Nintendo Sues Owner of 2 Prominent ROM-Hosting Sites

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Meteor7, Jul 21, 2018.

Front-page
    nintendo logo.
    Nintendo has filed a lawsuit through the federal court in the state of Arizona against the owner of 2 major ROM hosting sites, Jacob Mathias, and his Arizona-based company, Mathias Designs L.L.C. The company is being sued for unfair competition, as well as trademark and copyright infringement for featuring readily accessible retro ROMs, proprietary BIOS software, and copyrighted musical recordings and sounds.

These contents are reportedly uploaded and maintained directly by Mathias's company on a regular basis. In the motion, Nintendo also claims that the defendant is profiteering off of the popularity and subsequent ad-revenue of his sites, with one site regularly reaching over 17 million visitors per month. This is popularity gained, of course, exclusively from providing Nintendo's copyrighted content, that being both in the form of software as well as copyrighted visual logos to advertise the content.

Under the count of "unfair competition", Nintendo claims that:
    Nintendo is seeking compensation of $150,000 in statutory damages, on top of up to $2,000,000 for the infringement of each Nintendo trademark. Because there are more than 140 copyrighted titles and 40 trademarks reportedly being infringed, this could possibly result in upwards of $100 million in damages when totaled. In addition, they are demanding that Mathias provide them information on the sources of any and all infringing material hosted on his sites. Of course, Nintendo also seeks to shut both sites down with this motion. Mathias himself has yet to publicly respond to the allegations.

:arrow:Source

Discussion (151 replies)
  1. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    So, how fucked are those 2 guys? Also, I never even heard of their website.

NutymcNuty likes this.
  2. mattytrog

mattytrog Not on my watch.

Apr 27, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Better off going to Cuba or Russia while they can...

3. phreaksho

phreaksho GBAtemp Regular

Oct 27, 2007
    United States
    Post falls, Idaho
    Geez... you would think that these guys would go after people distributing the newer stuff..

4. Darth Meteos

Darth Meteos Entertainer

GBAtemp Patron
    Darth Meteos is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 6, 2015
    Australia
    Down Under
    This site was like my... I wanna say third... place to check for ROMs. Christ, what do I do, now?!

Neath, SpiffyJUNIOR, gameboy and 2 others like this.
  5. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Nintendo must be losing money somehow. Try doing more ports. :creep:

(This is sarcasm)

6. tomGER

tomGER GBAtemp Fan

Feb 6, 2017
    Germany
    I'd guess that finding the owner of that site was "easy" when compared to those sharing newer content.

7. dmace81

dmace81 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 3, 2008
    United States
    Yet thousands of rom websites still exist. Good luck taking them all down Nintendo. So stupid. Im glad I hacked my 3ds so I can get games free now. I supported Nintendo enough through the years rebuying the same games over and over. All I see in them is greed now. If they want people to quit downloading roms then make 30+ year old games cheaper than 5 to 10 dollars.

8. Song of storms

Song of storms GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 18, 2018
    Antarctica
    What were they supposed to do? Let them host their games for free? Companies must protect their own stuff or they give free ground for people to do anything they want with them. Why do you think that Game Freak actively shuts down Pokemon fangames? For fun?

These idiots hosted a warez website in Arizona, something that you can't just swipe under the rug. Had they hosted it in Panama or another country where the authorities don't care, they would've gotten away with it. This is just playing stupid games and winning stupid prizes.

9. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Counter

Aug 15, 2012
    Ghana
    Where my feet lie on the ground
    So what happens to him now? Surely he doesn't have that much money with him?

10. Song of storms

Jul 18, 2018
    Antarctica
    With 17 million visitors per month? It's safe to say that he got at least $10k per month.

11. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    The one place I could get my Xbox games without adfly. RIP

weatMod, SpiffyJUNIOR and Mnecraft368 like this.
  12. gman666

gman666 Cubicle Expert

Jun 4, 2011
    United States
    a cubicle
    Good rom sites come and go.. That's exactly why I have complete romsets stored on a few drives. I'd like to avoid finding new sites everytime companies send out cease and desist orders.

13. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    I bet they will go after that paradise site also. they have better stuff. You would think they would be going after the sites that host links for switch roms as well as the cloud storage used the roms. They could just sit there all day reporting all the links. Really all these sites just need to be in Russia.

14. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2015
    Proper fucked Turkish. Like the rabbit.

15. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Son of a bitch, they don't even sell anything gba related. This is just Nintendo being assholes. And yes I do understand that you have to protect your patents, but this is a weird case of Nintendo just messing with someone, look how they don't (and probably can't) do shit about the 100000 chinese websites.

Last edited by Ericthegreat, Jul 21, 2018
  16. CORE

CORE GBAtemp Regular

Jul 15, 2018
    United Kingdom
    How sad when Nintendo cant sell you the same thing over and over because it freely available although you bought once before however Legal it is Greedy.

weatMod and cvskid like this.
  17. Song of storms

Jul 18, 2018
    Antarctica
    It's a lot easier to sue someone infringing your copyrighted material in a place like the USA than in a place like China. That's why the owner of these two websites would've gotten away with it if he hosted them someplace else.

nebbyisgay and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  18. CORE

CORE GBAtemp Regular

Jul 15, 2018
    United Kingdom
    SOB!!! I just discovered that site and was very useful dammit Nintendo u A**holes. It had games that I never knew existed.

Last edited by CORE, Jul 21, 2018
  19. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    File for bankruptcy, probably.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.