'The Tetris Effect' book author sues Apple over its 'Tetris' movie

Apple_TV_Tetris_key_art_graphic_header_4_1_show_home.jpg.og.jpg

Dan Ackerman, author of the 2016 book The Tetris Effect and editor-in-chief at Gizmodo, has sued Apple, the Tetris Company and other related parties for allegedly ripping off his book for the 2023 live action Apple TV Tetris movie. Ackerman claims that the parties involved in making the film copied “the exact same feel, tone, approach, and scenes” from his book; adding that the film "liberally borrowed numerous specific sections and events of the book" and was "similar in almost all material respects" to it.

The lawsuit mentions that the Tetris Company was provided a pre-publication copy of Ackerman's book and subsequently dissuaded the author from adapting projects for his book.

Ackerman is asking for money damages equaling at least 6% of the film's $80 million production budget.

:arrow: SOURCE 1, SOURCE 2

gaga941021

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Gizmodo vs Apple. Whoever loses we all win.

Anyway will await some more in depth analysis and comparison as what I have seen of this in the past is actually quite hard to make a case for. Spy thriller as a unique framing device for a business film is a stretch though from where I sit as it is one of the bigger choices for it historically, with what I know of the story of Tetris making it even more apt for it (who had rights, last minute deals, multiple people competing... plus the whole cold war thing).

and have not watched the tetris so will go with my usual suggestion in these scenarios

Not Gizmodo vs Apple.

An editor at Gizmodo vs Apple. Read.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Spy thriller as a unique framing device for a business film is a stretch though from where I sit as it is one of the bigger choices for it historically, with what I know of the story of Tetris making it even more apt for it (who had rights, last minute deals, multiple people competing... plus the whole cold war thing).
I haven't watched it or read the book, but I read the court filing.

If they can prove that there are similarities & also the claims that they had discussed the details before the movie story was written then they have a pretty open and shut case.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: My ping times even lol