Hacking The Definitive vWii Hacking Guide!

scubamage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This may be a silly question, but we just picked up a Wii U a few days ago. The first thing I did was purchase Xenoblade Chronicles via the eShop. This is a Wii U Wii-VC game, so I assume that it runs via the vWii.

Will modifying the vWii with Xenoblade Chronicles already installed cause any problems with either the game, or the vWii modding?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
no, it doesn't affect the hacking procedure, nor will prevent it.
hacking the vWii will also not create any issues and you will be able to continue playing your game.

modding the vWii doesn't change the original system files (if you follow the guide correctly and don't try things by yourself), it only add the homebrew channel and custom system files used by USBloaders.
the official games will just load the official system files and won't care about the other installed files.

Reactions: Waveracer

CJB100

Programmer, Media Producer, Hardware Repair
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@CJB100 I've updated Convert2vWii. As long as you know how to drag and drop and the original channel worked, it should work fine. The title ID and IOS are changed if necessary to ensure compatibility.

Thank you! This will be added to the guide eventually. Finals week so I'm busy out of my mind atm.

Reactions: JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Thank you! This will be added to the guide eventually. Finals week so I'm busy out of my mind atm.
Lol I get that. I'd finished most of the update back in 2013. I stopped working on it because of a death in the family, and I only remembered it a few days ago.

Reactions: CJB100

CJB100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol I get that. I'd finished most of the update back in 2013. I stopped working on it because of a death in the family, and I only remembered it a few days ago.

Well we are glad to have you back. Even though I've not talked to you before, I've seen your name around fairly often. It's good to get any devs we can in here, especially with what now seems to be an impending IOSU hack release.

I really want to contribute to the Wii U programming side of things, I've gotten most of the basic Wii programming topics out of the way and read up on the Wii U programming environment, but I have not touched almost anything on the Wii U side yet. Hopefully that changes soon.

scubamage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no, it doesn't affect the hacking procedure, nor will prevent it.
hacking the vWii will also not create any issues and you will be able to continue playing your game.

modding the vWii doesn't change the original system files (if you follow the guide correctly and don't try things by yourself), it only add the homebrew channel and custom system files used by USBloaders.
the official games will just load the official system files and won't care about the other installed files.

Thanks Cyan! Answered my question perfectly. I'll give it a shot this evening when my new old SDCard arrives in the mail.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
sometime yes, sometime it doesn't. if it's detected and you see your game list, you can launch them and it will work fine.
Dumping a game disc to flashdrive will never work, and just freeze either at the start or before the end.

Maha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Hi
I want to buy one of the new wii U branded remotes (the ones that says Wii U on the box) but i read somewhere on the internet that they won't work with homebrewed wii !!
I'm wondering if its true?
Will these newer remotes and nunchuck work on Wii U's vWii with usb loader gx , nintendont and vc games ?

Last edited by Maha,

Celtic_spike

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
so i have followed the instructions up to the point of installing usbloader gx. i have launched the loader and changed the settings mentioned. my hd is detected and i have a ripped xenoblade chronicles showing. i click the game and i see the games launch screen with art and i launch. after the safety screen i just get a blank screen. please help. i installed everything as instructed as far as i can tell

7Robins

Bob is watching you.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi
I want to buy one of the new wii U branded remotes (the ones that says Wii U on the box) but i read somewhere on the internet that that they won't work with homebrewed wii !!
I'm wondering it its true?
Will these newer remotes and nunchuck work on Wii U's vWii with usb loader gx , nintendont and vc games ?
All WiiMotes internally are the same, the only difference is whether it has Motion+ built inside or not.
so i have followed the instructions up to the point of installing usbloader gx. i have launched the loader and changed the settings mentioned. my hd is detected and i have a ripped xenoblade chronicles showing. i click the game and i see the games launch screen with art and i launch. after the safety screen i just get a blank screen. please help. i installed everything as instructed as far as i can tell
It might be a bad dump, maybe try another copy or game?

Celtic_spike

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
All WiiMotes internally are the same, the only difference is whether it has Motion+ built inside or not.

It might be a bad dump, maybe try another copy or game?
ok i did a fresh dump of another game and that works. i am now stuck trying to get GC games to work. i have installed nintendont but when i open usbloader it wont show me the gc games. i have 2 on the hd. i go into custom paths and select the path and it shows me the folder names for the 2 games i have on the HD.
if i launch nintendont on its own i get an empty screen with home,A for Select, B for settings. if i press A or home its crashing

CJB100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok i did a fresh dump of another game and that works. i am now stuck trying to get GC games to work. i have installed nintendont but when i open usbloader it wont show me the gc games. i have 2 on the hd. i go into custom paths and select the path and it shows me the folder names for the 2 games i have on the HD.
if i launch nintendont on its own i get an empty screen with home,A for Select, B for settings. if i press A or home its crashing

You downloaded nintendont from one of the links in the guide, correct?
What's your folder structure look like on the HDD?

scubamage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone. This tutorial has been fantastic!

One more question though - do genplus, snes9x, fceu, and vba gx all support reading rom image files from the USB drive after it has been hidden with UStealth? Or do I need to put them on the sdcard?

Their wikis all say they have USB support, but they all refer to USB flash drives, not USB hard disks.

Last edited by scubamage,

7Robins

Bob is watching you.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

One more question though - do genplus, snes9x, fceu, and vba gx all support reading rom image files from the USB drive after it has been hidden with UStealth? Or do I need to put them on the sdcard?

Their wikis all say they have USB support, but they all refer to USB flash drives, not USB hard disks.
They all should work on the USB or the SD, whichever is more convenient. USB flash drives are questionable though, as we can't say whether they will work for you or not, since it varies.

CJB100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

To expand on Robins answer, the vanilla versions of the emulators linked in this guide do not support UStealth. There are versions that do, but idr where and they aren't kept up with iirc.

Reactions: 7Robins

scubamage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To expand on Robins answer, the vanilla versions of the emulators linked in this guide do not support UStealth. There are versions that do, but idr where and they aren't kept up with iirc.

Ok, no worries! Worst case I just put them on the sdcard. I'm sure that should be large enough to handle my collections :) Thanks!

Reactions: 7Robins

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.