"Sonic Superstars" exclusive Modern Amy costume available for Steam only from Oct 10th to Oct 24th

Amy.png

Some months ago, SEGA opened up a webpage for Sonic Superstars and started offering an exclusive Modern Amy Rose costume to be used in-game by subscribing through their Sonic Superstars Newsletter. However, the Newsletter was limited to only Xbox Series S/X, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Nintendo Switch and Epic Games Store, with Steam users being unable to get their hands on the exclusive costume due to the lack of a Steam option in their Newsletter.

Thankfully, that has changed and starting on October 10th when SEGA themselves updated their Newsletter webpage to add a Steam option for the subscription, but not without a caveat for Steam users.

Players wishing to get the game and the exclusive costume through Steam will only have the possibility of getting it through a limited time compared to the other options. The Newsletter page itself was properly updated with the new Steam option, but alongside it there's a note with the following message:
Sonic Superstars Newsletter said:
Please note that you can only sign up to receive the in-game content on Steam from October 10th, 2023 to October 24th, 2023.

It's currently unknown why SEGA would limit only the Steam release to this limited time frame, but in the meanwhile, Steam users interested in both purchasing Sonic Superstars through Valve's store and getting this exclusive Amy costume will have subscribe to the Sonic Superstars Newsletter from Oct 10th through Oct 24th.

Subscribing to the Newsletter should get a verification email to confirm the account, but the details on how to get the in-game content haven't been received as of the time of writing.
"Sonic Superstars" is just some days away from release, with the game releasing on October 17th, 2023 on multiple platforms.

:arrow: Sonic Superstars Newsletter

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is sonic still relevant ?
As long as people keep buying the games, yes

The franchise has had a bit of a resurgence lately, several good games, Netflix show

Sega has regained some trust after years of mismanagement and bad games

Graxer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I imagine it was some arrangement with Epic so they would get more of the early preorders. There was actually a generic "Windows PC" Option along with the Epic option that bugged out the form when you tried to submit right at the beginning. I assumed that would become Steam but then it disappeared. I actually opted to go for Switch because of this, but this has caused me to cancel my Switch order and order on Steam instead so I can play on the Steam Deck.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The item is also cosmetic and doesn't affect gameplay at all

Does it matter what color Amy's dress is?

• Haha
Reactions: SylverReZ

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still think it is weird, that they decided not to change the hair.

While I'm happy with her renewed interest from Sega, they are pushing her so much, I would be surprise if she didn't show up in the movie.

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
I know this costume is a bonus separated from what I'm going to mention, but I have to mention it anyways, it just makes me sad that Sega is always making these digital deluxe versions of their first party games that essentially feel like a scam for how little they offer most of the time.

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The item is also cosmetic and doesn't affect gameplay at all

Does it matter what color Amy's dress is?
Not speaking about this particular item, but “cosmetic” DLC in general - Extra costumes or little variations in visuals used to be something you could unlock through playing -sometimes as a secret or challenge to discover for people that really put effort into a single game.

These extras made the games unique, and unlocking them was like your own little proof that you loved the game.

The whole, “it’s just cosmetic” attitude comes from competitive online games (to distinguish from “pay to win”) and bled into regular games when failing companies realized there was another revenue stream. It should have never been normalized, but here we are.

GengarsGhostlyGiggles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Not speaking about this particular item, but “cosmetic” DLC in general - Extra costumes or little variations in visuals used to be something you could unlock through playing -sometimes as a secret or challenge to discover for people that really put effort into a single game.

These extras made the games unique, and unlocking them was like your own little proof that you loved the game.

The whole, “it’s just cosmetic” attitude comes from competitive online games (to distinguish from “pay to win”) and bled into regular games when failing companies realized there was another revenue stream. It should have never been normalized, but here we are.

freaking exactly!

James_

aka Underscore_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to note that the Amy costume is also timed for all the other platforms, though you do have until the end of January to get it.

I'm not really sure why they would only allow Steam users to get it for 2 weeks but... it's an optional free cosmetic that doesn't change the game... so... okay...?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly forgot about the whole costume thing in Sonic Superstars. What I don’t understand is why you have to make an account and sign up for a digital newsletter to get a limited edition costume that honestly doesn’t look that great, now coupled with the fact that it’s even more limited on some platforms but not others. Why not just make it an in-game unlockable or, if Sega wanted to be scummy, make it a $2 DLC or something. Sega has really been overcomplicating the whole “preorder bonus” stuff for a while and it’s obnoxious. All that time and resources could be better spent making better games (looking at you, Origins!)

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So, the outfit is locked to Steam? Where are the defenders of this practice?

Oh my sweet baby reptile if it was Epic...

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well,but why not even being available on Steam I don’t get it?
Besides maybe Sonic the Hedgehog wants to befriend Jazz Jackrabbit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Z like Sunday morning