The Nintendo Switch has surpassed the sales total of the NES, bringing it to over 62 million units

package_redblue.jpg

The Nintendo Switch continues its red-hot sales streak by hitting a new milestone. Earlier this month, Nintendo's fiscal year report showed that the Switch had sold well despite stock shortages throughout the quarantine period, and due to the launch of Animal Crossing: New Horizons, bringing the sales total to 61 million. This put it on equal terms with the sales of the NES, which also managed to sell 61 million units during its lifetime. A mere few weeks after that fiscal report, though, and the Switch has overtaken the original Nintendo home console to secure itself as the 12th most popular gaming console of all time. These numbers come from the most recent issue of Famitsu in Japan, which are from July, meaning the Switch has shifted even more consoles since.

The next goal for the Nintendo Switch to hit would be 75.77 million units--the same sales total as the Nintendo 3DS family of systems.

:arrow: Source

xpoverzion

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Really good marketing I suppose is why the switch has been successful. Once you own it, you realize how it's probably one of the worst consoles Nintendo has ever sold in terms of games to play on it. The only games worth playing so far on this platform is Odyssey, Yoshi. I already played Breath of The Wild on the Wii U. All the other triple aaa titles play and look better on the PS4 or PC. For me, the Switch has been a big disappointment, mostly because of the lack of original, high quality game titles.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really good marketing I suppose is why the switch has been successful. Once you own it, you realize how it's probably one of the worst consoles Nintendo has ever sold in terms of games to play on it. The only games worth playing so far on this platform is Odyssey, Yoshi. I already played Breath of The Wild on the Wii U. All the other triple aaa titles play and look better on the PS4 or PC. For me, the Switch has been a big disappointment, mostly because of the lack of original, high quality game titles.

Thing is, you're speaking from the completely valid perspective of being a Wii U owner or CemU player. For the majority of Switch owners, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze may as well have been a game that debuted on the Switch as opposed to the Wii U.

Who knows how much the coronavirus has altered Nintendo's plans not just for this year, but the years to come?

MrCokeacola

The Xbox Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Must be a slow news day. Not too impressive to sell more than a console from the 80s considering smaller market for video games at the time. Let me know when it hits Wii and PS2 sales levels.

Until then imo video gaming has had a downward sales trend since the PS2 era.

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
And still many games and ports are overpriced af, no themes for the Home Menu, no better offers or services from their paid online service, and many issues with their online servers, specially in Smash and Mario Maker 2.

Yes, ia a good console, but I think they aren't treating their consumers as it is being reflected in their sales.

Reactions: MrCokeacola

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally I think there's a point to be made that the Switch should be striving to reach combined handheld and home console sales and the closest one it is to beating is the combined Wii U and 3DS sales which is around 89 million consoles sold. I've heard this argument more often now and it does have some merit.

The Switch is essentially Nintendo's handheld and console forces combined.
yes exactly before Nintendo was selling two lines of consoles handeheld and home now they only have one so the sales need to be compared to their previous sales of both their handheld and home consoles per respective generation combined

Reactions: Zense

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To me no matter what anybody says, switch is a handheld system. Now if the switch was like the wiiu, I can agree with this because games on the wiiu sometimes actually didn’t mirror what’s on the tv screen, the wiiu actually has games that used the gamepad, I don’t know how many games actually used the gampad but there were games and that’s why I sometimes called the wiiu the console version of the ds.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, Remember to take your meds like AncientBoi.