• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

The National Walkout - Your Thoughts?

dpad_5678

Ape weak on own. Ape strong in unity.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I live 5 miles away from the MSD shooting. The kids are walking out for a reason and the walkouts won't stop until the NRA decides to back off. I'm 16 years old and homeschooled and I plan on joining the protests.

Sorry, conservatives. We won this one.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I see it as acceptable and fine. The teachers and staff (most of them) know it's because that gun laws are in definite need of being updated. (before any of you guys get your panties in a bunch. I DO NOT SUPPORT BANNING FIREARMS. It solves the problem in a unfair way. Fair way is giving it a tweak that kind of makes it so there is some sort of sanity check. OR EVEN BETTER, GET PEOPLE THE MENTAL HELP THEY NEED. Putting them in prison for the mentally insane, does absolutely nothing. Unless, they are a sane person.) And I see the school walk out as a ok protest, because I don't think most schools can just use their money and protest at Washington as a group with every single student

If teachers, or faculty want to walk out? That's their deal. They're old enough and (hopefully) educated enough to form a fair and just opinion. However, FORCING a certain a viewpoint on impressionable minds is what the educational system was made to PREVENT. It's ironic and rather hypocritical to tell students to walk out over an issue they actually can't fully comprehend. Yes, even high school students. It's raising about as much awareness as the college students who literally cried because Trump became president. It's doing nothing productive, and makes America look worse. Which oddly enough is really easy these days... again, waste of time and tax payers' money.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeah, it's only the exact weapon used in the Parkland shooting and all. Totally nothing implied there.
Hint: it might have something to do with it being the firearm that progressives want to ban the most, even though it's not significantly functionally different from most semi-automatic rifles.

Xiphi gets it. Open your damn mind Xzi. I'm not saying to drop your beliefs, but to act like they're threatening anybody is shallow.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Protests, but actual action on Congress' part, stricter gun control, mental health background checks, make it harder to get guns while banning AR-15s to be used for personal use. WTF needs an AR-15 when a normal handgun will be sufficient
for self defense?

Protests solve nothing if no action is taken.
Correct, but these early protests are a proof of concept to show that students and teachers are willing to participate. If no meaningful federal legislation is passed by April 20th, students walk out and don't come back to school until Congress does something

Personally, I think it's brilliant, and absolutely has potential to work. At least SOMETHING is being done, and the fact that the age group of kids typically affected by lax gun laws is getting a chance to participate in the legislative process is a HUGE plus

Reactions: HamBone41801

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The walkout was done to politicize a horrible incident.

"politics - the activities associated with the governance of a country or other area, especially the debate or conflict among individuals or parties having or hoping to achieve power"

So, a horrible incident happens and people are engaging in activities to try to persuade those who govern the country to change the laws to try to prevent further incidents of such horrible incidents? Yes, I guess "politicize" is a dirty word now. How dare the people want the government to actually work. Of course, the Republicans are right: government does nothing good. They're making sure of it. At least with the Democrats they try to do something right as they try to gain some advantage for themselves.

Back to the actual question, like the_randomizer, I agree that the real issue is that it's very unlikely these Walkouts will do anything. I'd tend to argue that an ultimatum needs to be stated: we give you x many days to make these changes, or we're not returning to school but having sit-ins at every legislative body in the country until these changes are made. The only way protests do tend to work is if they inconvenience the people with power and push them to make the difficult choice of arresting everyone repeatedly. The counter to this is that such a circumstance would undoubtedly break the protest into at least two factions, of which those willing to comply would be small, and the actual abuse of students would almost certainly occur with little real consequence even with all the cell phones recording every incident.

That's the pessimist in me talking, I guess. Or maybe the realist of all the protests in the 60s and 70s and how very little of it actually reached their goals.

You want to have real change? Start a political party now. As another person suggested, every year millions graduate from high school. Within ten years, you'd trivially overturn the current political system entirely based on the horrible low turnout of adults. The best part is, you can almost certainly shame most adults precisely because they haven't voted. They've passively accepted the current situation as an acceptable status quo. Even if in shaming them you motivated them to vote, it'd be a win. We might actually get the democracy we deserve, even if the pessimist in me says it might be worse than the one we already have.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Xiphi gets it. Open your damn mind Xzi. I'm not saying to drop your beliefs, but to act like they're threatening anybody is shallow.
Seriously? Watch any of the NRA's Youtube videos and tell me they don't threaten anybody. That's literally all they fucking do when they feel their "way of life" is threatened. AKA anything that might lower gun sales a bit.

The NRA are dickweeds, and they don't even represent the majority of gun owners who do agree on common sense legislation to address gun issues. Something along the lines of 1 in every 20 gun owners is an NRA member.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh man, I can't wait for a student to come out with an AR-15 and mow us down with bullets!
They'd be an idiot to do that, since national attention is on these protests specifically asking for tighter gun restrictions. Someone shooting protestors protesting shootings are only helping THEIR cause, as morbid as that might sound

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
They'd be an idiot to do that, since national attention is on these protests specifically asking for tighter gun restrictions. Someone shooting protestors protesting shootings are only helping THEIR cause, as morbid as that might sound
It's true, though. Of course there have been various threats throughout the day. Some even where I live. It's pathetic.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reading some of the opinions on this thread... oh fucking lord, that's why your country is wrong and your congress and politics does what they do: NOTHING.

People are in their right to march and getting heard, it's one of the best resource people have to reach the government or the politics to take action on something. WE have had those, our students have done them and continue doing them because here are unfair treatment from our politics in our education, and not even that, on a few other of stuff too, such as jobs and medical treatments. People march, raise their voices and stuff gets done. THAT'S part of the democracy, the people, the citizens are in their right to demand what is better for them, to protest about what is wrong, all of this is done not just for our generation, but for the next ones so they never have to see, feel or be part of what is wrong today.

Come on people, at least they are trying to get heard, they ARE doing something, unlike some of you that are ok with doing absolutely nothing.

shaking my fucking head

Last edited by DeslotlCL,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Reading some of the opinions on this thread... oh fucking lord, that's your country and your congress is and does what they do: NOTHING.

People are in their right to march and getting heard, it's one of the best resource people have to reach the government or the politics to take action on something. WE have had those, our students have done them and continue doing them because here are unfair treatment from our politics in our education, and not even that, on a few other of stuff too, such as jobs and medical treatments. People march, raise their voices and stuff gets done. THAT'S part of the democracy, the people, the citizens are in their right to demand what is better for them, to protest about what is wrong, all of this is done not just for our generation, but for the next ones so they never have to see, feel or be part of what is wrong today.

Come on people, at least they are trying to get heard, they ARE doing something, unlike some of you that are ok with doing absolutely nothing.

shaking my fucking head

When my "government" is torn down and rebuilt, maybe I'll have some sympathy for this country. The division is way too great. I can't pick a side as they're all quite retarded.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The second that the NRA/Cuntservatives aren't able to stop us from voicing out, is the second they lose.

The NRA isn't trying to silence anybody. Kill that noise already.

"Cuntservatives"... classy.... You're 16. Do your damn homework.

D

Deleted User

Then what would you propose to do oh great wise one? What ARE YOU GOING TO DO.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When my "government" is torn down and rebuilt, maybe I'll have some sympathy for this country. The division is way too great. I can't pick a side as they're all quite retarded.
But saying that people will accomplish nothing? That they are wasting time and money? Come on, with that attitude, that's exactly why usa is targeted as a crazy and violent country, or one of them, pretty much because people like to opine or criticize but do nothing at all to try fix their own fucking country image.

NOTHING.

Last edited by DeslotlCL,

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
guns don't kill people, people kill people! we need to protect the students but we also need to stand up for the people who use their guns responsibly and would never hurt a person.
Enough of this fluff I don't give a damn on which side you are on this is debating that this happened and instead of waltzing out of buildings we need to trust that the elected officials that we the American people put in office. In other words, we need to stop beating around the bush and fix what needs to be fixed. I regret making this thread altogether because I should have known people would bring the left and the right into this. I am sick of all the politics invading every aspect of my life! I want to be a teenager without worrying about all the shit news.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
guns don't kill people, people kill people! we need to protect the students but we also need to stand up for the people who use their guns responsibly and would never hurt a person.
Enough of this fluff I don't give a damn on which side you are on this is debating that this happened and instead of waltzing out of buildings we need to trust that the elected officials that we the American people put in office. In other words, we need to stop beating around the bush and fix what needs to be fixed. I regret making this thread altogether because I should have known people would bring the left and the right into this. I am sick of all the politics invading every aspect of my life! I want to be a teenager without worrying about all the shit news.

You created a political thread. Of politics are going to be brought into it... What else were you expecting?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Y @ YuseiFD: :creep: