1. pthfdr

pthfdr GBAtemp Regular

China
    Conspiracy: "Modern" games need high system specs not because the games themselves need that much, but because they mine bitcoins in the background when you are playing, thus it does not matter whether you pirate or not, they always get money.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  2. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Developer - noirscape

Netherlands
    Hrm, neat.

Hoping that P* gets to make some cool titles.

Remember, it's unlikely this will impact their works much. P* isn't known for making multiplayer games, which is what Tencent has previously received flak for (seriously, a lot of the drama with Tencent can be summarized by "people in online multiplayer games say things Tencent doesn't like"). They're the studio that makes flashy action games with good single player experiences. So I wouldn't say I mind it.

Kadji likes this.
  3. Kadji

Kadji GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    I am missing the most important information:
    Did Tencent buy shares from Platinum? And if yes, how many?

I would not be worried to much.
    First of all: Platinum is a japanese company. Japan and China are not best friends, it is very much in Platinums interest to keep control over their Studio. They don't want to lose face, especially if they are "overtaken" by a Chinese company. They don't just care about money.

With Epic, ActivisionBlizzard and so on the situation is a bit different: They don't have the mentality of "loosing face" (it's mostly an asian thing). So they don't care how bad they look to the outsiders when they follow the stuff Tencent demands from them. They just care about money.

Or are there japanese Companys that just follow Tencent's orders? I don't realy know of any...

4. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    it's the movie they made

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  5. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Developer - noirscape

Netherlands
    Also, I feel it's important to keep in mind that Tencent usually doesn't censor international releases of games from Studios that they fund. I know there's a few examples out there, but those are publisher laziness of not wanting to do separate versions for their games/filter stuff out purely for their Chinese audiences alone.

Ironically, we can point to Fortnite for an example of a game released in China through Tencent. In the chinese version, everything with skulls is removed from the game or highly censored, there is pretty much an "auto-win" situation if you survive long enough and there's a hard 3 hour per day playing cap. Stupid, but keep in mind that these aren't in the international version. The only thing that was changed to my knowledge in the international releases that could be construed as Tencent censoring Fortnite was the change of the skull icon for kills to a crosshair, but that might also just have been done for cleaner UI purposes/the entire aesthethic Fortnite likes to go for not really having a skull icon fit their HUD.

6. mario5555

mario5555 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yeah because Scalebound worked out so well.....

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-01-09-microsoft-kills-scalebound

No disrepect, but re-read what you wrote.

They want to self-publish on multiple platforms. Nintendo giving them money would lock them into an exclusivity deal WITH (wait for it...) Nintendo. Defeating the purpose of self-publishing to begin with.

------------

If anyone has been paying attention. A lot of the Platinum vets have been leaving (some even going back to work with Capcom, see RE2/3 remakes) so all is not right with them. If they can't find some way forward they'll get absorbed or lose their way, go bankrupt or go away in less than a decade.

Time will tell if this was a good or bad thing for them, who knows.

7. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

United States
    Silent_Gunner likes this.
  8. Bonehead
    This message by Bonehead has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Jan 10, 2020.
    Jan 10, 2020 Show
  9. the_randomizer
    This message by the_randomizer has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Jan 10, 2020.
    Jan 10, 2020 Show
  10. Bonehead
    This message by Bonehead has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Jan 10, 2020.
    Jan 10, 2020 Show
  11. the_randomizer
    This message by the_randomizer has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Jan 10, 2020.
    Jan 10, 2020 Show
  12. Bonehead
    Jan 10, 2020 Show
  13. the_randomizer
    Jan 10, 2020 Show
  14. Bonehead
    Jan 10, 2020 Show
  15. the_randomizer
    Jan 10, 2020 Show
  16. Bonehead
    Jan 10, 2020 Show
  17. LiveLatios
    This message by LiveLatios has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Jan 10, 2020, Reason: Thread cleanup.
    Jan 10, 2020 Show
  18. the_randomizer
    Jan 10, 2020 Show
  19. Bonehead
    Jan 10, 2020 Show
  20. Bonehead
    This message by Bonehead has been removed from public view by Chary, Jan 10, 2020.
    Jan 10, 2020 Show

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - PlatinumGames, investing, developer