thaddius' Console Roast 2014 Edition - Round 16 - FINAL

FINAL ROUND! What is GBATemp's least favourite gaming device?

• The Tiger R-Zone

Votes: 216 48.4%
  • The Phillips CD-i

Votes: 230 51.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn it guys, why are you voting the CD-I?
Sure, the CD-I is an awful console but at least Philips tried. This R-Zone thing is even worse, you can even call it a toy. All those CD-I voters should just play/watch a R-Zone game and rethink it.

That's exactly what the R-Zone was advertised as FYI, a kid's toy. The CDi was advertised as a game console, CD player, internet browser, and all sorts of other things that a computer could be.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
They are on the same level though... both suck massive diseased balls and both deserve to be stuffed into an ancient museum for future generations to laugh at.
CDi isn't nearly as bad as the R-Zone though. At the very least it had some good games - the only thing that's good about the R-Zone is that it's easy to shatter. :rofl2:

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CDi isn't nearly as bad as the R-Zone though. At the very least it had some good games - the only thing that's good about the R-Zone is that it's easy to shatter. :rofl2:

I posted why I think they're equally bad, but I feel like the CDi is worse. They're both god awful, but the CDi and the R-Zone are in different leagues.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I posted why I think they're equally bad, but I feel like the CDi is worse. They're both god awful, but the CDi and the R-Zone are in different leagues.
The CDi is a lot like a beautiful promise that was broken, the R-Zone is like rape in the eye socket - choosing which one is worse is a matter of personal preference, I suppose. ;O;

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The CDi is a lot like a beautiful promise that was broken, the R-Zone is like rape in the eye socket - choosing which one is worse is a matter of personal preference, I suppose. ;O;

The CDi is pretty close to eye rape, and dat box... so unsexy and VCR-Like.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, it's depressing that the CD-i won this one.

At the very least, Phillips did have some worthy contributions to the video game scene at large, even if their sole console entry wasn't. It is in large part from Philips' work that we have the Wavebird, for instance, and why Nintendo was finally able to move onto optical media at last.

Tiger on the other hand, only chased the bottom of the barrel, and did so in such a miserable manner, it ensured that anyone interested in gaming would be made to suffer at the low end of the spectrum. Tiger to handheld gaming is much like the intel GMA to PC gaming at large - so bad, you've lost the game before it even began.

I blame the Zelda fanboys, because we all know it's only because of them that the CD-i got such a turnout.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's the truth. AVGN did three videos on the horrible CD-i games for Zelda and Mario on the console, but only did one regarding Tiger's crap-tastic game devices, and only covered the R-Zone for about three minutes of said video.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
It's the truth. AVGN did three videos on the horrible CD-i games for Zelda and Mario on the console, but only did one regarding Tiger's crap-tastic game devices, and only covered the R-Zone for about three minutes of said video.
That doesn't show that Zelda fanboys are the reason, though. The CD-i is more infamous than the R-Zone is, largely due to AVGN, as you said. That doesn't mean all or most of the voters are Zelda fanboys. Suggesting such is both incredibly ludicrous, and just a little bit insulting.

Edit: Also worth mentioning that the CD-i videos AVGN did are years old, whereas the Tiger games video just came out within the past year.

EZ-Megaman

Likeanator
Trophies
XP
Country
At the very least, Phillips did have some worthy contributions to the video game scene at large, even if their sole console entry wasn't. It is in large part from Philips' work that we have the Wavebird, for instance, and why Nintendo was finally able to move onto optical media at last.

The Gamecube is Nintendo's first CD-based console, yes? How does Philips come into that?

Reactions: ComeTurismO

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Gamecube is Nintendo's first CD-based console, yes? How does Philips come into that?
Well, apologies if I'm wrong, but it was my understanding that even post-CD-i, Nintendo did have some partnership with Philips still, including sourcing for components to put into their consoles. It was my understanding that licensing to Phillips was a way for them to get the optical drive/media access without directly benefiting their competitor (in this case, Sony).

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to agree that the Phillips CD-i is the worst of the two consoles.

My reasoning behind that is you have to consider the price of the two machines and the LOL software lineup...

Software wise they both just are terrible machines, but only one had Nintendo games on it. A company known to produce awesome games.

Toss in the fact that the CD-i costed an arm and a leg when it launched. The Tiger machine was cheap so how could you expect much out of it?

So in summery yeah I can agree with the Phillips CD-i being the worst console of all time, when you account for all the factors.

Reactions: Sterling

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-