Tencent is investing in PlatinumGames so that the developer can afford to self-publish its own games

5b4976668df94f2e7dcf4deda6ab8818.jpg

PlatinumGames, developers behind games such as Bayonetta, Nier, Astral Chain, and other renowned action games, is fed up with dealing with publishers. Last May, the company's CEO discussed PlatinumGames's issues with not being able to control their own IP's, with titles like The Wonderful 101 being stuck on the Nintendo Wii U, or SEGA standing in the way of future entries in franchises like Bayonetta or Vanquish. Platinum planned to change things, and move towards self-publishing their games in the future, following the release of Bayonetta 3, which is currently being published by Nintendo. It looks like the famed developer now has everything they need to self-publish, after receiving a capital investment from Tencent Holdings, a Chinese firm, and the largest gaming company in the world. Previously, they've invested in or owned shares of companies like Epic Games, Activision Blizzard, Riot Games, and Ubisoft. Platinum's CEO, Kenichi Sato, claims that PlatinumGames will remain independent and will continue their current operations as they have in the past, using the partnership in order to break into the self-publishing world, allowing for their games to reach a wider global audience.

:arrow: Source

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"ThIs PaRtNeRsHiP hAs No EfFeCt On ThE iNdEpEnDeNcE oF oUr CoMpAnY, aNd We WiLl CoNtInUe OpErAtIoNs UnDeR OuR cUrReNt CoRpOrAtE sTrUcTuRe."

Tencent, like most companies, wouldn't invest in anything unless they had something to gain. As great as PlatinumGames titles are (or were), I feel they're too small to provide any significant cash flow ROI for Tencent. They don't fit Tencent's MO. Unless they release the details of the investment (and they won't because LOL NDA's/"trade secrets" 4ever), I wouldn't trust the intended sentiment of their statement. It could very easily mean that Tencent currently has no "creative" input on their company and currently things will continue as normal, but not that they will stay that way for very long.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they get coerced to go full Epic Exclusive (not even timed) by Timmy Tencent and friends on further PC games/ports.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Goddamnit. I love Platinum, but Tencent is just a shell company for the Chinese government.

As long as that independence stays true. Otherwise, I rather have one of the big three just buy them.
Exactly, at this point Microsoft would've been a much better option and they would've let Platinum keep releasing their games on all platforms.

xdarkx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Controlling their own IPs has little to do with their decision. Think the more accurate reason is PlatinumGames wants more money.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure how I feel about this.

why? in the 90s publishers only translated and localized games when a developer lack the time n resources to do it themselves. Mainly when bringing games over from west to east and vice-versa. i wish many developers would go back to self publishing and would only seeker others out when there are problems.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1