ROM Hack Translation Yo-kai Watch Blasters 2 [English Translation]

RetroNerdGamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just thought it'd be worth mentioning that after I joined their server to voice my concerns regarding the translation quality (which I found to be very poor and full of needless story changes/rewrites) I was swiftly antagonized by the leader who pinged the entire server twice to guilt trip them into dog piling on me, and even when I talked to their translation team privately, my criticism was not taken serious and written off as a jealous hater. (Seriously, I spent a good 10 minutes trying to explain to one of the translators that 100 yen didn't equal 100 dollars/euros)

Unless they decide to be a bit more faithful to the original game and actually translate it normally (which probably won't happen seeing as there are very few fans of this series who speak Japanese) I wouldn't touch this patch with a ten foot pole.
Just a thought here but maybe this game is going for a localization like the rest of the games like Yo-Kai Watch 1-3 and Blasters 1 and trying to make this translation as faithful to those as possible rather than a literal translation?

rave420

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the work, I really appreciate it. I always wanted to play the game in English, however I think I'm going to wait a little until this is closer to completion.

Again, thank you for the work, I'm going to keep this on my radar for future updates. Are any English proofreaders needed at all?

Pizzaman2234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How to put this mod on a real 3ds (not emulated)

I am posting this because i had such a hard time learning to mod since there is no YouTube tutorial on this so
first things first you need the mod a file. modded 3ds with a file named luma through the guide, and you need
the game and it's contents which you can get from Japan hbrew website.

make sure you update your game dlc and all otherwise it (might) not work
put you SD card in your computer and open up the luma folder.
if your luma doesn't have a titles folder you will have to create and name a folder as it
now create a new folder in there with any title id and the title id of the mod.
make sure you have the right title id for your game.
put the SD card in your console and start While holding select to open up luma3ds.

in the options below make sure "enable game patching" is enabled and press start
in home menu open the game buster2.
if it stays black after 10s there's something wrong otherwise it should say loading in English on the bottom right of the top screen. and bam you have done it. hope this helps.

Last edited by Pizzaman2234,

DrgnMasterKota

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Mod update version 1.2.0 has been released. This new version overhauls the entire mod. Patch notes below.

What's been translated in this new update patch?

- The entire story mode, with all their respective cutscenes.
- The entire medallium, with all Yo-kai names, descriptions and abilities.
- The auras menu, with all the labyrinth access they give and their abilities.
- The side story missions of Indiana Jaws, Nyanses II and Shovulcan.
- The Wanderer's Beach missions
- The mission menu, with all the story, auras, forbidden, daily and lair missions
- Miscellaneous content like the names of the elemental blocks, along with various little fixes in the help menu.

What hasn't been translated in this new update patch?

- The missions of Picker Tokugawa, Cindy Jaws...
- The auras' menu graphic texts, which are still in Italian, but will be fixed in the next update patch
- The help menu, which sometimes pops-up during the story mode
- Island NPCs interactions, like the dialogs with Lil' Yora, Beetler...
- The dialogues that appear when you talk to Beetler in the Wanderer's Beach
- Miscellaneous in game text like mid-dungeon expressions spoken by Sgt. Burly, or main story dungeon names that still haven't been located file wise.

Enjoy the new mod update everyone!

NebulousNeon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...and would you believe that nearly a year later and with new updates the patch is still not actually being translated. Even if you completely ignore translation quality it's in an objectively worse state writing wise. I have serious doubts the person who is working on this speaks English fluently.

You can come at me with your tu quoque rebuttals all you want frankly, I don't care. You guys act like I love to shit on the work of others when that's far from the truth, but I cannot commend the effort of translators who clearly do not care enough to do something right and instead take advantage of fans. It doesn't matter if the patch is free or five million dollars: there is no excuse for this. There are countless examples of free fans translation patches that are lightyears and lightyears above this in quality, because the people working on them actually speak Japanese! I've been studying this language for years and years and I've never seen a translation patch this terrible before. Not a single soul who speaks this language in a fluent enough manner would stand by this level of quality.

I am not asking for perfection out of people who spend their free time working on things like this, but I will ask for sincere effort. and I see very little of that here. Why bother doing it at all if you're not going to do the bare minimum? If the thing holding you back is lack of knowledge of Japanese, maybe you're not in the position to translate a game that's entirely written in it. Just some food for thought.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
...and would you believe that nearly a year later and with new updates the patch is still not actually being translated. Even if you completely ignore translation quality it's in an objectively worse state writing wise. I have serious doubts the person who is working on this speaks English fluently.

You can come at me with your tu quoque rebuttals all you want frankly, I don't care. You guys act like I love to shit on the work of others when that's far from the truth, but I cannot commend the effort of translators who clearly do not care enough to do something right and instead take advantage of fans. It doesn't matter if the patch is free or five million dollars: there is no excuse for this. There are countless examples of free fans translation patches that are lightyears and lightyears above this in quality, because the people working on them actually speak Japanese! I've been studying this language for years and years and I've never seen a translation patch this terrible before. Not a single soul who speaks this language in a fluent enough manner would stand by this level of quality.

I am not asking for perfection out of people who spend their free time working on things like this, but I will ask for sincere effort. and I see very little of that here. Why bother doing it at all if you're not going to do the bare minimum? If the thing holding you back is lack of knowledge of Japanese, maybe you're not in the position to translate a game that's entirely written in it. Just some food for thought.
Why dont you translate it then? People do things as projects and as side things. Who cares if they dont get shit done. Its their choice. Do you plan to bitch out every translation project out there?

NebulousNeon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why dont you translate it then? People do things as projects and as side things. Who cares if they dont get shit done. Its their choice. Do you plan to bitch out every translation project out there?
It's funny how nearly everyone rebuts with tu quoque. Lmao.
Anyways, like I said, it's not my favorite thing in the world to shit on the work of others. I just find it baffling that people are excusing this. It's literally not being translated properly at all. I don't mean "Oh this thing is slightly off" or something of that sort. They're literally just making 90% of their translation up. They have an incredibly vague idea of what's going on in any given cutscene and they just go from there. That is not a translation.

RetroNerdGamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's funny how nearly everyone rebuts with tu quoque. Lmao.
Anyways, like I said, it's not my favorite thing in the world to shit on the work of others. I just find it baffling that people are excusing this. It's literally not being translated properly at all. I don't mean "Oh this thing is slightly off" or something of that sort. They're literally just making 90% of their translation up. They have an incredibly vague idea of what's going on in any given cutscene and they just go from there. That is not a translation.
I agree with Nebulous Neon, if someone official like Nintendo or Level 5 released this... well, they'd be lynched. But because it's fans it's okay?

Just having a vague idea what's going on is not okay, and honestly Bandai Namco released something akin to this with Sword Art Online Hollow Fragment on PS Vita.
This fan translation is giving me vibes like that. And that's NOT a good thing. Fans or not, there should be SOME effort to accurately represent the source material.

Also as a side note, I had to look up "tu quoque". Yeah, that's definitely happening.

Reactions: NebulousNeon

NebulousNeon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with Nebulous Neon, if someone official like Nintendo or Level 5 released this... well, they'd be lynched. But because it's fans it's okay?

Just having a vague idea what's going on is not okay, and honestly Bandai Namco released something akin to this with Sword Art Online Hollow Fragment on PS Vita.
This fan translation is giving me vibes like that. And that's NOT a good thing. Fans or not, there should be SOME effort to accurately represent the source material.

Also as a side note, I had to look up "tu quoque". Yeah, that's definitely happening.
I'm not even asking for anything at the quality of what an official company would point out, but I find it absurd that people in these forums think asking for a translation to be merely genuinely translated and faithful to the source material is asking too much of people. It should be the bare minimum of a fan translation patch, and if you can't do that, you shouldn't be making one.

pleasehelpme2

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I thought that after some time, things would've been polished up a bit more, but I guess not. The release state was quite rough if I remember correctly. Has anything even been corrected from last time Mr./Ms. Neon?

RetroNerdGamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not even asking for anything at the quality of what an official company would point out, but I find it absurd that people in these forums think asking for a translation to be merely genuinely translated and faithful to the source material is asking too much of people. It should be the bare minimum of a fan translation patch, and if you can't do that, you shouldn't be making one.
No yeah, I get what you mean. I'm just trying to say quality should go before quantity so to speak.

Silvor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
From their discord it looks like they got a new team member and I thinky it's an actual English speaker. Which hopefully would help with the translation quality.

RetroNerdGamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From their discord it looks like they got a new team member and I thinky it's an actual English speaker. Which hopefully would help with the translation quality.
I think the problem is needing someone whos a both Japanese and English speaker, not one or the other.

NebulousNeon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They definitely need a native English speaker. The English all over the place and almost incoherent at times.
Having a native English speaker will only correct the abhorrent grammar, and not the actual translation quality. I joined their Discord to discuss with their team yesterday. I was told that no one working on this patch knows Japanese. It's being translated from Japanese to Italian via Google Translate, and then translated from that into English by someone who knows Italian.

WolfmanMods

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having a native English speaker will only correct the abhorrent grammar, and not the actual translation quality. I joined their Discord to discuss with their team yesterday. I was told that no one working on this patch knows Japanese. It's being translated from Japanese to Italian via Google Translate, and then translated from that into English by someone who knows Italian.
You're a joke. Please disappear from the internet. Tired of seeing stupid posts from you as I surf these forums.

Reactions: DTApple

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.