The Wii U version of Smash Bros. will be playable with GameCube controllers

masterchan777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bo0nZHBIUAABqcb.jpg

Nintendo of America announced that the upcoming Wii U version of Smash Bros. will be playable with GameCube controllers. It looks like Nintendo will be releasing The GameCube Controller Adapter for Wii U which is a USB to 4 GameCube controller ports adapter.

:arrow:Source

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, I must've missed this bit. I closed my browser and shut down my computer when I saw Geoff Keighley.

No Mew2King? No Mango? Ah well, it'll still be quite entertaining. Minus Geoff Keighley.

Reactions: Joe88

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
1. Release new console without backwards compatible ports
2. Release game best played with previous gen controllers
3. Release USB adapter for said ports
4. ???
5. Profit

Sounds like a plan. Now does this mean that all adapters will work or will it be limited to a propriety "$30" adapter? (Don't get me wrong, I like the idea, but whyyyy?)

Also Nintendo now is your chance. Release more Wavebirds.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
To be fair this is great for people like me who played Brawl and Melee before it with Gamecube controllers since forever. Of course it won't save the WiiU but that's not what it's for :P

Oh sure, it's just Nin10doh should probably focus more on getting third party devs and more IPs instead of first party adapters.

Enjoy playing SSB with a nunchuck. Gamecube controllers are the only way to play Smash.

Too bad I have no plans on buying a Wii U in it's lifetime :^)

Please let this work with dolphin emulator because I doubt this adapter will be cheap.

You can just buy a $15 Mayflash adapter for PC, works great and works with the Wii and the Wii U.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The adapter looks pretty cool, but... Going back two generations just to appease the Nin10yearolds? What's wrong with the Wii U Pro Controllers? That, and I hope this will be supported by more than this one game, a system update that'll cover compatibility would be nice. I'd say that "Gamecube backwards compatibility" would be nice at this point since there's nothing standing in the way of that hardware-wise, but they botched the drive and it doesn't accept Gamecube discs so we might as well forget about that.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The adapter looks pretty cool, but... Going back two generations just to appease the Nin10yearolds? What's wrong with the Wii U Pro Controllers?

Not everyone likes them perhaps. I still have several gamecube controllers. If people want to use them, I don't see anything wrong with this, rather use this than a shoddy third party device.

D

Dork

The adapter looks pretty cool, but... Going back two generations just to appease the Nin10yearolds? What's wrong with the Wii U Pro Controllers?

This is pretty much my view on this, but as a competitive melee player it offers a consistent controller for Melee, Brawl, and now this. Plus it's a full wired connection which is always nice to rid input lag and prevent wireless interference.

The Wii U sure has a ton fuck of controller options now, which is pretty great.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Not everyone likes them perhaps. I still have several gamecube controllers. If people want to use them, I don't see anything wrong with this, rather use this than a shoddy third party device.

Considering Nintendo has had blunders like the N64 controller with build quality, I wouldn't be going about saying third party devices are all shoddy. My adapters work fabulously with the controllers.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering Nintendo has had blunders like the N64 controller with build quality, I wouldn't be going about saying third party devices are all shoddy. My adapters work fabulously with the controllers.

That's what I've heard, esp. with programs like Nintendont, buttons getting "stuck" (is in repeated inputs for a button), too bad Mayflash adapters don't support four slots.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1BDM1oBRJ8