Joe88

[λ]
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so whats your strategy when you ply TF2?
what class do you prefer, what weapon do you use, most hated class?

I mainly play as solider (direct hit, reserve shooter) , demo (default), and heavy (family business), sniper (sydney sleeper), sometimes I will play as engineer and medic, I dont play as pyro, scout, or spy
spy is my most hated class, I kinda hate I have to be paranoid of everybody now instead of enjoying the game

I did notice some things about most classes
spy - tend to hide around corners and wait for people to work by to get a cheap kill off, there are alot of bad spies right now that just try to approach you making them obvious and easy targets, and they tend to switch in front of everybody also making them obvious

engineer - I kinda memorized all the obvious places engineers like to set up on most of the maps, demo is most effective against them imo, also alot of noobs being engineers that spent like 5 mins setting up their sentries teleportors, dispenser, all level 3 only to have it destroyed in seconds due to soldiers and demo's, and the people that set their sentries up all right next to each other, easy targets

medic - noob medics that dont know how to use ubercharge, or just run into the middle of a battle field thinking they can kill somebody, I have seen tons of lone medics walking around instead of assisting a heavy, or medics healing each other and running around

scout - most actually have skill, at least the ones ive encountered

pyro - another class that tends to camp and wait for people to walk by, mostly in hallways and stairways

sniper - just hangs back like he is supposed and gets kills, they are an easy target for spies though, they tend to get stuck in sniper vs sniper battles rather then actually helping with the objective (there are alot using aimbots right now
frown.gif
)

demo - I see alot of them camping in hallways with their sword and shield, they could just and easily set up a ton of sticky bombs and get a easy kill but they dont for some reason

heavy - alot of noobs use this class, its a little abused since its way overpowered, though for snipers they are easy targets

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I usually play as spy, my record is 43 points in a single life, but I play virtually every other class as well.

I'm surprised so few play as heavy. It's a really easy class to get points with, since you can just mow everyone down...

Engineer I have a good strategy for defensive play: if you are defending an item of value (such as a briefcase) it's best to move your sentry after every attack wave to another corner... it throws off the enemy. Many times have I seen people firing at walls because they think there are sentries there.

Playing as an offensive engineer is interesting: Use the gunslinger and wrangler, and set up near a choke point then stand to the side. A wrangled mini can kill a heavy with ease.

Medic, my favorite setup is quick-fix + crusaders crossbow. I've gotten a kill streak of 11. If you're good with the Huntsman, you'll be good with the crusaders crossbow. you can shoot it in the general direction of teammates and you will either heal for 100 or damage for 100... it's win-win. Quick-fix is ideal when you're defending and need to heal everyone at once.

Sniper, I use Huntsman. It's great against aimbotters who consistently snipe, then hide for cover. Shoot your arrow at where they WOULD be, and they'll be dead by the time they come out. Although I usually short-range snipe with it.

DxEggman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
after 1000 hours, im still experimenting with weapon combinations and stuff. i dont play much outside of with my friends though, so my skill in tf2 hasnt improved much. still, it's hella fun, so yeah...
also, dont stick to one weapon all the time. different situations are better for certain loadouts
payload+fists of steel=delicious. on attck or defense, you can lay some serious hurt, especially with a medic. also, the soldier cow mangler is good for crowd control i've learned recently.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I typically play scout. Force-A-nature, default pistol and sandman.

I keep my sandman out with FAN on standby with Q. if I run into a solder, heavy or demo, I sandman 'em. Otherwise I switch to FAN, unload a clip, and typically finish them with a pistol clip.

If I run into a heavy-medic combo, it's rather simple. sandman the heavy, run in and point blank FAN the medic, then run circles around the heavy and blow it away with FAN. I hardly ever die to a heavy.

The biggest part of being a scout is to CONSTANTLY move around at insane speeds to make yourself very difficult to hit.

Sniper is easy enough. I use the default sniper, SMG and that melee weapon that causes bleeding.
...aim for the head. Bam, sniper strategy mastered.
If i'm doing something like payload defending, it's better to use the huntsman since you can typically keep at a shorter range and be a hell of a lot more effective with it.
I never use that back protectin' thing since I almost never let a spy sneak up on me.

Spy is fun as hell to just constantly lurk and troll enemy engies. I don't bother with kills, I just destroy buildings unless someone leaves themselves wide open. I remember one round of 2fort I got over 100 destructions and lived for like half an hour. (which is how long the round lasted). They were so hilariously paranoid but could never catch me.

I play heavy when I feel like no-skilling. I use Natascha or Tomislav depending on the situation and sandvich. Sandvich essentially makes heavy immortal, lol.

Hardly use engie because it's so god damn boring sitting there hitting your sentry all day waiting for something to happen.

I use demoman or soldier when I need to destroy sentries in a hurry, or at the beginning of a CTF match when scouts rush. It's fun to watch them explode to direct shot hits. I also use Demoman a lot, default equips, to defend capture points.

Medic isn't my style.

I use pyro when the other team has way too many soldiers and demos.

DxEggman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tip: be mindful of your surroundings. Look around you all the time. Having a high mouse sensitivity helps a lot.
COMMUNICATE.
See a sniper? Tell your team.
See a sentry nest? Tell your team.
See a spy? Tell your team.
On that note; attack everyone. You can't harm your allies, and if it's a disguised enemy spy, you can detect them that way.
Hells Malice said:
Hardly use engie because it's so god damn boring sitting there hitting your sentry all day waiting for something to happen.

Pistol+Gunslinger. Try it. It's awesome for battle-engineering, if you want to not be turtle-engineering.

Joe88

[λ]
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hells Malice said:
If I run into a heavy-medic combo, it's rather simple. sandman the heavy, run in and point blank FAN the medic, then run circles around the heavy and blow it away with FAN. I hardly ever die to a heavy.
I think only one scout has killed me thus far while as a heavy and that was only because 2 soldiers and a pyro tried to kill me before him

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Linkiboy said:
Medic, my favorite setup is quick-fix + crusaders crossbow. I've gotten a kill streak of 11. If you're good with the Huntsman, you'll be good with the crusaders crossbow. you can shoot it in the general direction of teammates and you will either heal for 100 or damage for 100... it's win-win. Quick-fix is ideal when you're defending and need to heal everyone at once.
Crusaders crossbow is just....

It's really horrible if you're under attack. You're basically defenseless. There are too many cons to make it really useful, its best use is in medieval though
tongue.gif

Strategies:
Scout is situational, loadout depends really. Scattergun for general, FaN for some maps, Shortstop if you wanna hit far, Soda is generally nice...
Soldier- Rocket Launcher depends on person really, though blackbox isn't as useful as the rest(unless you dont have a medic). Equalizer is sure upgrade to the shovel.
Pyro- anyone can play this
Demo- requires practice, but can be really hard to defeat in some cases(that super OP demoknight set xD)
Heavy- need no more, though brass beast is bad unless you're in last stand
Engi- normal sentry(jag or SH works really,though i prefer jag) for defense and mini-sentry for offense
Medic- dang if you're offensive and you can do it, everyone will be like what happened :wtf:
Sniper- easy strategy, use piss launcher if you can't headshot, bazaar bargain if you can, default for practice, and huntsman for frontlining(pair with the darwin thing)
Spy- needs practice, but getting a hang of it is gold. All of the cloaks are good and are all situational. Use vanilla for general, CnD if you aren't that good(pair with YER if you're pretty good) and dead ringer with enforcer+big earner. Use ambassador if you're good at sniping.

Also- vanilla is best 90% of the time
smile.gif

LocoRoco

Trophies
XP
Country
Mostly demoman/knight...standard grenade launcher,splendid screen,half zatochi(when bored ullapool caber) learn to aim and always shoot step ahead....Demo is a defense player so he is supposed to camp somewhat

Soldier liberty launcher/blackbox,gunboats(jump jump watch for spies)

Sniper...Bazaar,razor back,Shahanshah(move around dont hide behind corners and always HeadShots) Practice shooting scouts.Havent played with someone who aimbots but i hate people who use crocastyle gear(cant be killed by a headshot) and bodyshooting.

Worse is when you get stuck in a shitty team half spy/half sniper and the other team is doing medic+heavy combo

Camping = heavy + medic cleans it up...

TheDreamLord

Trophies
Website
darkraino1.zymichost.com
XP
Country
Im usually playing ctf 2 fort so i set up sentrys at small L shaft facing stairs. I put it in a place where it covers all entrances and i always have my back to the wall and a dispenser to my right so im squashed = no backstabs :Dif sapped i can just destroy sapper. easy win
tongue.gif

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Joe88 said:
Hells Malice said:
I think only one scout has killed me thus far while as a heavy and that was only because 2 soldiers and a pyro tried to kill me before him

Most scouts suck at the game. TF2 is full of nubs, lol. Heavies are ridiculously easy to take down as a scout because of the gigantic speed difference.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lolzed said:
Linkiboy said:
Crusaders crossbow is just....

It's really horrible if you're under attack. You're basically defenseless. There are too many cons to make it really useful, its best use is in medieval though
tongue.gif

Strategies:
Spy- needs practice, but getting a hang of it is gold. All of the cloaks are good and are all situational. Use vanilla for general, CnD if you aren't that good(pair with YER if you're pretty good) and dead ringer with enforcer+big earner. Use ambassador if you're good at sniping.
Just don't freak out. Remember medics move faster than other classes, so if you're 1 on 1 directly under attack (which really shouldn't happen if you're a medic!), move backward (unless its a demoman, then charge while strafing and shooting, and pull out your melee when close enough)

Also, for spy, I use Dead Ringer + Your Eternal Reward. It seems like a pointless combination, since you can neither disguise nor cloak, but I broke all my records with it.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They never remove features.
That's CTF. It's pretty popular too since it usually just turns into a turtle vs turtle deathmatch.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In that case my strategy is be a spy and don't attract attention. In some cases, you can disguise and when you come by someone stare at them and they will leave. This doesn't work all the time though, I'd say about 65%.

Also, you can disguise as a medic and do the same thing, except it's easier as they expect you to heal them, you've really gotta get out of site when they realize that you're not.

Joe88

[λ]
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
In that case my strategy is be a spy and don't attract attention. In some cases, you can disguise and when you come by someone stare at them and they will leave. This doesn't work all the time though, I'd say about 65%.

Also, you can disguise as a medic and do the same thing, except it's easier as they expect you to heal them, you've really gotta get out of site when they realize that you're not.
that just makes them more obvious when I see medics running around not healing anybody
pretty much any medic will heal anybody they see even if they are walking by to build up ubercharge

spycheck11ao3.jpg

my backpack is starting to get full so I have buy something from the mann co store, sucks the min you can add is $5 though

got some great weapons yesterday, like the scottish resistance, natasha, backburner, gunslinger (hope I get the force-a-nature, sandman, and tomislav soon)
have a ton of useless crates, Ive received 4 Chargin' Targe's (guess I could make them into scrap metal), rift hat code, 3 Conniver's Kunai (I have 0 time as a spy yet I keep getting spy weapons), 2x huntsman

Joe88

[λ]
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just started playing as spy and its pretty fun trolling enemy engineers
I mainly camp around their spawn and keep messing up their teleporters so they run back away from their sentries then I back stab them, then go destroy the rest of their buildings, then repeat (gold rush is like the best map to do this)
wish I had the cloak and dagger though

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, she is non binary