1. Unity150_magickavoxel

Unity150_magickavoxel Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    eww tencent

2. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Italy
    Tencent has already made a deal with Nintendo to publish switch in China, exclusively.

3. MiiJack

MiiJack GBAtemp Regular

Madagascar
    Maybe every game company should be investing in mining bitcoins :toot:

4. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

United Kingdom
    Tencent are getting fucking huge - they're like the Chinese Disney (I've seen some of the movies they've invested in - 'Shadow' is really good).
    Anything that gives Platinum more autonomy is good in my book.

tyrantnyx and Subtle Demise like this.
  5. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Italy
    Guys, we shouldn't jump on immediate negative judgements so soon when we see a chinese company makes an invest: earlier decades STEAM has nearly entire monopoly on pc market, none of platform like ORIGIN, UcantPLAY, GOG or humblebundle has ever create any significant competition to STEAM, and only thanks to EPIC store, which offers more percent intakes to developers which directly forces STEAM to made some steps back, more money to devs=more better games to play.

Never forget free games offered by EPIC during xmas, similar practice never happened on STEAM and always thanks to higher negotiate power compared to other company like EA, EPIC managed to bring some $ony's most successful exclusives like Detroit, Heavy rain and Two souls on pc, if my memory hasn't betrayed me, STEAM never tried to brought any significant console exclusives to STEAM.

Platinum really needs helps to brings their games to larger audience, and they never get the deal with Tencent without mutual interest, who else is better than Tencent to help platinum? perhaps UBIsoft, EA or Bethesda? Nintendo did not much to help Platinum beside bring Bayonetta 2/3 to WIIU/Switch, but Ninty also killed off Wonderful 101, a unique hidden gem with a lot of potential.

think about good things EPIC did for PC community and don't hate without any reason on China or chinese company like brainless dick, Epic store's client might is not as good as STEAM's at this moment but give them time to improve it, and never forget that STEAM has never counted 3 cauz they never cared what we really want.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    tyrantnyx likes this.
  6. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Portugal
    If Tencent dropped some dough, it should have fairly little. As famous as Platinum Games is, they are a bit of a niche company. For instance, for me, they mean squat (I dislike button mashers like the games they produce), but having a couple of million to invest, I'd invest in them, because, mostly, they have good sales and turn a profit, making me profit as well.
    I wouldn't also limit the platforms the games would be released as well. More money to make.

Tencent people ain't dumb, and want to make a good image for themselves by supporting the "little man", making the fans appreciate the effort.

Everybody wins in the future, even if the games on PC get Epic Store exclusivity.

7. Bimmel

Bimmel ~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~

Gambia, The
    300 fps confirmed.

Is Platinum not happy with Nintendo? :-(

8. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Portugal
    If Platinum was to sell itself to Nintendo, that would mean that the games wouldn't release outside Nintendo products.

It would have been worse.

tyrantnyx likes this.
  9. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    I hesitate to even call Tencent a gaming company, as gaming is only a small part of what they do and even then it seems to be mostly on mobile, and mobile gaming is not gaming.
    Anyway, I hope they are being truthful that Platinum Games will remain independent, or you might start to see a lot more microtransactions in their games... :unsure:
    Not exactly a huge fan of Tencent.

10. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Interesting twist on the "independent in name only" gambit. Or is this some kind of backdoor into becoming a publisher under another name?

11. eriol33

eriol33 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Indonesia
    sounds good if it can liberate their old ips from the publishers.

tyrantnyx likes this.
  12. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi GBAtemp Official Lolimaster

Chile
    Nintendo are leeches, they suck third parties dry and then ditch them. remember rareware? they have sora as a smash machine, they literally haven't developed anything else since smash 4. and I'm sure I'm forgetting another company that has only suffered after some success with nintendo.

EDIT: and please don't forget that platinum already got burned by doing a star fox game.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    tyrantnyx likes this.
  13. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    so long Platinum Games

14. Dr.Hacknik

Dr.Hacknik Advanced Maniac | Dev | Trans

United States
    I swear, if they start censoring their games, I will blame Tencent Immediately.
    Tencent is a joke of a company that represents China; and they always wanna ruin franchises for everyone.
    Hopefully NieR will not be one of those, because there'd be so much censoring.

ChaosEternal likes this.
  15. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    take one last look because it will be the last time you see her like this ever again
    [​IMG]

Minox, Silent_Gunner and StarGazerTom like this.
  16. ploggy

ploggy WAKA! WAKA!

United Kingdom
    Bayonetta 3 cover art? :P

17. Volttekka

Volttekka Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Making a deal with the devil

18. HylianBran

HylianBran Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I am feeling many conflicting feels right now.

19. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Lost Wanderer Who Sees No Evil

United States
    So, how much is Sweeney paying you?

Minox, Godofcheese and Xzi like this.
  20. xdarkmario

xdarkmario Philosopher

United States
    i HOPE that all they want i dont want anything happening to my precious platinum games lol.
    i also wonder why nintendo doesn't just buy platinum games already. they are buddy-buddy enough.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - PlatinumGames, investing, developer