Hardware Third party Wii U controllers

drakorex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
41jMtoi78eL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I saw this little baby on amazon. I like the idea of the right stick being moved to where it should be, but... Why the hell are A and B swapped? Seems like it might feel a little weird. Has anyone tried this? Also been seeing some afterglows here and there. Anyone care to say what the best third party controller is?

Intentional

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh wow, I bet they swapped the A and B buttons to fix the button mapping. On the Wii U, 'A' is the main button used in games for menu selecting and what not, which takes some getting used to.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
just switch the X and Y buttons and it would be a freaking 360 controller. :angry:

If they had rotated them 90 degrees clockwise that would have been A LITTLE better fix for the "A is used for everything" problem as it would have put the A and B in a more comfortable position for NES games and the X and Y in a better position for GC games ... but it would still suck to have a different button position than the main gamepad. :glare:

Also where are the 4 lights telling which player it is? all I see is a single, WaveBird-style power light in the middle.

At least it means SOMEONE has figured something out about the communications with this thing. It makes me a little more optimistic that Wii-mode homebrew might be able to interact with the Pro Controller.

BenRK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The kind of controller I want for the Wii U is one that looks like a normal Wii U Pro controller but acts like a classic controller in Wii mode without needing to plug it in to a Wiimote... And those "pro" controllers out there that offer such functionality look ugly and look like they would be uncomfortable to hold.

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh wow, I bet they swapped the A and B buttons to fix the button mapping. On the Wii U, 'A' is the main button used in games for menu selecting and what not, which takes some getting used to.
To each his own I guess. I can never get used to the Xbox controller because the buttons are wrong. its one of my major gripes with the console and constantly screws me up when using it. that nyko controller looks like a nightmare having a b swapped but not x y.

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I looked on nykos page and the buttons are not swapped in their photo. I think the photo in this thread is not correct or not the final product.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The sticks on the WiiU Pro controller are where the sticks should be. So much more comfortable than the 360 controller. Definitely perhaps my favorite game controller. It handles so much better, not as clunky, not as heavy, and the layout is just win.

tronic307

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks teh shite. They actually swapped the A & B buttons? I go between 360 and Nintendo layouts without confusion. Who is this thing for?

BIFFTAZ

Trophies
XP
Country
I have this GAMEware one, I quite like it, no problems with it at all. Little bit cheaper than the official controller too.

140.jpg
Just went to GAME.co.uk and couldn't find that controller. Did you get it in store? And how much was it? Thanks!

Suicide

'Nuff said...
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I looked on nykos page and the buttons are not swapped in their photo. I think the photo in this thread is not correct or not the final product.

I can confirm that Nyko's Controller Pro's button arrangement is the same as it is on the GamePad and Nintendo's own Controller Pro.

Suicide

'Nuff said...
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did they just use a factory reject for the picture they took and ended up being used in OP then?

wiiu-pro.jpg

More than likely. All the buttons are where they should be with the exception of the analog stick placement, which is more like an Xbox 360 controller than a Wii U Pro Controller.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Okay, now than you mention it, though, those buttons almost look Photoshopped on or something. They might have just wanted to enhance the shine a bit but got the button order mixed up in the process.

EDIT : yeah, the light is reflecting from a different angle on those 4 buttons and the home button in the center when compared to the reflections on the analog sticks.

EDIT2 : It's interesting, too, though, that when doing an image search I get at least 2 other models with the same button placement problem coming up in google.
a816-170.jpg

nyko-playpad_iphw17382770.jpg

wpid-NykoPlayPadProAndroidController.jpg

1024376823.jpg
The other two don't seem to be for Wii (one the image name says Android) but whoever was putting together the pictures might have just not been able to see the letters in the photo and enhanced it, drawing them on manually ... but had experience from other non-wii U models that got him confused.

EDIT3 : I now noticed that the non-Wii U Nyko controllers shown here actually have the X and Y positions switched, too, which basically gives them an XBox controller configuration. All the more reason why the photoshopper could have gotten confused from previous experience.

Warlord698

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my guess is that all the current third party controllers are basically just wireless classic controllers ( I had gotten one for my old Wii) basically it just shows up on the Wii as a Wiimote with a classic controller connected (while some have a switch to allow for motion controls to be used, but not all the buttons)

BenRK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys... most of those controllers from Nyko were made for Android tablets... And ALL controller pics are photoshopped...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: while that was a kid-friendly endeavor, this new take will adapt the story Teenage Mutant Ninja...