• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

The National Walkout - Your Thoughts?

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but all of this doe snot matter because prohibition does not work period
even there were no 3D printers or CNC machines they would still be easy to get
just like drugs ,

(1) How many people today actually make their own guns? How many people make their own drugs? I'm pretty sure that ratio has a lot to do with the relative difficulty of making a gun vs buying it and the difficulty of growing several different drugs vs buying it. Yet people still buy drugs. Alcohol is one of the easiest things to make, and people still bought it; that probably has a lot to do with their consumption level and generally the social aspect of it. Maybe if there were more gun clubs and we were talking about bullets...

(2) Which leads to, we could just heavily tax bullets. I'm sure people would be just as upset with that, but we do heavily tax alcohol. I guess it's okay to consider it a vice to make yourself sick with alcohol but not to fire bullets that may injure yourself or someone else.

(3) There's an argument that all the effort to make a gun with a CNC machine would be enough to motivate people to not go around killing people precisely because part of the basis for mass shootings is not merely a hot blooded desire to kill--which is generally the argument for removing easy access to guns reducing murder by guns--but a more long-term feeling of worthlessness. If you can make a gun. or really all sorts of things. with a CNC machines, suddenly you realize you have value in life, and you're probably less inclined to throw it all away on some path of self-destruction. One could even argue, funny enough, that drug addicts could be trained on CNC machines which will give them the skills to make guns.

In any case, the thing about CNC machines and 3D printers isn't if they can fire a bullet or two. It's whether they can fire dozens before the gun jams or worse. Realistically, it's a non-trivial thing to build a sub-machine gun or machine gun, even if building a simple gun is within the realm of doable.

PS - If you would like to guess why drug addicts who grow drugs don't in their act of gardening (or chemistry) potentially overcome their addiction by a realization of their own self-worth, I'd note that growing/making certain drugs is so trivially easy that it's really hard to convince someone they've done anything special. Also, drug addicts are taking drugs. They almost all have a profound psychological effect on the person taking them. I guess one could say the same thing about people buying a gun, but that person is on the opposite end--they derive their self-worth because they bought a gun. I'd say that's more pathetic than being a drug addict.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah yes. Please keep telling victims of a preventable occurance that they don't matter, because they only make up 1.5% of the total death toll, and more people die of heart disease

Reactions: Old

Old

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah yes. Please keep telling victims of a preventable occurance that they don't matter, because they only make up 1.5% of the total death toll, and more people die of heart disease

"The Elites", lol. Antisemitic dog whistle. SOMEone's been being spoon-fed Shammity & Jones toxic diarrhea, tsk tsk tsk....

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But...that already is a thing. Several graduated licenses depending on the type of firearm you want to use and/or own.
There are concealed carry licenses, yes, but open carry is something else entirely, as well as home use being completely unrestricted as far as I'm aware. Plus you're not required to take a big long education seminar, you just have to file for one and show basic competency in handling a firearm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are concealed carry licenses, yes, but open carry is something else entirely, as well as home use being completely unrestricted as far as I'm aware. Plus you're not required to take a big long education seminar, you just have to file for one and show basic competency in handling a firearm
It depends on the weapon amd it's intended use. Hunting rifles and shotguns are generally unregulated. Handguns require a permit afaik, even if not concealed or ooen carry. You can even legally obtain full-auto weapons under special conditions: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...-extremely-difficult-and-especially-expensive

I was just informing the other guy that such a system does exist.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm also going to leave this here for anyone interested:

Reactions: Xiphiidae

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Please tell me where I said that "they don't matter".

"The Elites", lol. Antisemitic dog whistle. SOMEone's been being spoon-fed Shammity & Jones toxic diarrhea, tsk tsk tsk....
Nice job avoiding everything I said and electing to just attack me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MH9FyLsfDzw&list=RDPKZFk5t3czs&index=7&pp=8AUB