Hardware The Amiibo Save Data Situation Sucks Ass!

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo, you're seriously telling me that in order to use my Amiibo storage for other games, I have to delete my Amiibo's save and lose that data for the sake of the next game?! What a load of bullshit! Did nobody at Nintendo think of including an option on the Wii U to allow users to backup their data to the console? Realistically, you should only want data on the Amiibo in the event of travel to a friend's or family member's house. Otherwise the first choice should always be to save that data to the console. Sorry Nintendo but I'm not buying multiple of the same characters just to be able to use them in different games. WTF?! This really needs to be fixed!

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Congratulations, you have just found out about the limitations of NFC / RFID tech. :)

This was to be expected, Nintendo can't magically make amiibo work any better than they do now. And saving to the console is probably prohibited to make sure no one exploits that.

Reactions: 2Hack and Mario92

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Considering it's just NFC tech, I assume someone could make an Android app that could backup and restore the complete data to an amiibo? As long as it puts the exact same data back on there, I don't see how the WiiU would tell the difference, unless there's some sort of special encryption going on.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
When Nintendo announced a new wave of Super Mario themed amiibo and said that the Mario, Luigi, Peach amiibo identify as exactly the same as the Smash Bros. equivalent amiibo, only differing in appearance, did any of you NOT see it coming that Nintendo is trying to sell you the same amiibo with a different design to use with different games?

(Genuinely asking, BTW.)

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
And this is why I don't buy into the collectible BS, waste of money.

I agree to some extent. I don't collect amiibo, but I currently own Villager (before he became "cool") and use him as my training buddy in Smash Bros. You'd be surprised how well it works. It's a limited system, but delivers on its promise. I have no intention of buying more amiibo for Smash Bros., though.

I'm also accepting of the fact that games use amiibo to unlock content (e.g. Mii racing suits in Mario Kart 8, or a special weapon in Hyrule Warriors). I don't mind if amiibo is used to add completely unnecessary elements to a game (e.g. Toad "hide and seek" in Captain Toad).

However, and this is where I draw a line, I find it unacceptable if not having certain amiibo locks me out from a portion of the game completely and Nintendo has demonstrated they're going down that route. Mario Party 10 will have a special mode ("amiibo Party") that's only available if you have amiibo (presumably from the Super Mario wave of amiibo). The trailer shown during the Nintendo Direct clearly detailed a lot of content (various boards, items, etc.) locked to this mode. I really don't like that at all. It's one reason why I'm not getting Mario Party 10 (with the other being lack of online play).

It's disgusting that Nintendo is using amiibo this way. I'd understand if we're talking about small content like what amiibo has been used for previously, but to lock a player out of a lot of content and requiring amiibo to access it, is in my opinion not good. I was open to the idea of buying more amiibo if more games supported them in meaningful ways as in Smash Bros., but this decision from Nintendo has ultimately made me decide that Villager will stay as my only amiibo for now.

And let me take a minute to count the times I said "amiibo" just now. Wow.

Reactions: 2Hack and Nightwish

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree to some extent. I don't collect amiibo, but I currently own Villager (before he became "cool") and use him as my training buddy in Smash Bros. You'd be surprised how well it works. It's a limited system, but delivers on its promise. I have no intention of buying more amiibo for Smash Bros., though.

I'm also accepting of the fact that games use amiibo to unlock content (e.g. Mii racing suits in Mario Kart 8, or a special weapon in Hyrule Warriors). I don't mind if amiibo is used to add completely unnecessary elements to a game (e.g. Toad "hide and seek" in Captain Toad).

However, and this is where I draw a line, I find it unacceptable if not having certain amiibo locks me out from a portion of the game completely and Nintendo has demonstrated they're going down that route. Mario Party 10 will have a special mode ("amiibo Party") that's only available if you have amiibo (presumably from the Super Mario wave of amiibo). The trailer shown during the Nintendo Direct clearly detailed a lot of content (various boards, items, etc.) locked to this mode. I really don't like that at all. It's one reason why I'm not getting Mario Party 10 (with the other being lack of online play).

It's disgusting that Nintendo is using amiibo this way. I'd understand if we're talking about small content like what amiibo has been used for previously, but to lock a player out of a lot of content and requiring amiibo to access it, is in my opinion not good. I was open to the idea of buying more amiibo if more games supported them in meaningful ways as in Smash Bros., but this decision from Nintendo has ultimately made me decide that Villager will stay as my only amiibo for now.

And let me take a minute to count the times I said "amiibo" just now. Wow.

Thus further reinforcing my refusal to support said products by not buying them, besides, I'd rather spend money on important things such as rent. Very stupid that a portion of a game is limited in such a fashion. I'm not getting Mario Part 10 either, the older ones were better anyways.

Reactions: Nightwish

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
besides, I'd rather spend money on important things such as rent.
Well, might as well not own a console at all, right? :)
Very stupid that a portion of a game is limited in such a fashion. I'm not getting Mario Part 10 either, the older ones were better anyways.
I completely agree with this. I personally think Mario Party was at its peak when it started out on the N64. The idea was fresh and the boards were original. I haven't played a good Mario Party ever since. Especially after Nd Cube took over development. Hudson Soft for life!

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, might as well not own a console at all, right? :)
I completely agree with this. I personally think Mario Party was at its peak when it started out on the N64. The idea was fresh and the boards were original. I haven't played a good Mario Party ever since. Especially after Nd Cube took over development. Hudson Soft for life!

I own a console to play games, not buy extra crap I'll never use lol. MP was fun up to Mario Part 4, after that, it went to crap.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
It's Nintendoes way of milking it, want to save on a Mario Amiibo again? Buy another one.

Nintendo could've made a Special Edition bundle including all of their Amiibos like 'Wave 1 & 2" for £150-200 or so.

kingsora831

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So glad i didnt end up buying into the amiibo hype.
Honestly, it sucks being locked out of certain content, but if the game hordes exclusive modes (like Mario Party 10) because i dont have an amiibo, im simply not buying it.

Not gonna pay an extra $13 x ? (however many amiibos i need) for some extra game modes.
Eventually all these excess amiibos, besides the "rare" ones like villager and wii fit trainer are gonna be on sale once the hype dies down.

Especially now that people know, nintendo is wanting you to delete your game data on your amiibo to use it for other games, or spend another $13 for the same amiibo (in a different poise).

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
So glad i didnt end up buying into the amiibo hype.
Honestly, it sucks being locked out of certain content, but if the game hordes exclusive modes (like Mario Party 10) because i dont have an amiibo, im simply not buying it.

Not gonna pay an extra $13 x ? (however many amiibos i need) for some extra game modes.
Eventually all these excess amiibos, besides the "rare" ones like villager and wii fit trainer are gonna be on sale once the hype dies down.

Especially now that people know, nintendo is wanting you to delete your game data on your amiibo to use it for other games, or spend another $13 for the same amiibo (in a different poise).

Which is why they're making another series set of Amiibo, at least those Mario Party Amiibo look better than the normal ones.

kingsora831

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which is why they're making another series set of Amiibo, at least those Mario Party Amiibo look better than the normal ones.

Yea, thats why i think amiibos, specifically the common characters are gonna drop in price.
I can imagine retailers having excess (mario, peach etc.) amiibos in stock because their is two variations of them.

Only, the die hard fans / scalpers are gonna be buying double variations of all the amiibos.
i wouldn't be surprised if there's a buy 2 get 1 free amiibo deal a little bit after mario party 10 comes out ( much like they do with skylanders & Disney Infinity).

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
There's a very easy way to fix this - store the entirety of Amiibo information on the Wii U/3DS while the Amiibo should only store the latest played game - problem solved. Better yet, use cloud storage and make the Amiibo only store a unique ID to access it. Of course both solutions would require at least one Nintendo engineer to "not suck" and we know how low chances of that are. ;O;

kingsora831

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a very easy way to fix this - store the entirety of Amiibo information on the Wii U/3DS while the Amiibo should only store the latest played game - problem solved. Better yet, use cloud storage and make the Amiibo only store a unique ID to access it. Of course both solutions would require at least one Nintendo engineer to "not suck" and we know how low chances of that are. ;O;

I doubt this will happen.
like you said, its entirely possible.

But doing so would kill the extra money nintendo can be profitting off the amiibos.
If people already bought a mario amiibo for smash, why would they buy another variation for mario party (unless they're diehards or scalpers).

This is to make people who already bought certain amiibos, buy them again "to save their save data."
Seeing how people ate up amiibos during this holiday season, im not surprised this is happening.
What makes this worse is the amiibos only came out 2-3 months ago, and new variations are already coming out.

Lol maybe this is why villager, wii fit trainer, marth were produced in such low numbers.
Nintendo was too busy producing the next variation of the same characters.

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
More than one Amiibo? Yes. More than one of each model? I doubt it, why would you have multiple identical figurines?

Well that's why they released alternative versions with identical chip so that people have other reasons to buy same thing twice.

Let's just hope they make most amiibo stuff minor unlocks which require reading only like it mostly is already.

Reactions: tbb043

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
It's kind of sad when you think Pokémon Rumble U was the first Wii U game to use NFC figurines, essentially becoming the precursor to the amiibo we have today, and Nintendo has yet to demonstrate any more meaningful way to interact with the tech ever since. I actually wonder why they haven't already made a Pokémon Rumble amiibo Edition and/or rerelease all the Pokémon Rumble NFC figurines because they'd probably make a lot more money than amiibo ever will. (When you compete with the big boys like Disney and Activision, you take out the big guns. Pokémon is pretty much the only Nintendo franchise with a huge fanbase and guaranteed quick +1 million sales on the mainline series.)

Reactions: LightyKD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?