ROM Hack [Translation] Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Cobi and Tara's Marvelous Mysterious Key [WIP | v0.4]

Ich_73

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
!! WE DID IT - v1.0 HAS ARRIVED !!
Update Aug 27, 2021: We released v1.1 of the translation
Update Jan 2, 2023: French translation arrived (v1.2)

You can check out our new thread for this translation
with all the download links and installation instructions.

DQM2: Cobi and Tara's Marvelous Mysterious Key

Please move any discussions and questions regarding
the installation to the new thread. You can still post here
to ask questions about translations for other languages
or get in touch with me if you want to help out on this.

Abstract
This is a place to develop fan translations for Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Cobi and Tara's Marvelous Mysterious Key for several different languages. You can either contribute to this project or install the latest version on your 3DS right now.

Introduction
99125058-a5011100-2603-11eb-8cbd-36e0bda40169.png

Hi, after I spent some time figuring out how the binJ file format storing messages in this game works, I created BinJ Editor, an editor for .binJ and .e files with custom decoding tables. This is the main tool required for translating the game. This thread and the linked repository is the place where everyone (including YOU) can help to translate this game, not only to english, but german, spanish, french, italian, etc. I would love to see a fully translated version in a few months or years - we did it!!

Progress
The following spoiler contains some screenshots of the game to get your attention.
Updated: 13.11.2020 (v0.4.0)
⚠ THIS IS NOT THE LATEST v1.0.0 RELEASE ⚠

Title Screen
99125128-c3670c80-2603-11eb-8fe4-a4fca1e87a23.png

Key Worlds
99125084-acc0b580-2603-11eb-91d0-2ad1892e4cf6.png

99125075-aaf6f200-2603-11eb-9e28-d761dcd92775.png

Monster Status
99125108-b9450e00-2603-11eb-895d-22c9bd0018a4.png

99125110-bb0ed180-2603-11eb-820e-7766098c7ef3.png

99125118-be09c200-2603-11eb-8ce6-8bbe371fdff7.png

Player Status
99125091-b21e0000-2603-11eb-937d-283c613a7644.png

99125094-b3e7c380-2603-11eb-87a2-fb112d9d38a9.png

99125098-b518f080-2603-11eb-950b-67867c62be1c.png

99125089-b0ecd300-2603-11eb-92ed-fa33ee8093c1.png

Battle
99125064-a6cad480-2603-11eb-957c-c916f332022a.png

Montner Customization
99128480-33c55c00-260b-11eb-806a-d35d6aecea01.png

Item Sack
99125073-a9c5c500-2603-11eb-9d50-4925599fbaf8.png

Quests
99125068-a8949800-2603-11eb-967b-82ff843c9731.png

99125104-b6e2b400-2603-11eb-860e-477e2bd58223.png

94586913-22560980-0282-11eb-97ed-c1301ff7f3b8.png

Map Locations
99125085-adf1e280-2603-11eb-90cd-32a37104cce5.png

If you want to get more indepth information about what is translated and what is not, check out the links in the following spoiler.

Developer Instructions
In order to contribute to this project you need a 3DS with CFW, the translation data from the linked repository and a few programs. I tried my best to make this project as accessible as possible, provided all the tools required and documented every single step.
To get started read the following instructions: Developing Translations

Some addional notes if you want to contribute. Make sure to read the instructions first in order to understand them.
  • I used to have a Google Sheet containing multiple lists to keep the names in translations consistent. I can make one if we need it for other languages.
  • We are limited to a fixed amount of characters for the names of keys: ≤39 in total (first, second and third part plus key and level) works well, everything above that has a display error in the item sack
    • EN splits this into: 4-11 (first part including a space) + 3-13 (second part) + 1 (space) + 3-10 (third part) + 4 (space and key) = 15-39 (total)
    • DE splits this into: 6-13 (first part including a space) + 3-11 (second part) + 1 (space) + 4-9 (third part) + 10 (space and key) = 24-44 (total)
  • For texts on .bclim images inside .arc archives I used the Font "Carlito Bold".

Installation
To install the latest version of the game, you need a 3DS with CFW, data from the linked repository and a few programs. I tried my best to make this project as accessible as possible and documented every single step.
To install the latest release as a cia file read the following instructions: Installing Releases
To install the latest updates using Luma's LayeredFS Patching read the following instructions: Installing LayeredFS
To install the latest updates using Citra's LayeredFS Patching read the following instructions: Installing on Citra

Download
The project is hosted on GitHub: DQM2 Fan Translation on GitHub
Details can be found in the wiki: DQM2 Fan Translation Wiki
You can download the latest version at: Latest Version of DQM2 Fan Translation
The guide for this game is located at: DQM2 Guide

I await your contribution
Ich_73

Last edited by Ich_73,

Ich_73

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Any plans to look into the actual story dialog?
I'm not planning on doing it myself, mainly because I'm not a native english speaker so I believe someone else should do it.
I created this translation project for all those people writing how they would love to play this game translated, even if it was just the menu. And for those who say they would like to help but don't have the know-how to do so, I wanted to give all needed tools and instructions and a place to share so no one has to do the whole thing on their own.
Also I haven't looked into how the story is actually stored. It seems like it is not contained in the binJ files. If you know more and are willing to share it, I may take a look at it.

Ich_73

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yo, this is really happening ?
Depends on what you mean by "this".
I have provided all the tools required for anyone to join this project. And I have done some stuff myself which you can download and patch right now if a basic translation of the menu is enough for you.
If you mean whether I myself am going to translate the whole game (with a decent amount of quality like you're used to from the DQMT and DQMJ3 translations) "this" is not happening. If some people get on working on this again, maybe using the tools provided by me, I'd be happy to join.

Wishing you and your team the best.
Do you have a "Discord" for working on this project ?
I don't have a team nor a discord right now. But I did join the DQ Translations discord.
But if you have the know-how and are willing to setup a team, feel free to do so. I'd happy to help where I can.

breaktemp

D-Sun who was called D-Moon
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
@Ich_73

"This" meaning someone is trying to translate this game into English.
Menus, Items, Skills, and Descriptions are a big step for this game's translation.
I would be good with just that translated (since I can search online to figure out the story)
But publicly sharing that much progress is a big win for Dragon Quest Monster fans !

I recall another team hitting a translation roadblock a few years ago
So it is really nice to see someone new trying their hand at this.
Yeah, there are some nice active Discords that you should be able to get some help from.
Will check out your progress this week and give feedback where I can.

Ich_73

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I would be good with just that translated (since I can search online to figure out the story)
But publicly sharing that much progress is a big win for Dragon Quest Monster fans !
Exactly my thoughts. This is the reason why I put in the effort to share it, so it is not just another project secretly lying on my hard drive.

I recall another team hitting a translation roadblock a few years ago
So it is really nice to see someone new trying their hand at this.
Yes, Helmax was writing about that on the BinJ Editor thread.

TheBuilder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks so much for this, it was kind of you to think of all us other fans patiently waiting for some form of translation. Your idea to include everyone in the process is cool. I want to help in any way I can, even though I’m not someone with code editing experience (other than tinkering on my own now and then at home). I’m an architect by trade, so 3D models, renderings, etc. are some things I may be able to help with. I have downloaded the latest English patch you provided, and I’d like to take a crack at translating the story, if that would help you? I’ve been using the real time translator from the Google Translate app, and it’s worked great so far. I planned to translate the story in order, so all someone would need to do is reinsert it back into the game (something I’m not familiar with doing). I would need to know about any character limitations, but at the very least, we could have a translated story of the game that I could publicly post. Would anyone find this useful? Thanks again for doing this, and I’d love to help in any way I can.

Ich_73

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks so much for this, it was kind of you to think of all us other fans patiently waiting for some form of translation. Your idea to include everyone in the process is cool.
Tanks. I'm glad to hear that.

I’m an architect by trade, so 3D models, renderings, etc. are some things I may be able to help with.
I don't think that is necessary in order to translate the game, but still pretty cool for modding stuff.

I’d like to take a crack at translating the story, if that would help you? [...] I would need to know about any character limitations, but at the very least, we could have a translated story of the game that I could publicly post.
The story files are located in ExtractedRomFS/data/Event/**/. They are .e files, but I'm currently not able to edit them.
Do you know how to do this?

so all someone would need to do is reinsert it back into the game
Once the translation is in the e files, the rest is easy.

TheBuilder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The story files are located in ExtractedRomFS/data/Event/**/. They are .e files, but I'm currently not able to edit them.
Do you know how to do this?

Once the translation is in the e files, the rest is easy.

I can open them with Notepad ++ and Epsilon, but I don't know what I'm looking at. My knowledge of code is unfortunately limited. I am a quick learner, so if you or someone else contributing is able to figure out how to edit these files and show me what to do, I would be happy to go through and translate everything. I apologize I'm not of more help, as I would love to see this completed as much as you and everyone else whose been waiting on this.

banner88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So how does this relate to the other translation project that ran into unsolvable issues? Has the problem been overcome? What about all the translation that's been done already by the other project? It seems weird to re-do everything.

Ich_73

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So how does this relate to the other translation project that ran into unsolvable issues? Has the problem been overcome? What about all the translation that's been done already by the other project? It seems weird to re-do everything.
As far as I know there are three translation projects on that game.

The first one being the project you're talking about. It is done by the same team that brought us the other 3D DQM translations. And they have basically finished translating the whole game but have one single problem that they were unable to overcome. I'm planning on looking into this problem myself.

The second translation project was done by a single person and they were able to edit binJ files partially but never figured them out completely. So they stopped right before the first step on translating the game started.

The third project is this project. Started by a single person, too. And what I do want to make differently than both other projects is, that I want to share partial translations of the game. Simply because a lot of people would love them either way. The issue the first team encountered is still there, but you can get around this by simply not using long texts. It is far from optimal, but the only option right now. And yes, it is weird to re-do everything, but since the first team focuesses on bringing a quality translation of the whole game right away they do not share intermediate results. And this project is what the DQM fan community has got right now.

Reactions: Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The third project is this project. Started by a single person, too. And what I do want to make differently than both other projects is, that I want to share partial translations of the game. Simply because a lot of people would love them either way. The issue the first team encountered is still there, but you can get around this by simply not using long texts. It is far from optimal, but the only option right now. And yes, it is weird to re-do everything, but since the first team focuesses on bringing a quality translation of the whole game right away they do not share intermediate results. And this project is what the DQM fan community has got right now.
DQM2 is easily one of my favorite games of all time. Including playing both versions it is the game I have replayed the most, so I understand both sides: those who want whatever scraps they can get, even if all that was translated was the menus (I could probably remember where to go without any guidance) and those that want the full experience. I definitely skew more towards the latter, so I am willing to wait. I have practically zero coding experience so unfortunately that's all I can do in these situations. Well, that and offering my support to both you and Helmax and his team(s). Their work in translating my favorite series from my childhood is never taken for granted.

Maybe once Dragon Quest Walk comes out in the West and all of our whales give Square Enix tons of money they will be inclined to officially localize the series, but I'll never forget when I pre-ordered Joker 2 at a busy Gamestop and was told I was the only one who actually did so... if only the series had the support of the lesser franchise, Pokemon.

Darkdrium63

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Ich_73 just wanted to say thank you so much. I check on the progress of the first translation effort a few times a week hoping there is a breakthrough. I’m a huge Monsters fan, just got to the post-game of this one and can’t wait to patch my copy. Hopefully, there are enough talented fans out there (I barely figured out CFW) to make this whole translation happen but menus/skills/items/mons etc are enough to make a MAJOR impact. Can’t thank you enough for this.

breaktemp

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
@Darkdrium63

Oh nice, so you have made it to the post game ?
Are you using the title-update (v1.1) to use the online features ?
Sharing your save data might be helpful to the team.
Do you have the app called "Checkpoint" on your CFW-System ?
It is a handy tool that lets you back up your save data.

Darkdrium63

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Darkdrium63

Oh nice, so you have made it to the post game ?
Are you using the title-update (v1.1) to use the online features ?
Sharing your save data might be helpful to the team.
Do you have the app called "Checkpoint" on your CFW-System ?
It is a handy tool that lets you back up your save data.

Yea I’ve got checkpoint! Been using that - I have a physical and digital copy of the game on latest CFW. Don’t have a means for grabbing the update for 1.1 sadly so I’m on v 1.0. Just patched last night and installed on my 3ds this am. Haven’t ran the game yet but it looks like the banner updated so that’s great! PM me if I can be of help.

Reactions: breaktemp

breaktemp

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
In-boxed, just finished the pirate/water world myself.
The 4-Size monsters are really something else.
Yeah, the title-update file for this game is not easy to finds.
Do reply back if you get the translation working with your digital and cart version !

Darkdrium63

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your help @breaktemp! Just confirming on the thread I got it working on my digital version and the patch seems to be holding up for the most part. Oddly haven’t checked the physical cart but it’s a very nice experience having some of the non-story stuff in English

Reactions: breaktemp

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over