The Wii U version of Smash Bros. will be playable with GameCube controllers

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Perhaps the Wii U will lose it's SD card slot and Wii BC in the future......

But yeah I agree it was sill to drop BC on the Wii....and then the Wii mini is just trash
Why would it? The SD card is useful for WiiU mode too, the controllers connect via bluetooth which is used for WiiU controllers too and the hardware is basically the same. There are literally no gains for Nintendo if they remove BC at this point as all hardware with the possible exception of the SD slot is needed for WiiU mode too.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Finally they're giving the Wii U the best Nintendo controller!

Why would it? The SD card is useful for WiiU mode too, the controllers connect via bluetooth which is used for WiiU controllers too and the hardware is basically the same. There are literally no gains for Nintendo if they remove BC at this point as all hardware with the possible exception of the SD slot is needed for WiiU mode too.

To make it cheaper to produce do you not remember that the Wii had its NGC-BC removed along with the NGC controller ports and memory card slots?

If they eliminate the Wii-BC from Gen-2 Wii U's then they have a reason to not bother with making any more Wii Mode updates.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
To make it cheaper to produce do you not remember that the Wii had its NGC-BC removed along with the NGC controller ports and memory card slots?

If they eliminate the Wii-BC from Gen-2 Wii U's then they have a reason to not bother with making any more Wii Mode updates.
Yes, but in that case GC hardware (the ports and memory card slots) could be removed. In this case the hardware needs to stay the exact same in order for the WiiU mode to keep all its functionality, it's impossible to remove the bluetooth modules like they did with the GC ports.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I see two USB cables coming out of that thing. I hope that one of those cables is used purely for power. I would hate to lose a USB port.

It'd have been better if they released a new Wii U controller just like the NGC one so there wouldn't be any cables around, except for charging it through USB.

Elliander

Trophies
Website
elliander.etherealspheres.com
XP
Country
United States
Important question about this: If Wii games that support the Gamecube controllers will accept this in Wii mode (such as Smash Bros for the Wii) would that allow DIOS MIOS to work? I thought one of the main problems initially was the way the game would load, but you couldn't get it to go any further because of the lack of a controller.

Alternatively, if someone could make a mini disc adapter with slot-loading capabilities, wouldn't a retail GameCube disc be readable? In which case couldn't we have some kind of way to either rip GameCube discs directly, or a way to play directly from the disc?

I personally have no interest in a solution that would require a Wii and Wii U side by side whenever adding a game. If I have to have two consoles side by side anyway, I'm just going to use My Wi as a GC until a better solution is implemented.

I see two USB cables coming out of that thing. I hope that one of those cables is used purely for power. I would hate to lose a USB port.

I hope it's purely for power and not for data. That way I can just plug it into a USB power adapter like I use for all of my laptop fans I use under my consoles.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It'd have been better if they released a new Wii U controller just like the NGC one so there wouldn't be any cables around, except for charging it through USB.
This allows people to use their old controllers that they still have instead of buying new ones though. Of course you'll need to buy the convert but that's a lot cheaper than 4 new controllers.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Why didn't they just make the Wii U with Gamecube ports in the first place? They did it for the Wii.
They did it for the Wii up until the family version, because it's cheaper to manufacture without them and not many people used it anyway.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
This allows people to use their old controllers that they still have instead of buying new ones though. Of course you'll need to buy the convert but that's a lot cheaper than 4 new controllers.

Buying four controllers would be a bit too much unless it'd be specifically for Smash 4 only as other Wii U games usually work perfectly just with the GamePad.

I've never really liked much the Wii U Pro Controller so I'm happy they're bringing back the NGC controller.

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Oooooh did I see that right? Besides the adapter, new controllers with the logo on it? I'm a sucker for these things I'm buying 4!

Delta517

Its okay...Im a ninja ;)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
For me, a Super Smash and Gamecube controller lover, this is awesome! :D Just wished they would have released it now for Mario Kart 8 too... Have like 5 GC controllers, but now I have to buy Wii U Pro Controllers so my parents can join :( And yes, my parents play it with me and my gf and theyre fucking awesome at it xD

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
I'll buy this adapter if it works for PC. I don't think I'll ever own a Wii U the way things are currently for the console.

Same here, no matter the price. I'll throw out those stupid PS3 and 360 controller from the window at that point.
"Way things currently are" pretty much nintendo pushing out their own games more polished than ever while third party is ignoring it. Perfect buy for PC master race as PS4 and Xbone are just fighting with same games that are coming out for PC as well.

Nintendo still trying to make money off of GameCube controllers. Feel like they should've pushed the Wii U pro controller...

I don't know why but gamecube controller is the best controller ever and now with adult hands it's even better. I'm happy they push it instead of that Wii U gamepad without screen, digital triggers and generic controller look. Now if they would only let us emulate gamepads touchscreen with wiimote things would look really bright.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o