• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

The National Walkout - Your Thoughts?

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no denying the events that have happened are horrible. It is extremely sad and i express my deepest condolences to the victims and their families. I, being a High School student, find myself surrounded by my peers, teachers and the media. With less than 5 minutes until the "national" walkout for the eastern seaboard. I find myself sitting in study hall hanging on a weak WiFi connection typing to see what you guys think of this walkout. I am really interested in knowing.

As for what i think... I dont think walking out is going to do anything to change anything. half of these people that are walking out arent doing it because they know the true meaning of it. they are doing it because everyone else is doing it. I think we need to feel bad for what happened and fix what needs to be fixed.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Waste of money and time.

...also... We don't need to feel bad.. We need to grow the fuck up and realize there's an issue that needs fixed. Shame that will never happen due to the lovely agendas being pushed.

Last edited by Kioku,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by Xzi,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I think it's great that some people are walking out to make themselves heard, it's not like it's gonna cause any harm. School shootings have gotten to a point where we have to solve them ASAP.

That said, no one should feel pressured to walk out.
I'm sure they don't, they can stay inside and watch some "safety" video, aka put in earphones or play 3DS under your desk (I had GBA SP).

Reactions: Ace001
D

Deleted User

Yes. Let's gather all of the students together to feel bad about a school shooting / mass shootings. Brilliant idea, literally every student on campus in one location remembering an event with a gun. What a genius idea! /s

(if you didn't get it (which some of you won't) by grouping everybody together, you create a bigger risk of deaths).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm sure they don't, they can stay inside and watch some "safety" video, aka put in earphones or play 3DS under your desk (I had GBA SP).
The highschool near me said if you weren't walking out you were doing a shit load of packets.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Yes. Let's gather all of the students together to feel bad about a school shooting / mass shootings. Brilliant idea, literally every student on campus in one location remembering an event with a gun. What a genius idea! /s

(if you didn't get it (which some of you won't) by grouping everybody together, you create a bigger risk of deaths).

The highschool near me said if you weren't walking out you were doing a shit load of packets.
The remembering is not in a positive light for the shooter, you're meant to be remembering because now is the time to get something done if you don't want to see it in more schools. Of course, it's a bad idea to expect teenagers to infer this on their own.

As for required walkouts, to be fair, most were only required to walk out for 17 minutes, which is symbolic of something about the shooting that even I've already forgot. If a school required you to go home, it's just because that school wanted to save money rofl.

D

Deleted User

The remembering is not in a positive light for the shooter, you're meant to be remembering because now is the time to get something done if you don't want to see it in more schools. Of course, it's a bad idea to expect teenagers to infer this on their own.

As for required walkouts, to be fair, most were only required to walk out for 17 minutes, which is symbolic of something about the shooting that even I've already forgot. If a school required you to go home, it's just because that school wanted to save money rofl.
But if somebody wanted to make a point? You always have counter protests for everything. Btw 17 was for the victims of parkland.

If students are old enough to make up their mind about laws such as gun control, they are old enough to reject the protest. The school had them walkout for 17 mins but if they didn't then they had a lot of work for not standing out.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
But if somebody wanted to make a point? You always have counter protests for everything. Btw 17 was for the victims of parkland.

If students are old enough to make up their mind about laws such as gun control, they are old enough to reject the protest. The school had them walkout for 17 mins but if they didn't then they had a lot of work for not standing out.
Thanks for jogging my memory.

That's going to be a decision on the individual schools. What I heard on a wider scale was the safety video, probably what to do in a shooting scenario.

Last edited by Xzi,
D

Deleted User

Personally, I see it as acceptable and fine. The teachers and staff (most of them) know it's because that gun laws are in definite need of being updated. (before any of you guys get your panties in a bunch. I DO NOT SUPPORT BANNING FIREARMS. It solves the problem in a unfair way. Fair way is giving it a tweak that kind of makes it so there is some sort of sanity check. OR EVEN BETTER, GET PEOPLE THE MENTAL HELP THEY NEED. Putting them in prison for the mentally insane, does absolutely nothing. Unless, they are a sane person.) And I see the school walk out as a ok protest, because I don't think most schools can just use their money and protest at Washington as a group with every single student

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I was a student in grade school or high school, I would walk out for the sake of no school for the day. I'm pretty sure 95% of the students who walked out felt the same way. Anything to get out of doing school work! :D

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@the_randomizer - What do you think should be done?

Protests, but actual action on Congress' part, stricter gun control, mental health background checks, make it harder to get guns while banning AR-15s to be used for personal use. WTF needs an AR-15 when a normal handgun will be sufficient
for self defense?

Protests solve nothing if no action is taken.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Protests, but actual action on Congress' part, stricter gun control, mental health background checks, make it harder to get guns while banning AR-15s to be used for personal use. WTF needs an AR-15 when a normal handgun will be sufficient
for self defense?

Protests solve nothing if no action is taken.
I'm probably going to buy an AR-15 in the next few years, because I can. Plus, it looks sexy, and if someone breaks into my house, if I fire that off a few times down the stairs, they'll run. :D

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.ebay.com/itm/386617469929?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=2T8UwYf_Qse&...