Hacking Touchscreen not working 3ds, Ds titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, should have mentioned it is for TWiLightMode++. The Touch Screen works perfectly. But when starting up a Game using TWiLightMode++, it stops. Get out it, it goes back to Normal. I use my SCDS2, the same Game works perfectly fine.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, should have mentioned it is for TWiLightMode++. The Touch Screen works perfectly. But when starting up a Game using TWiLightMode++, it stops. Get out it, it goes back to Normal. I use my SCDS2, the same Game works perfectly fine.
This thread is about the touchscreen not working specifically in DS(i) mode [TWL_FIRM], yet working perfectly fine in 3DS mode [NATIVE_FIRM].

You may want to check if the touchscreen reacts differently when playing in these modes like in the examples below:
  • DSiWare - ([fre]eShop digital download of) The Legend of Zelda - Four Swords Anniversary Edition | This is DSi mode or TWL mode.
  • NDS gamecart - (Physical real copy of) Mario Kart DS | This is DS mode or SRL mode, which is a little different than the above TWL mode.
  • DS flashcart - R4i Gold 3DS Plus -or- R4iSDHC series | This is also DS mode or SRL mode.

A few have reported touchscreen working in SRL mode but not TWL mode.
  • :!: TWiLightMenu is DSiWare at boot, but I would not consider its result as part of TWL mode due to it being a hypervisor.
  • :!: Due to its dual 3DS and NDS flashcart design, I would be wary of gauging the SuperCard DSTWO behavior as part of the DS flashcart category or SRL mode.
Basically, test the touchscreen in these two scenarios. Don't use the TWiLightMenu and DSTWO flashcart.
  1. TWL mode with a DSiWare game.
  2. SRL mode with a NDS game -or- DS only flashcart.

Things you can also do or check for:

Reactions: Quantumcat

Alejandro Velasco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I have the same issue. In my case, it is the bottom right corner that is always pressed in DS/i apps. Nintendo DS Connections and R4 both have the issue. My 3DS was in 6.4 version, no CFW and I updated it, hoping the issue would go away, but it persists even in 11.13.0-45U. Prior to updating I had restored the 3DS ("formatted" it) from settings and it didn't work either.

Does anyone have a working solution by now?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hi. I have the same issue in my 3DS with no custom firmware. It happens in Nintendo DS Connections and also in my R4. In my case, it is the bottom right corner that is detected as pressed. The touchpad works flawlessly in 3DS menu.

My 3DS was in version 6.4.something with no custom firmware, I restored it from settings ("formatted" it) and it didn't work. Then, I updated the 3DS hoping it would solve the issue, it did not. Now my 3DS is in version 11.13.0-45U and the issue still persists.

Does anyone have a working solution for this now?

Thanks.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Alejandro Velasco,
  1. Add these to your SD card: 3DS_NVRAMtool , CTRTransfer (Type D9) , new-hbmenu
    • sdmc:/3ds/3DS_NVRAMtool/3DS_NVRAMtool.3dsx
      • This is if you use Homebrew Launcher and 3DSX apps. Otherwise, FBI install the CIA version to HOME Menu.
    • sdmc:/gm9/scripts/CTRTransfer (Type D9).gm9
    • sdmc:/boot.3dsx
  2. Insert the SD card to the 3DS, turn on the system, hold the (START) button to access Luma3DS chainloader.
  3. GodMode9 → (HOME) button → Scripts...CTRTransfer (Type D9)Reset NVRAM image → (START) button → etc.
  4. Exit the script. Press (START) to exit GodMode9 and boot to HOME Menu.
  5. Homebrew Launcher3DS_NVRAMtool Press B to write nvram.bin to 3DS → press (START) to exit app.
  6. Go to System SettingsOther Settings. Change all the information in:
    • Profile: User Name, Birthday, Region Settings
    • Date & Time: Today's Date, Current Time
  7. Go to Profile → Nintendo DS Profile. Change the Message and Color.
  8. Go to System SettingsNintendo DS ConnectionsOK.
  9. When the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Setup appears, press (B) to exit.
  10. Back out with (B) button and exit System Settings pressing the ☒ Close.

Nov-12-2020 Edit
- There was a mistake in step 1 where the 3DS_NVRAMtool.3dsx was listed in the wrong location.

This was the original written error,
  • sdmc:/3DS_NVRAMtool/3DS_NVRAMtool.3dsx
Thanks to @Finn_MacCool for catching this!

Dec-08-2020 Edit -
If 3DS_NVRAMtool returns the message "Error opening nvram.bin", double check that these two (2) files are in the same directory.

Correct
  • sdmc:/3ds/3DS_NVRAMtool/3DS_NVRAMtool.3dsx
  • sdmc:/3ds/3DS_NVRAMtool/nvram.bin
Correct
  • sdmc:/3ds/3DS_NVRAMtool.3dsx
  • sdmc:/3ds/nvram.bin
Wrong
  • sdmc:/3ds/3DS_NVRAMtool.3dsx
  • sdmc:/3ds/3DS_NVRAMtool/nvram.bin

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Alejandro Velasco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@TurdPooCharger

Thanks for your answer. But I don't have a CFW on my 3DS (No Homebrew Luancher on the console). I tried installing it to fix this problem, but precisely because of the problem, I can't install it since I can´t use the touchscreen inside the Japanese Flipnote Exploit.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Alexander1970
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have another 3DS with A9LH and an R4 Infinity Dual-Core 2013

For your other 3DS, update its custom firmware from A9LH to B9S.

This DS flashcart is not on the compatible ntrboot list. If you try to reflash it with ntrboot, this will likely permanently softbrick your cart.

R4-3ds-20190407175521.8492540015.jpg

Reactions: Alexander1970

Alejandro Velasco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Mine is a little bit newer. But already did it, already bricked it hahaha. Any ideas on how to recover it? I have another of those cards, don't know if that might help.

Another thing is, do you have any ideas why the touchscreen issue appeared on the non-CFW 3DS? The only "weird" thing I did with that one was playing DS games using that R4 card (which I had been doing for more than 4 years now).

Btw, thank you very much for your help these past hours, I appreciate your guidance a lot.

Last edited by Alejandro Velasco,

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Mine is a little bit newer. But already did it, already bricked it hahaha. Any ideas on how to recover it? I have another of those cards, don't know if that might help.

Another thing is, do you have any ideas why the touchscreen issue appeared on the non-CFW 3DS? The only "weird" thing I did with that one was playing DS games using that R4 card (which I had been doing for more than 4 years now).

Btw, thank you very much for your help these past hours, I appreciate your guidance a lot.
Sadly Turd did mention that card likely is going to be perma softbricked as its not one thats meant to be reflashed. There may be somethings to look into. But a new R4 is likely going to be the answer.

Alejandro Velasco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Sadly Turd did mention that card likely is going to be perma softbricked as its not one thats meant to be reflashed. There may be somethings to look into. But a new R4 is likely going to be the answer.
Yeah, I guessed that. Sadly, I didn't see his post earlier and thought to give it a try. However, there's something weird, I didn't even try to inject the R4 when it bricked. What I did was opening the ntrboot tool and selecting a card family, which is supposed to open the "Dump file, Inject, etc..." menu, but the console just froze for a long while and I had to force shutdown. Then, the R4 got a no icon behavior.

However, I'm trying to get a new R4 with preloaded ntrboot.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yeah, I guessed that. Sadly, I didn't see his post earlier and thought to give it a try. However, there's something weird, I didn't even try to inject the R4 when it bricked. What I did was opening the ntrboot tool and selecting a card family, which is supposed to open the "Dump file, Inject, etc..." menu, but the console just froze for a long while and I had to force shutdown. Then, the R4 got a no icon behavior.

However, I'm trying to get a new R4 with preloaded ntrboot.

This flashcart model also isn't supported. The only one made by http://www.r4infinity.com that is the Infinity 3 R4i. It's the one that's at the 2nd row, 5th column in this ntrboot list image.

sample2.jpg

You can try to restore the cart with one of these flashroms found at Sección V - Quitar ntrboot (Section V - Removing ntrboot).
  • R4i_Gold_3DS_(HW_4)-Flashrom.zip
  • R4i_Gold_3DS_(HW_A5)-Flashrom.zip

If USD $20 is affordable to you and you have the patience to wait up to a 1 month (maybe even longer due to Coronavirus), go with the R4i Gold 3DS Plus. It has a dual mode switch that changes between DS mode and ntrboot mode. Also, it has no time bomb (YS Menu).

Alejandro Velasco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About the other 3DS. I followed the guide but got some missing games after transferring contents. So, I'm following this guide of yours to restore them: https://gbatemp.net/threads/i-made-...to-recover-missing-games.519409/#post-8307379
That guide's kinda outdated.

Examples of transferring, copying, or cloning the Nintendo 3DS folder between different 3DS systems or different <ID0> subfolders.

Examples of fixing the SD card's title.db & import.db where all titles are delisted from the HOME Menu.

Examples of correcting the encryption between movable.sed KeyY and Nintendo 3DS/<ID0> subfolder.

Examples of two (2) <ID1> child folders found within the same <ID0> parent folder.

Alejandro Velasco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Thanks, it worked.

About the R4 card, sadly the ntrboot tool didn't recognize it for restoring the flashrom. What is weird is that the same tool does recognize my other identic R4 as a R4 Dual Core card (using the tool in my other 3DS, not the .nds version of the tool) and even allows me to dump that card's flashrom.

Alejandro Velasco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
This flashcart model also isn't supported. The only one made by http://www.r4infinity.com that is the Infinity 3 R4i. It's the one that's at the 2nd row, 5th column in this ntrboot list image.

sample2.jpg

You can try to restore the cart with one of these flashroms found at Sección V - Quitar ntrboot (Section V - Removing ntrboot).
  • R4i_Gold_3DS_(HW_4)-Flashrom.zip
  • R4i_Gold_3DS_(HW_A5)-Flashrom.zip

If USD $20 is affordable to you and you have the patience to wait up to a 1 month (maybe even longer due to Coronavirus), go with the R4i Gold 3DS Plus. It has a dual mode switch that changes between DS mode and ntrboot mode. Also, it has no time bomb (YS Menu).

So, I have new info that might be useful for adding to the guides or something. Turns out that the flashcart in the quoted post does work with NTRBoot using the 3DS Multisystem method, can be used to install CFW to a Nintendo 3DS and can be then restored to its normal functioning. I'll explain this further:

- I had two of these carts and I intended to use one to apply the ntrboot method to my 3DS which has the touchscreen issue.
- I went for the single system method as I recalled these R4 Infinity Dual Core flashcarts were some kind of bootleg (sorry if it's not the right word) R4iSDHC Dual-Core, which is a cart in the compatibility list.
- I put the ntrboot_flasher_nds.nds in the cart's SD and opened it. However, this version of the flasher does not support the Dual-Core carts, which I didn't know. Thinking it should be the "R4i Gold 3DS" option (since it mentioned another Infinity card, the Infinity 3), I went with that one and it said "flashcart setup failed".
- Then, as the guides said it should take you to the "Inject firm, dump flash, ..." menu, I thought to try some of the options to see if one of those was compatible and showed the options (I know, that was dumb). All of those threw the same "setup failed" error until I reached the Ace3DS+ option, in which the system froze for a long while. That's when I decided to turn off my console (force turn off, because regular turn off didn't work) and remove the cart. After powering up again, the cart was dead.

I had tried the 3DS Mutisystem option to revive the bricked R4 since I noticed the Luma version of ntrboot_flasher it had more cart options, including the dual core one, but it didn't work as it said my cart was not compatible. After the previous posts and a long while of trying to revive the damaged cart using the other one I had, I found that those R4 Infinity Dual Core carts are effectively "bootleg" R4iSDHC Dual-Core carts, since the firmware and kernel files are the same in both. So, I took the risk and inserted my other R4 (the working one) in my other 3DS (the one with boot9strap in which I tried the multisystem option) and opened the Luma version of ntrboot_flasher:

- I went to the Dual Core cart option and it did open the "Inject ntrboot, Dump flash, Restore flash, ..." menu, unlike with the bricked R4.
- I dumped the flash and injected ntrboot.
- Went with the 3DS multisystem ntr guide using that cart and it worked.
- Restored the flash with the Luma ntrboot_flasher.
- The cart came back to normal functioning and CFW was installed in the 3DS with the touchscreen issue.

So, as you can see, the Luma version of ntrboot_flasher does work with these carts, as they are practically R4iSDHC Dual-Core carts. And the one I bricked was because of misusing the .nds version of ntrboot_flasher.

I will now continue with the process to fix the touchscreen issue in the 3DS console.

Thanks.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm