16. magebarf

Newcomer magebarf Newbie

Sweden
    Is it only me starting to think about the sequence of numbers?

M2... M3...

Well, maybe the team felt a bit inspired by Nintendo and started their R(evolution)4 project...

At the same time, as good brand recognition as they have with their M3 products, they would be stupid just to throw that away, so one solution could be to double market. That would at the same time give double the amount of reviews for technically the same product...

17. jelbo
    OP

Member jelbo Ōkami!

Netherlands
    digital_sin, very interesting theory, makes sense. Also, it seems like the first result is in (apart from my source that has already performed the hacks succesfully); SamX posted pics of his M3 Simply turned into an R4 DS by unbridging the 2nd from above connector. Here are the pics he posted:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. lyte

Newcomer lyte Member

United States
    very interesting information and useful for the future!

19. jtroye32

Member jtroye32 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    good job on realizing this. someone bought both and opened them both up and realized.. hey these look the same, maybe if i just bridge/unbridge these contacts..

it pisses me off they are wasting time releasing the same product under different names for purely profit reasons and not moving ahead with the M3 Real and better cards. if someone buys both after knowing this information they are truly slowinthemind. don't support this scam by buying both cards, you're paying for the same thing.

it wouldn't surprise me if you can turn them into a M3 Real by bridging the other connectors (singly or coupled).

20. elmnt61

Newcomer elmnt61 Member

United States
    Hmm, I'm trying to switch mine from Chinese to english. I taped some tin foil over the last two contacts... but when I load it up, the chinese still works. I'm currently downloading the English software, but I'm assuming it won't work. :/ Ideally, the chinese software should NOT work since it SHOULD now be the english version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.