Project 06, a recreation of Sonic 06, releases its 5th demo, featuring Silver The Hedgehog

Sonic fans tend to agree that out of the surplus of Sonic titles available, Sonic The Hedgehog (2006) tends to get the most infamous attention, even if deserved or not, it's without a doubt the lightning rod of bad criticism for the Sonic franchise. Interestingly enough, it seems like Sonic '06 (as it has been named by the fans) hasn't seen a modern release in any shape or form (not even on Steam, similar to Sonic Heroes) since its original release back in the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Given the popularity of the title, and its limited availability in modern days, it hasn't seen much in terms of improvements from the homebrew/modding community.
But all this changed when argentinian programmer, Ian Moris, who goes by the alias of ChaosX2006, begun work on something called Project 06 (or P-06 for short).

Project 06 is a complete recreation from scratch (or sometimes considered a remake by some) of Sonic 06, built from the ground-up in the Unity engine.
What this means is that P-06 is a complete remake/recreation of the game in Unity without relying in any type of source code or port prior to this, including recreating the entirety of the code, models, characters, animations, textures, shaders, levels, etc. Some assets like models, stages and textures can surely be ripped from the original game, but they had to be modified in several levels (or entirely) in order to work correctly with the Unity engine.

P-06 has been in development for around 6 years, with the very first demo of it being released 4 years ago in April 19th, featuring two levels from Sonic's campaign only, these being Wave Ocean and Kingdom Valley, subsequently continuing support all the way throughout 2019 to include a variety of Quality of Life improvements as well as adding three more levels for Sonic in the 2nd demo, released in October of the same year. Since then, ChaosX2006 continued work on the project, releasing a 3rd demo in July, 2020 featuring the all of Sonic's levels from 06, and then a 4th demo including Shadow and all of his levels by September, 2021.

Today, ChaosX2006 has released its 5th demo for Project 06, this time featuring Silver and the entirety of his levels from 06, making the whole cast of characters finally playable in P-06, meaning Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Rouge, Omega, Silver, Blaze and Amy:

Project 06 not only aims to recreate Sonic 06 faithfully, but Chaos' has also added a bunch of Quality of Life features and bugfixes from the original. These range from movement fixes, like making Sonic and Silver faster, moves for Tails, Rouge and Knuckles ported over from their Adventure titles, loading times have been drastically improved, full on 16:9 support, and a whole lot of other options that the player can fit to their liking, like the behaviour of the Homing Attack, which can be changed from Adventure 1, 2, original, and animations and UI can also be changed according to the user's liking.

Those interested in playing the game can visit ChaosX2006's YouTube Channel and get P-06 from there.

:arrow: ChaosX2006 YouTube Channel

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I haven't finished Sonic 06 in any capacity, I for once second this motion.
I was never fond of Sonic Adventure 1, despite playing it during its original release time frame, nostalgia doesn't blind me to how horrible a lot of the aspects in that game are. The gameplay in it is fun for sure, but that's limited to certain levels for Sonic, Knuckles and perhaps Gamma, out of that, the rest don't hold up.
I much prefer SA2 over SA1, it has way more production value, still holds up and is way more fun to play overall.
SA2 I think suffers from forcing you to play knuckles/tails(rouge/eggman) levels between the meat - Shadow and Sonic

I have a really hard time playing the game anymore because I would really rather just play 3-4 sonic levels in a row and maybe a knuckles level here or there if I felt like it

SA2 just feels super choppy for that reason - haven't been able to get back into since I was a kid. SA1 however still holds up and I could pick it up any day and have fun

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SA2 I think suffers from forcing you to play knuckles/tails(rouge/eggman) levels between the meat - Shadow and Sonic

I have a really hard time playing the game anymore because I would really rather just play 3-4 sonic levels in a row and maybe a knuckles level here or there if I felt like it

SA2 just feels super choppy for that reason - haven't been able to get back into since I was a kid. SA1 however still holds up and I could pick it up any day and have fun
I play SA2 a lot, but I really only play the Sonic and Shadow stages. Unless I'm doing a complete run.

Reactions: x65943

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I play SA2 a lot, but I really only play the Sonic and Shadow stages. Unless I'm doing a complete run.
Real question, if I don't want to play the other missions is there any way to do just sonic/shadow?

Been too many years I can't remember - and when I tried to play recently I could not figure it out

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hot take: It's 100% better than Sonic Adventure 1.
There can be only one response to that
go-away.gif

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There can be only one response to that
go-away.gif
The gameplay is actually pretty solid except for when it glitches. Shadow's levels are ass but Sonic and Silver's sections of the game are pretty good (again, if you don't run into glitches, the glitchiest part is probably within the first hour of the game).

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What kind of wizardry is this dev guy summoning in order to concoct such an entirely revamped enhanced revision? My little nephews love him for this masterpiece... Chef's kiss 😗🤏😁

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I can't believe how everyone praises Sonic Mania. It's basically the same three previous games with a couple new moves.

Its basically a romhack.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't believe how everyone praises Sonic Mania. It's basically the same three previous games with a couple new moves.

Its basically a romhack.
Can't tell if this is sarcasm or real. Considering I've played the game, I say there is a huge difference between a ROM hack and a homage title that meshes elements from the original games into one package, and does it in a way that isn't just hacked up like you would typically see in traditional ROM hacks. People praise it because it's a Sonic title worth playing, though of course there are other Sonic titles worth playing too, Sonic Mania just happens to make the list of titles worth playing to most people. Sometimes the best kinds of games are those that did the job well in the past, capturing what made those titles succeed as a series and combining them into a more fine tuned title gives people the best of both worlds, a blast from the past in a modernized way. Why break what wasn't broken, utilize what works well, sometimes you don't need fancy 3D, realistic lighting, etc. to achieve a fun experience.

Reactions: eyeliner

SonicRings

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can't tell if this is sarcasm or real. Considering I've played the game, I say there is a huge difference between a ROM hack and a homage title that meshes elements from the original games into one package, and does it in a way that isn't just hacked up like you would typically see in traditional ROM hacks. People praise it because it's a Sonic title worth playing, though of course there are other Sonic titles worth playing too, Sonic Mania just happens to make the list of titles worth playing to most people. Sometimes the best kinds of games are those that did the job well in the past, capturing what made those titles succeed as a series and combining them into a more fine tuned title gives people the best of both worlds, a blast from the past in a modernized way. Why break what wasn't broken, utilize what works well, sometimes you don't need fancy 3D, realistic lighting, etc. to achieve a fun experience.
I just don't agree that Mania is the true successor to S3&K. Like, it just doesn't feel like one. I don't know. The gameplay wasn't doing it any favours, either. It's just a super easy version of S3&K with some added flair. I wish I knew why I felt this way. Like, I played through it a couple times and haven't touched it since. S3&K, on the other hand, I can play through every day of the damn week and I'd find it fun as hell. Same with Sonic 2, to a lesser extent.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

Its basically a romhack.
I just don't agree that Mania is the true successor to S3&K. Like, it just doesn't feel like one. I don't know. The gameplay wasn't doing it any favours, either. It's just a super easy version of S3&K with some added flair. I wish I knew why I felt this way. Like, I played through it a couple times and haven't touched it since. S3&K, on the other hand, I can play through every day of the damn week and I'd find it fun as hell. Same with Sonic 2, to a lesser extent.

I also agree with these sentiments. To this day, I still don't like Mania, at all. There's too many things on it that just don't sit well for me.

Rehashing old zones to make up more than half of its available stages with only around 4-5 being original zones makes it have less original/unique zones than even the original Sonic 1, reusing the awful Sonic 2 sprites for Sonic (yeah, I never liked them nor Sonic 1/CDs), and worse that they didn't add an option to toggle what set of sprites you want at least for Sonic (S3&K should have been the default sprites for continuation purposes, but at least having the option should be in there, it always baffled me why the Sonic homebrew community just drools all over the Sonic 2 sprites), the change in colour made to Knuckles to give it that "Saturn" flare which makes him look pink now, same for Sonic's colour being changed to light blue, the bosses feel more or less uninspired (though the variety in how to defeat them is okay).
I can keep going, but I just feel that many things were a step back compared to Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Sure the Drop Dash was a good new physics mechanic, and having Ray and Mighty in the game are good things too, but that alone doesn't make it up for me, neither did the new zones.

Anyway, let's go back in topic to Sonic 06 lol

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea but which version of Unity can run on the Vita?
I don't even know what that's supposed to mean. None of the consoles "run Unity". Unity is an SDK with support for exporting games to consoles, there are no instances of Unity actually running on the consoles to play compiled games. You also don't need to use Unity in the first place. Just take the source code if available (probably C# code) and rewrite it with the correct instruction calls for the Vita's hardware. Or if the project files and/or source code are unavailable and the developer won't give them on request, you recreate the game and rip or decompile what you can.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)