• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

The Illogicality of Jehovah's Witnesses

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd just like to post this thread as my parents and sisters (no, I don't have a brother) are JWs and what they do and what they stand for doesn't make much sense.

Here's a documentary of JW:

Now, what do I mean by "illogical," you may ask?

- "All men are evil" but the ones in charge of JW are men

- "Jehovah will kill all nonbelievers" the "God" they made up isn't very loving (but think he is)

- "Jehovah" they use His name in almost every sentence and think of Him as a "friend" or an imaginary friend

- "Homosexuality is bad" but they still pretend they welcome everyone

- They tend to use insulting terms for non-JW followers which shows they don't respect others if they're not part of JW

- They don't celebrate Christmas despite being a Christian religion

- They don't celebrate Birthdays, but they celebrate New Year (until they ban this too)

- They've said Armageddon was coming in 1914 and 1918, yet here we are

- They see their sect/cult/religion as the "true" one and all others are fake

- If the Armageddon is coming then why do they have billions of dollars?

- If a JW person is in a relationship with a non-JW, then they're "doomed" to this world

This could go on and on. My point is, I believe there's a God / Superior Being who created the world, but it ain't how the JWs describe it as. Furthermore, no one alive truly knows and the closest "evidence" are Bibles which I wouldn't trust to be the truth.

ital

Trophies
XP
:lol: at people finally seeing the old mind viruses for what they are whilst simultaneously championing those in the grip of the latest updated version. Ambivalent, much?

Ain't ish changed, cept the number after the dot on the Range.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
They've said Armageddon was coming in 1914 and 1918, yet here we are
Well, 1914 was kinda the beginning of the second-worst war we've had, so...sorta? 1918 though...yeah, shit was wrapping up then.
It still makes me wonder how JW women think "all men are bad" and yet they trust the ones running JW. Doesn't add up.
It makes me wonder why it's more acceptable to say "all men are bad" than "all women are bad", no matter who says it. Saying the latter is almost guaranteed to get you labelled as a 'misogynist', 'having the wrong opinion', and 'sexist'; saying the former doesn't get nearly as negative a response, if not even tacit approval.
Weird double standard.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As I know fuck all about this so called religion I decided to look at their rules and this one simply baffles me. They are not allowed to take yoga classes or practice the discipline of yoga. But they are allowed to do pretty much any other fitness exercises. Wtf is wrong with yoga? lol

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The same can be said with most "modern" religions that were created within the last 100-200 years that they tend to lean on the cult-like or just batshit insane.

Other notable examples would include Mormonism and one that if I said out loud I would probably be sued. Praise Xenu :ninja:

lamb-duh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It makes me wonder why it's more acceptable to say "all men are bad" than "all women are bad", no matter who says it. Saying the latter is almost guaranteed to get you labelled as a 'misogynist', 'having the wrong opinion', and 'sexist'; saying the former doesn't get nearly as negative a response, if not even tacit approval.
Weird double standard.
In the context of this thread, "all men" means all human. That's why it's not sexist. People get called sexist all the time for saying that men (as in male humans) suck.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The same can be said with most "modern" religions that were created within the last 100-200 years that they tend to lean on the cult-like or just batshit insane.

Other notable examples would include Mormonism and one that if I said out loud I would probably be sued. Praise Xenu :ninja:
I'm not afraid to say it. Scientology is a scam.
I'd just like to post this thread as my parents and sisters (no, I don't have a brother) are JWs and what they do and what they stand for doesn't make much sense.

Here's a documentary of JW:

Now, what do I mean by "illogical," you may ask?

- "All men are evil" but the ones in charge of JW are men

- "Jehovah will kill all nonbelievers" the "God" they made up isn't very loving (but think he is)

- "Jehovah" they use His name in almost every sentence and think of Him as a "friend" or an imaginary friend

- "Homosexuality is bad" but they still pretend they welcome everyone

- They tend to use insulting terms for non-JW followers which shows they don't respect others if they're not part of JW

- They don't celebrate Christmas despite being a Christian religion

- They don't celebrate Birthdays, but they celebrate New Year (until they ban this too)

- They've said Armageddon was coming in 1914 and 1918, yet here we are

- They see their sect/cult/religion as the "true" one and all others are fake

- If the Armageddon is coming then why do they have billions of dollars?

- If a JW person is in a relationship with a non-JW, then they're "doomed" to this world

This could go on and on. My point is, I believe there's a God / Superior Being who created the world, but it ain't how the JWs describe it as. Furthermore, no one alive truly knows and the closest "evidence" are Bibles which I wouldn't trust to be the truth.

A lot of these points apply to Christianity in general. All religions have their fair share of nonsense, and people interpret religious texts however it pleases them to suit their own beliefs.

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I once tried to date a girl that was a Jehovah Witness.

First thing she said was: Did you know I'm Jehovah Witness? And she brought someone else onto our date.
Never saw her again after that.
:rofl2:

Edit: Not gonna lie, she was cute. Wonder how's she nowadays?
She went on a date with a "worldy" / "unpure" person? That's surprising, but you say she brought someone along. lol

Reactions: Aerocool

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
A cult proselytizes, educates ("guides" your way of thinking), and recruits. A family does not. Join my family or you are an asshole. It's science. I'll show you the way.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be fair, those who celebrate Christmas as the birthday of Jesus, are ignorant anyway. IF the dude was real, he wasn't born in December.

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I once tried to date a girl that was a Jehovah Witness.

First thing she said was: Did you know I'm Jehovah Witness? And she brought someone else onto our date.
Never saw her again after that.
:rofl2:

Edit: Not gonna lie, she was cute. Wonder how's she nowadays?
If you think that is bad, Mormons have to deal with the concept of "Soaking" to get around their problems. I am not even going to go into detail about what it means.

To be fair, those who celebrate Christmas as the birthday of Jesus, are ignorant anyway. IF the dude was real, he wasn't born in December.
I enjoy the holiday for a multitude of reasons, but if we are going into historical accounts its more about shafting pagan holidays and rewriting the meanings of the holidays. Same thing with April Fools day as well, and maybe Easter if I am able to remember correctly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1