The upcoming Panzer Dragoon remake will also release on Steam, later this year

header.jpg

Late last year, SEGA announced that one of their biggest Sega Saturn classics, Panzer Dragoon, would be getting a full remake. During the Nintendo Direct at E3 2019, we got to get a glimpse at what the reimagined game would look like, along with confirmation of the platform: a presumed exclusive for the Nintendo Switch. Now, that's no longer the case, as Panzer Dragoon: Remake has been announced for PC, and will release on Steam this Winter, alongside the Switch version. Panzer Dragoon II: Zwei will also receive a remake for the same platforms, in 2020.

:arrow: Source

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shenmue bombed in the first place. Well it was Dreamcast's 4th best selling game at 1.2 million copies sold, but didn't come close to the amount they spent on development and marketing.

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not happening, they can't just make it look prettier they lose the code. They would have to start from scratch it would be an expensive long term project, for a game that made them peanuts.
Isn't this game also remade from scratch – or at least, only with reference to the original game and whatever assets they could rip from it?

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't this game also remade from scratch – or at least, only with reference to the original game and whatever assets they could rip from it?

It may be but that doesn't mean they're going to remake Saga. Panzer Dragoon 1 was a game they threw in as an unlock on Orta, it was also ported to PS2 in Japan. It's an on rail shooter and easy to make with no real story or very many cutscenes. Panzer Dragoon Saga is an rpg with many cutscenes and it's not on rail. PD1 was 1 disc while Saga spanned 4 discs. Most importantly they announced 1 and 2 are coming but there has been no mention of Saga ever being remade. It would take a huge budget and a long development time. Some indy company cannot afford that type of project typically. I'll believe a remake will happen when it happens.

The only way I see it happening is with a successful Kickstarter like Shenmue 3.

Last edited by EmulateLife,

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's wrong with it not being on EGS? EGS is utter trash.

He's an EGS shill.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It may be but that doesn't mean they're going to remake Saga. Panzer Dragoon 1 was a game they threw in as an unlock on Orta, it was also ported to PS2 in Japan. It's an on rail shooter and easy to make with no real story or very many cutscenes. Panzer Dragoon Saga is an rpg with many cutscenes and it's not on rail. PD1 was 1 disc while Saga spanned 4 discs. Most importantly they announced 1 and 2 are coming but there has been no mention of Saga ever being remade. It would take a huge budget and a long development time. Some indy company cannot afford that type of project typically. I'll believe a remake will happen when it happens.

The only way I see it happening is with a successful Kickstarter like Shenmue 3.

"Successful" and "Kickstarter" are two words that only seem to make sense in the cases of games that are starting their own original IPs with no intention to be a spiritual successor to a dead franchise is the trend I've noticed with KS games that are commercial and critical successes with no technical problems or missed promises and the like. (Compare Shovel Knight, Dust: An Elysian Tail, and others to, say, Shenmue 3, Mighty No. 9, and Yooka-Laylee, and arguably some aspects of Bloodstained, be it the Kickstarter or the game itself)

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He's an EGS shill.

"Successful" and "Kickstarter" are two words that only seem to make sense in the cases of games that are starting their own original IPs with no intention to be a spiritual successor to a dead franchise is the trend I've noticed with KS games that are commercial and critical successes with no technical problems or missed promises and the like. (Compare Shovel Knight, Dust: An Elysian Tail, and others to, say, Shenmue 3, Mighty No. 9, and Yooka-Laylee, and arguably some aspects of Bloodstained, be it the Kickstarter or the game itself)

Not surprising, EGS needs to fail hard and shut down.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Panzer Dragoon 1 was a game they threw in as an unlock on Orta, it was also ported to PS2 in Japan. It's an on rail shooter and easy to make with no real story or very many cutscenes. Panzer Dragoon Saga is an rpg with many cutscenes and it's not on rail. PD1 was 1 disc while Saga spanned 4 discs. Most importantly they announced 1 and 2 are coming but there has been no mention of Saga ever being remade. It would take a huge budget and a long development time.
I would expect that non-interactive cutscenes and turn-based battles would be a lot easier to make than all the interactive features of Panzer Dragoon. Perhaps they could do it episodically, much like Square is currently doing with FFVII. But this is speculation.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

if one and 2 get good sales i can see saga getting a decent shoot, the source code is nothing of value on this remakes, all this games are made from scratch, every remake is usually made from scratch they dont use the source code(remasters are the ones that straight up use the source codes and hd textures and fps and add shadows and such) and are almost always coded on entirely different engines, so yeah souce code is useless, and assets too since any asset from those days would look extremely ugly in hd.

remakes from scratch this gen that i can think off because their originals are too old to remaster

crash trilogy
spyro trilogy
the legend of zelda links awakening
metroid samus returns
Resident evil 2
crash team racing
shadow of the colossus

upcoming
Final fantasy 7
xenoblade chronicles (probably use the second game engine)

So yeah this gen alone got many full remakes becuase its using the original codding wouldnt make games better so yeah depending on sales saga could have a chance considering they will already have dragon models and fuch made from the first and 2 remake imo.

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Late last year, SEGA announced that one of their biggest Sega Saturn classics, Panzer Dragoon, would be getting a full remake.
Took me a while to notice, but yeah, that's false. Forever Entertainment announced that, who are the publisher of the remake.
SEGA aren't involved with it's development.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I always found them boring back in the day. Guess I'll have another chance to be proven wrong.

Good for me.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if one and 2 get good sales i can see saga getting a decent shoot, the source code is nothing of value on this remakes, all this games are made from scratch, every remake is usually made from scratch they dont use the source code(remasters are the ones that straight up use the source codes and hd textures and fps and add shadows and such) and are almost always coded on entirely different engines, so yeah souce code is useless, and assets too since any asset from those days would look extremely ugly in hd.

remakes from scratch this gen that i can think off because their originals are too old to remaster

crash trilogy
spyro trilogy
the legend of zelda links awakening
metroid samus returns
Resident evil 2
crash team racing
shadow of the colossus

upcoming
Final fantasy 7
xenoblade chronicles (probably use the second game engine)

So yeah this gen alone got many full remakes becuase its using the original codding wouldnt make games better so yeah depending on sales saga could have a chance considering they will already have dragon models and fuch made from the first and 2 remake imo.

For the third time this thread this remake is NOT being done by Sega. So you're basically hoping an indy company will do a big budget game.

Edit: Sorry you said Saga not Sega, still don't see it.

I would expect that non-interactive cutscenes and turn-based battles would be a lot easier to make than all the interactive features of Panzer Dragoon. Perhaps they could do it episodically, much like Square is currently doing with FFVII. But this is speculation.

You're comparing an indy company to Square Enix, don't you think you're dreaming? There's no way you can think Panzer Dragoon Saga would be cheaper and easier to make than Panzer Dragoon. The one thing you have right is the line of thinking of how much it would cost to start Panzer Dragoon Saga from scratch would be comparable to FFVII. The difference is FFVII sold over 10 million copies, Saga sold poorly.

When I say successful Kickstarter I mean meeting the goals that are given money-wise for there to be a remake of Saga, I'm not talking about the quality.

I think some people in this thread are thinking with their hearts and not their heads. It makes no sense financial to re-do Saga financially. It's not a popular game it's really only known by hardcore gamers. Unfortunately casual gamers wouldn't give two shits about it so the sales wouldn't recoup the cost of development like it didn't the first time. Most companies tend to want to make money not lose money. So far the game is 21 years old and there's never even been a rumor about a remake so so far I've been correct.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, what's the deal with Panzer Dragoon? Who owns the rights to it, and whose publishing it? Is it Sega or not? Did Sega lose the rights?

Also, if it's being made from the ground up, neat! I hope it turns out as well as Link's Awakening!

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's confusing because on Wiki it says

Sega announced in December 2018 that Panzer Dragoon and Panzer Dragoon II Zwei are getting high definition remakes. At E3 2019 the publisher, Forever Entertainment S.A. presented the first game trailer on the Nintendo Direct show. The remake of the first Panzer Dragoon game is slated for a worldwide release this winter[17]. The remake of the second game does not have a release date yet.

So Sega announced it, but they aren't the publisher.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Best news here: II Zwei is confirmed!! (I personally only thought the first was announced) :D Although like the first game I did give it another go via emulation recently, and it hasn't aged that well.... so it's good to hear this getting a Steam release as I should be able to, erm, 'test' that version first to see whether it's worth the moolah for the Switch game (and subsequently whether I should get hype for II Zwei)

Saga though? I beat that on release, and also replayed it somewhat via emu....I don't think that's gonna happen: aged badly again, sold peanuts in the first place, probably best left as a fondly remembered Saturn curio imo!

Last edited by mightymuffy,
Reactions: EmulateLife

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Best news here: II Zwei is confirmed!! (I personally only thought the first was announced) :D Although like the first game I did give it another go via emulation recently, and it hasn't aged that well.... so it's good to hear this getting a Steam release as I should be able to, erm, 'test' that version first to see whether it's worth the moolah for the Switch game (and subsequently whether I should get hype for II Zwei)

Saga though? I beat that on release, and also replayed it somewhat via emu....I don't think that's gonna happen: aged badly again, sold peanuts in the first place, probably best left as a fondly remembered Saturn curio imo!

Yeah I beat Panzer Dragoon on SSF emulator, and got to the final boss of Zwei but never beat it. I beat Panzer Dragoon Saga many years ago.

I once found Panzer Dragoon Saga at a Goodwill for $3 and sold it for $300 lol. Complete except missing one sleeve. Once in a life time find.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I beat Panzer Dragoon on SSF emulator, and got to the final boss of Zwei but never beat it. I beat Panzer Dragoon Saga many years ago.

I once found Panzer Dragoon Saga at a Goodwill for $3 and sold it for $300 lol. Complete except missing one sleeve. Once in a life time find.

Damn, I wish I was as lucky!

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah was a free car payment basically. I have a history with that game I was a dumb teenager and bought it when it first came out in Toys R Us played it a little bit and sold it to a pawn shop for $10 (yeah, totally dumb), then later watched the value of it go up in the hundreds. Always regretted selling it and years later I bought it for over $200 on Ebay, beat it sold it for about the same. Then around 2012 I found it at the Goodwill and sold it. So technically I've owned it 3 times one of the rarest games ever. Now I just stick to playing it on an emulator.

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
For the third time this thread this remake is NOT being done by Sega. So you're basically hoping an indy company will do a big budget game.

Edit: Sorry you said Saga not Sega, still don't see it.

You're comparing an indy company to Square Enix, don't you think you're dreaming? There's no way you can think Panzer Dragoon Saga would be cheaper and easier to make than Panzer Dragoon. The one thing you have right is the line of thinking of how much it would cost to start Panzer Dragoon Saga from scratch would be comparable to FFVII. The difference is FFVII sold over 10 million copies, Saga sold poorly.

When I say successful Kickstarter I mean meeting the goals that are given money-wise for there to be a remake of Saga, I'm not talking about the quality.

I think some people in this thread are thinking with their hearts and not their heads. It makes no sense financial to re-do Saga financially. It's not a popular game it's really only known by hardcore gamers. Unfortunately casual gamers wouldn't give two shits about it so the sales wouldn't recoup the cost of development like it didn't the first time. Most companies tend to want to make money not lose money. So far the game is 21 years old and there's never even been a rumor about a remake so so far I've been correct.
cmon saga is not and was never as ambitions as FF7, also ff7 remake is going way overboard and they are adding way too much stuff to it that is why the budget will be off the charts, if they did a 1:1 remake it would have been a much cheaper game to make than any new game because they have the story and the scenarios and everything and would only need to make it look current gen, they are going all out on that.

so yeah if saga was just a 1:1 remake with current gen graphics and didn't try to go way too big it would be a standard game budget, all the ground work for making the game is already made story, scenarios, mechanics, they just need to improve them.

A remake never costs more than a new game because half of the work is already done.Lots of times companys try this and that and loose months of work doing and redoing stuff, once there is a remake they know what to do so those hundreds of hours of experimentation arent lost like developing a new game.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cmon saga is not and was never as ambitions as FF7, also ff7 remake is going way overboard and they are adding way too much stuff to it that is why the budget will be off the charts, if they did a 1:1 remake it would have been a much cheaper game to make than any new game because they have the story and the scenarios and everything and would only need to make it look current gen, they are going all out on that.

so yeah if saga was just a 1:1 remake with current gen graphics and didn't try to go way too big it would be a standard game budget, all the ground work for making the game is already made story, scenarios, mechanics, they just need to improve them.

A remake never costs more than a new game because half of the work is already done.Lots of times companys try this and that and loose months of work doing and redoing stuff, once there is a remake they know what to do so those hundreds of hours of experimentation arent lost like developing a new game.

It's your opinion they'll do a remake but that's all you have. There's no announcement no rumors or nothing. So argue all you want there's absolutely no proof that you're right. If it was so cheap and easy they would have already announced it and not said they're doing 1 and 2 but not Saga so you're just plain wrong unless something changes. That's is a fact argue all you want.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It's your opinion they'll do a remake but that's all you have. There's no announcement no rumors or nothing. So argue all you want there's absolutely no proof that you're right. If it was so cheap and easy they would have already announced it and not said they're doing 1 and 2 but not Saga so you're just plain wrong unless something changes. That's is a fact argue all you want.
lol i never said they are doing it... i said they could easily do them depending on the sales of 1 and 2 obvious...

In this world money is everything if both sell well i dont see why they wouldn't do saga or even hd remaster orta, but like i said its all bout sales, heck if the first one sells badly they might not even make the second one, in this day and age money is what counts in the end.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: