thaddius' Console Roast 2014 Edition - Round 16 - FINAL

FINAL ROUND! What is GBATemp's least favourite gaming device?

• The Tiger R-Zone

Votes: 216 48.4%
  • The Phillips CD-i

Votes: 230 51.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sion_zaphod

Ex-Galactic President; confidence trickster; etc
Trophies
XP
Country
The tv spot shows equal amount of games and video and it closes with CD for tv. Not CD for gaming or console gaming.

matpower

Messenger from Zero
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The tv spot shows equal amount of games and video and it closes with CD for tv. Not CD for gaming or console gaming.
Being a 100% gaming device or not, it still plays games. If everything that does more than play games is a multimedia device, none of the newgen consoles can be called Gaming Devices.

sion_zaphod

Trophies
XP
Country
Being a 100% gaming device or not, it still plays games. If everything that does more than play games is a multimedia device, none of the newgen consoles can be called Gaming Devices.

Exactly because that's what they are. CDI just did it in 1991 that's a hell of a long time before Xbox and ps2.

sion_zaphod

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, so in that case, the CDi can be called a gaming device, like the newgen consoles. :P

No it is not like new gen multimedia systems because there is 23 years between the CDI and current multimedia systems but it was one of the first breakaway gaming systems.

Just out of interest how old are you?

matpower

Messenger from Zero
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
No it is not like new gen multimedia systems because there is 23 years between the CDI and current multimedia systems but it was one of the first breakaway gaming systems.

Just out of interest how old are you?
14 years old, I really love old consoles, my first console was a famiclone called Phantom System. :)
Well, by today's standard, the CDi can be called a Gaming Device.

Reactions: sion_zaphod

sion_zaphod

Trophies
XP
Country
14 years old, I really love old consoles, my first console was a famiclone called Phantom System. :)
Well, by today's standard, the CDi can be called a Gaming Device.

I'm 35 and I bought my CDI in 1992 when I was 14. I have a lot of experience of video games and computer systems plus I have a degree in Software Engineering and I own quite an extensive collection of systems. I owned my first computer at the age of 4 and have been a collector ever since.

It's good to see young games players going back to games outside their own genre, instead of only playing the latest FPS game.

quinterrya

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im gonna go with Tiger R-Zone and here's why. Panasonic CD-i introduced a CD based system, which was unheard of during those days. Sure, we couldn't afford it, but the commercials drew interest and helped pave the way for the Sega CD, Sega Saturn, Jaguar CD and Playstation 1. On the other hand, the Tiger-R-Zone took an old technology and tired to revamp it with poor virtual reality effects. The Nintendo Virtual Boy did a better job and was released a year later. With that say, Panasonic CD-i was bad, but Tiger R-Zone was terrible.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The CD-i is most definitely a video game console - at the absolute worse it's a multi-purpose device, one of the purposes is being a console. If something plays games, has controllers and isn't a PC, it's totally a console. Even the "remote" controller has a pseudo-joystick on it - the device is clearly gaming-oriented and it was advertised as such, or rather, as a "media player which plays games".

In fact, games is the first thing the advert mentions. I quote: "the ultimate in games, video, music and more". It's not directly referenced as a console because the image of a console back then was "a thing that plays games", the CD-i was offering "more than that", not to mention that CD's were all the rage, so instead the term "CD player of the next generation" is used. For all intents and purposes though, by today's standards of what a console is (entertainment hub with a focus towards games), the CD-i is a console, point. ;)

For similar reasons the NES is called the "Nintendo Entertainment System" while the Japanese Famicom actually means "Family Computer" - the term "computer" was avoided in America due to a recent industry crash and Nintendo of America wanted their system to be associated with toys, not computers. It's all a matter of marketing.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
5wJvM40.png

:wtf:

What's wrong with you people? :rolleyes:

EDIT: No, really, if any of you had ever laid their hands on an R-Zone, you wouldn't dream of voting for the CD-i.

Reactions: matpower and Foxi4

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Kind of an underwhelming finale, honestly. I was hoping to see a surprise, but I guess that's not the purpose of this series.
Really? Seeing how close those two finalists are is the most baffling surprise I've had in this entire series.

I mean, I voted for the R-zone wondering if the CD-i would even make it to 5% of the votes...and instead found it totally equal. With 99 votes for each, no less! :blink:

It's not like I want to defend the CD-i here. I voted for it (perhaps even twice) with good reasons. But that is compared to other consoles. Now it is pitted against the R-zone. The freakin' R-zone. That thing is beyond "it's so bad it's funny". It breaks through that field and manages to land somewhere in a nether realm of shitty terribleness beyond comparison. I wouldn't play it if someone payed me for it, and if someone gave me one I'd complain that it would needlessly fill up my trash can. For the CD-i, at least it plays videos.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Really? Seeing how close those two finalists are is the most baffling surprise I've had in this entire series.

I mean, I voted for the R-zone wondering if the CD-i would even make it to 5% of the votes...and instead found it totally equal. With 99 votes for each, no less! :blink:

It's not like I want to defend the CD-i here. I voted for it (perhaps even twice) with good reasons. But that is compared to other consoles. Now it is pitted against the R-zone. The freakin' R-zone. That thing is beyond "it's so bad it's funny". It breaks through that field and manages to land somewhere in a nether realm of shitty terribleness beyond comparison. I wouldn't play it if someone payed me for it, and if someone gave me one I'd complain that it would needlessly fill up my trash can. For the CD-i, at least it plays videos.

I was referring to the fact that these ARE the finalists, not how close they are. They both just seem like too obvious of choices to me.

That said, the closeness of the competition is refreshing. I really think that people should be required to watch AVGN's episode on Tiger games (which climaxes with the R-Zone) before voting, though.

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I said before, typically people will vote for whatever they have a broader knowledge of. The Phillips CDI is the cause for YouTube Poops, Disgruntled Zelda Fanatics and their tainted series, and for their most recent lawsuits against Nintendo. Granted I'm nt saying I voted for it, I'm nt blindly stupid about it. The problem is that people are generally gonna vote for the thing they have more knowledge of, and the CDI is pretty legendary as a bad console. The R-Zone on the other hand just doesn't have that kind of notoriety to it. You have to have actually played one to understand why it's so bad and why people would vote for it. So I can see why the votes are so close.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol, that was fun to watch. +1