Tencent is investing in PlatinumGames so that the developer can afford to self-publish its own games

5b4976668df94f2e7dcf4deda6ab8818.jpg

PlatinumGames, developers behind games such as Bayonetta, Nier, Astral Chain, and other renowned action games, is fed up with dealing with publishers. Last May, the company's CEO discussed PlatinumGames's issues with not being able to control their own IP's, with titles like The Wonderful 101 being stuck on the Nintendo Wii U, or SEGA standing in the way of future entries in franchises like Bayonetta or Vanquish. Platinum planned to change things, and move towards self-publishing their games in the future, following the release of Bayonetta 3, which is currently being published by Nintendo. It looks like the famed developer now has everything they need to self-publish, after receiving a capital investment from Tencent Holdings, a Chinese firm, and the largest gaming company in the world. Previously, they've invested in or owned shares of companies like Epic Games, Activision Blizzard, Riot Games, and Ubisoft. Platinum's CEO, Kenichi Sato, claims that PlatinumGames will remain independent and will continue their current operations as they have in the past, using the partnership in order to break into the self-publishing world, allowing for their games to reach a wider global audience.

:arrow: Source

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Guys, we shouldn't jump on immediate negative judgements so soon when we see a chinese company makes an invest: earlier decades STEAM has nearly entire monopoly on pc market, none of platform like ORIGIN, UcantPLAY, GOG or humblebundle has ever create any significant competition to STEAM, and only thanks to EPIC store, which offers more percent intakes to developers which directly forces STEAM to made some steps back, more money to devs=more better games to play.

Never forget free games offered by EPIC during xmas, similar practice never happened on STEAM and always thanks to higher negotiate power compared to other company like EA, EPIC managed to bring some $ony's most successful exclusives like Detroit, Heavy rain and Two souls on pc, if my memory hasn't betrayed me, STEAM never tried to brought any significant console exclusives to STEAM.

Platinum really needs helps to brings their games to larger audience, and they never get the deal with Tencent without mutual interest, who else is better than Tencent to help platinum? perhaps UBIsoft, EA or Bethesda? Nintendo did not much to help Platinum beside bring Bayonetta 2/3 to WIIU/Switch, but Ninty also killed off Wonderful 101, a unique hidden gem with a lot of potential.

think about good things EPIC did for PC community and don't hate without any reason on China or chinese company like brainless dick, Epic store's client might is not as good as STEAM's at this moment but give them time to improve it, and never forget that STEAM has never counted 3 cauz they never cared what we really want.

Last edited by leon315,
Reactions: tyrantnyx

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If Tencent dropped some dough, it should have fairly little. As famous as Platinum Games is, they are a bit of a niche company. For instance, for me, they mean squat (I dislike button mashers like the games they produce), but having a couple of million to invest, I'd invest in them, because, mostly, they have good sales and turn a profit, making me profit as well.
I wouldn't also limit the platforms the games would be released as well. More money to make.

Tencent people ain't dumb, and want to make a good image for themselves by supporting the "little man", making the fans appreciate the effort.

Everybody wins in the future, even if the games on PC get Epic Store exclusivity.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If Platinum was to sell itself to Nintendo, that would mean that the games wouldn't release outside Nintendo products.

It would have been worse.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I hesitate to even call Tencent a gaming company, as gaming is only a small part of what they do and even then it seems to be mostly on mobile, and mobile gaming is not gaming.
Anyway, I hope they are being truthful that Platinum Games will remain independent, or you might start to see a lot more microtransactions in their games... :unsure:
Not exactly a huge fan of Tencent.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting twist on the "independent in name only" gambit. Or is this some kind of backdoor into becoming a publisher under another name?

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
I wonder why they didn't get a deal with Nintendo? Maybe they were asking for too much money?
Is Platinum not happy with Nintendo? :-(
Nintendo are leeches, they suck third parties dry and then ditch them. remember rareware? they have sora as a smash machine, they literally haven't developed anything else since smash 4. and I'm sure I'm forgetting another company that has only suffered after some success with nintendo.

EDIT: and please don't forget that platinum already got burned by doing a star fox game.

Last edited by Sakitoshi,

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys, we shouldn't jump on immediate negative judgements so soon when we see a chinese company makes an invest: earlier decades STEAM has nearly entire monopoly on pc market, none of platform like ORIGIN, UcantPLAY, GOG or humblebundle has ever create any significant competition to STEAM, and only thanks to EPIC store, which offers more percent intakes to developers which directly forces STEAM to made some steps back, more money to devs=more better games to play.

Never forget free games offered by EPIC during xmas, similar practice never happened on STEAM and always thanks to higher negotiate power compared to other company like EA, EPIC managed to bring some $ony's most successful exclusives like Detroit, Heavy rain and Two souls on pc, if my memory hasn't betrayed me, STEAM never tried to brought any significant console exclusives to STEAM.

Platinum really needs helps to brings their games to larger audience, and they never get the deal with Tencent without mutual interest, who else is better than Tencent to help platinum? perhaps UBIsoft, EA or Bethesda? Nintendo did not much to help Platinum beside bring Bayonetta 2/3 to WIIU/Switch, but Ninty also killed off Wonderful 101, a unique hidden gem with a lot of potential.

think about good things EPIC did for PC community and don't hate without any reason on China or chinese company like brainless dick, Epic store's client might is not as good as STEAM's at this moment but give them time to improve it, and never forget that STEAM has never counted 3 cauz they never cared what we really want.

So, how much is Sweeney paying you?

xdarkmario

Philosopher
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i HOPE that all they want i dont want anything happening to my precious platinum games lol.
i also wonder why nintendo doesn't just buy platinum games already. they are buddy-buddy enough.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sorry I sat on them when they were open
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: So that version is semi rare