The Nintendo Switch has surpassed the sales total of the NES, bringing it to over 62 million units

package_redblue.jpg

The Nintendo Switch continues its red-hot sales streak by hitting a new milestone. Earlier this month, Nintendo's fiscal year report showed that the Switch had sold well despite stock shortages throughout the quarantine period, and due to the launch of Animal Crossing: New Horizons, bringing the sales total to 61 million. This put it on equal terms with the sales of the NES, which also managed to sell 61 million units during its lifetime. A mere few weeks after that fiscal report, though, and the Switch has overtaken the original Nintendo home console to secure itself as the 12th most popular gaming console of all time. These numbers come from the most recent issue of Famitsu in Japan, which are from July, meaning the Switch has shifted even more consoles since.

The next goal for the Nintendo Switch to hit would be 75.77 million units--the same sales total as the Nintendo 3DS family of systems.

:arrow: Source
 

Xzi

Elden Lord
Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2013
Messages
14,205
Trophies
2
Location
The Lands Between
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
9,469
Country
United States
That sounds like a good thing - lots of ports, lots of remasters and lots of original games.
The whole idea that Switch has "too many ports" is ridiculous anyway, people here just need to accept the fact that WiiU was a failed system with virtually zero exposure to a mainstream audience. Even if everybody who owned a WiiU also bought a Switch, that would mean these games are considered ports by only 16% of Switch owners. For all intents and purposes, they're brand new, original Switch titles to the other 84% of owners. If we're being more realistic and assuming that some WiiU owners will not buy Switch, the split is probably closer to 10%/90%.
 

Goku1992A

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2019
Messages
1,745
Trophies
0
Age
31
XP
1,906
Country
United States
The whole idea that Switch has "too many ports" is ridiculous anyway, people here just need to accept the fact that WiiU was a failed system with virtually zero exposure to a mainstream audience. Even if everybody who owned a WiiU also bought a Switch, that would mean these games are considered ports by only 16% of Switch owners. For all intents and purposes, they're brand new, original Switch titles to the other 84% of owners. If we're being more realistic and assuming that some WiiU owners will not buy Switch, the split is probably closer to 10%/90%.

The only good thing about the switch is it keeps its value versus the PS4/XB1. One the flip side it is more expensive to own a Switch versus owning a PS4/XB1
 

Xzi

Elden Lord
Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2013
Messages
14,205
Trophies
2
Location
The Lands Between
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
9,469
Country
United States
The only good thing about the switch is it keeps its value versus the PS4/XB1. One the flip side it is more expensive to own a Switch versus owning a PS4/XB1
Neither of these things will necessarily remain true in the long run, Switch has only been on the market for 3 years, versus about 8 years for PS4/XB1. What is certain is that Nintendo has managed to churn out more first-party exclusives than either of their competitors in less than half the time, so of course insisting on buying all of them, and buying them new, is going to get expensive quick.
 

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2019
Messages
1,234
Trophies
1
Age
16
XP
2,035
Country
United States

The Nintendo Switch continues its red-hot sales streak by hitting a new milestone. Earlier this month, Nintendo's fiscal year report showed that the Switch had sold well despite stock shortages throughout the quarantine period, and due to the launch of Animal Crossing: New Horizons, bringing the sales total to 61 million. This put it on equal terms with the sales of the NES, which also managed to sell 61 million units during its lifetime. A mere few weeks after that fiscal report, though, and the Switch has overtaken the original Nintendo home console to secure itself as the 12th most popular gaming console of all time. These numbers come from the most recent issue of Famitsu in Japan, which are from July, meaning the Switch has shifted even more consoles since.

The next goal for the Nintendo Switch to hit would be 75.77 million units--the same sales total as the Nintendo 3DS family of systems.

:arrow: Source
cool
 

ZachyCatGames

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2018
Messages
3,368
Trophies
1
Location
Hell
XP
3,716
Country
United States
Considering Nintendo now has the "original Switch"(and the updated with longer lasting battery), and the Switch Lite, I actually hope for a Switch console. As in, no battery included, no display either, just HDMI out and 2 joycons (and some way to charge them). Could bring the price down quite a lot, and many people actually never use Switch in handheld mode. I only use it handheld to load Hekate and homebrew apps...
They have such a device, they've been working on it since launch.
(When) Will they release it? No idea
 

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2016
Messages
6,001
Trophies
1
XP
5,858
Country
United States
like many other companies using covid as an excuse, i bet nintendo are doing the same as what they did with the wii, intentionally keeping shortage.
Excuse? Please tell me you're not one of these COVID hoaxers who think "it ain't no big deal ya'll". Look at what this pandemic has done to factory farming, specifically Tyson, and you'll learn why there's a shortage. At least for PR reasons, most companies don't want to expose their employees to death. Unless of course they're American.
 
Last edited by Joom,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
10,639
Trophies
3
Location
WA State
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
12,145
Country
United States
An impressive feat, considering the Switch is still out of stock for the summer. They better double production for the fall if they like money.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I expect sales to go crazy after the new Zelda game comes out.
It's been over a year since it was announced, with nothing shown up until now... I'm not getting my hopes up. If the game drops by spring of 2022, I'll be impressed.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Deleted User

TheCasualties

Just trying to be helpful
Member
Joined
May 11, 2020
Messages
440
Trophies
0
Location
The Bardo Islands
XP
474
Country
Netherlands
Impressive indeed.

So do we know an estimated percentage of v1 RCM hackable switches?

I suppose it's less than the original number of v1's sold, since Nin likes to replace the old motherboards whenever one is "repaired".
 

pedro702

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Mar 3, 2014
Messages
11,591
Trophies
1
Age
31
XP
6,618
Country
Portugal
An impressive feat, considering the Switch is still out of stock for the summer. They better double production for the fall if they like money.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------


It's been over a year since it was announced, with nothing shown up until now... I'm not getting my hopes up. If the game drops by spring of 2022, I'll be impressed.
it will probably come out before metroid prime 4 xD
 

shinwg

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2016
Messages
400
Trophies
0
Age
40
XP
509
Country
United States
Since the switch is red hot I guess Nintendo won’t kill it yet. We will need to wait for switch 2 for a while
 

comput3rus3r

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2016
Messages
3,576
Trophies
1
Age
121
XP
4,786
Country
United States
As an American, the Switch has been in this weird sold-out state ever since launch. I'll walk into a Walmart, 2017, no Switch. Target, 2019, no Switch. Online 2020? You better believe no Switch. I only got my original Switch because I found one on Target.com, called and tried to reserve it, and drove 30 miles out to pick it up. And it was the last one they had on the shelf. Maybe it's a weird case due to the fact I live in a large city where scalping is common, but still.
My local walmart always had switches in stock. the only time it was out of stock was at the beginning of the plandemic.
 

eriol33

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2014
Messages
1,151
Trophies
0
Location
Amsterdam
XP
2,507
Country
Netherlands
I cannot believe the price of new switch is like twice of the recommended retail price. At this rate I will just buy it during the end of its life cycle.
 
General chit-chat
Help Users
    KenniesNewName @ KenniesNewName: If you're selling drugs dm me