"Sonic Origins Plus" officially announced, features playable Amy

UPDATE: Sega has just released a trailer for the game in its official "Sonic The Hedgehog" YouTube Channel. The trailer came just a couple hours after the ComicBook.com article that got posted and then deleted, leaking the information of the game beforehand.

The whoopsies keep on coming for Sonic Origins related news, since not only was a rating for the alleged "Sonic Origins Plus" expansion leaked on Korean boards some months ago, but now we get new information regarding the elusive expansion to Sonic Origins.

Website ComicBook.com posted an article by mistake on March 22nd about "Sonic Origins Plus" with brand new information regarding the title. Not only was the release date and full price tag revealed, but also the entirety of what the expansion will include, as well as other features and physical media that will go alongside it.

According to the leaked article, the game will release on June 23rd to celebrate Sonic's anniversary, and the price tag for it will be $39.99, in both physical and digital formats (unlike the original Sonic Origins which was only released in digital form). Gamers which already own Sonic Origins will be able to upgrade their base game for a mere $9.99 to add all of the features that the "Plus" expansion brings.

As for the actual features that the Plus expansion will bring, this is what the leaked article listed:
  • (Sonic Origins) Main Game
  • 12 Game Gear Games Emulated and Playable in the Museum. These include:
    • Sonic the Hedgehog
    • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    • Sonic Chaos
    • Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
    • Sonic Drift
    • Sonic Drift 2
    • Sonic Spinball
    • Sonic the Hedgehog Triple Trouble
    • Tails Adventure
    • Tails' Skypatrol
    • Sonic Labyrinth
    • Sonic Blast
  • Classic Amy as a Playable Character in Sonic the Hedgehog 1, 2, 3, and Sonic CD
  • Knuckles as a Playable Character in Sonic CD
  • All Previously Released Sonic Origins DLC
  • 20-Page Artbook (Physical exclusive)
  • Reversible Coversheet with New, Never-Before-Seen Art (Physical exclusive)
Sonic Origins Plus will be available in both physical and digital formats for Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series S|X and PC.

:arrow: Archived leaked article from Comicbook.com

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Playable Amy and Knuckles in CD is nice and some bonus ROMs will be fun but they need to give the rest of the package a ton of polish and refinement. It was seriously lacking in consistency and replayability.

Also please swap out the replacement prototype tracks with versions that don't sound like arse.

Missing Number

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
if they really want to impress, they'd do some mania x origins and call it "Lock-On Technology!" so i can play as ray and mighty in the classics, and amy in the mania... and run through the whole thing in 1 story

and if they REALLLLLLLY want to impress.... those GG titles would get the triple trouble treatment
240px-Lock-On_Technology.png

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
still no sonic 3 original music? HARD PASS stuck to emus
To be fair, you can mod those back in, I actually modded a few tracks in Sonic Origins myself, and some SFX too.
I made it so that Sonic CD shares the same jumping and spin dash sound as the rest of the series, restored the Sonic 3 tracks, and I think I have a couple other mods installed in, but can't remember which ones atm.

Reactions: AngryCinnabon

DarkVoidPeru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Game Gears games are not bad, but I really wanted at least more Genesis / MegaDrive Sonic games like:
- Sonic Spinball
- Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
- Sonic 3D Blast

But like I said, that's not bad at all :)

Ffr9hX-UAAIqOTs.jpg

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Game Gears games are not bad, but I really wanted at least more Genesis / MegaDrive Sonic games like:
- Sonic Spinball
- Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
- Sonic 3D Blast

But like I said, that's not bad at all :)

Ffr9hX-UAAIqOTs.jpg
GG Sonic 1 and 2 are really good!

I played the homebrew remake on PS4 and had a lot of fun.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
still no sonic 3 original music? HARD PASS stuck to emus
If you want to be pedantic, the included tracks ARE the "original" S3 tracks. Honestly, ever since I heard the S3 prototype versions on the Hidden Palace stream I honestly think they sound pretty fantastic (especially compared to the PC releases) and overall more consistent with the rest of the OST. Carnival Night is simply a better track. But nostalgia is a powerful drug to beat.

They just need to use the correct, most refined versions in Origins. Not the garbage they found from their archives.

Reactions: Defective1Up

James_

aka Underscore_, or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was literally just talking about the recent Plus leaks with my friends. The fact the trailer dropped while we were talking about it... there couldn't be any better timing lmao

As for my reaction: nice to see Amy as a playable character after the original promise of new characters, and Knuckles now being playable in CD is cool too.

The Game Gear games are nice, but like DarkVoidPeru said above me, getting some of the Genesis titles / versions instead would've been a lot better. Even if that meant they would get pulled off of all the stores.

Some of the games feel like padding to get the total number of games to 16, too... like really, who the fuck wants to play Labyrinth and Blast, other than to see how bad they are?

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
like really, who the fuck wants to play Labyrinth and Blast, other than to see how bad they are?
What.

Sonic 3D Blast is different from the standard, but very enjoyable if the user likes it – As with all things in life. You might not like it, but that's your opinion.

3D Blast got a Director's Cut and that's pretty cool:

Sonic fans can be hostile and very defensive so sometimes it's better not to get into a discussion with them.

Reactions: cvskid

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im sorry not sorry but just gonna say this. It wasn't kool when they added Game Gear games to Sonic Adventure DX, why would SEGA think it is kool now? Not even adding the Genesis version of Sonic Spinball & Mean Bean Machine. Maybe SEGA should of just made Sonic 4 Episode 3 instead of Sonic Origins...

Reactions: 64bitmodels

James_

aka Underscore_, or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What.

Sonic 3D Blast is different from the standard, but very enjoyable if the user likes it – As with all things in life. You might not like it, but that's your opinion.
I'm talking about Sonic Blast, not Sonic 3D Blast.

Y'know, the one shown in the trailer.

1679593036761.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1