Hacking TempGBA: NDSGBA revival

Do GBA games make your nono parts happy?

• Total voters

Canadacdn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
After testing of my own, the bug is not even worked around at automatic 0/2 (60/20 FPS) frameskip.

Even after trying to empty gpSP's buffers of pending audio, Mario Tennis still freezes due to the audio; this time it's an infinite loop of "Recovered from the lack of a buffer".

I've tried it at frameskip 1 while GBATemp was down with its gateway time-out error. It has worked flawlessly. I wanna completely disable frameskip 0 and remove the ability of automatic frameskip to go to 0.

Please don't remove frameskip 0 from the next version! There are many games that work just fine with it. Kirby, Alien Hominid, and the Crash Bandicoot games have all worked perfectly for me at fs 0.

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
TempGBA 1.43, the File Selector Edition, is now available.

* Supports more than 511 elements in a folder without crashing, RAM permitting. A progress indicator appears if a directory is large. For example, "Loading... (950)" indicates that the file selector has looked at 950 entries so far.
* The screenshot slideshow does not crash with an exception if there are no screenshots.
* It should not be possible anymore to be "locked" into the last page if it has 1 or 2 elements and you enter it with the R shoulder button.
* Sorting has been optimised with GameYob's quicksort code.
* Folders are now sorted inline with files.

Reactions: Rydian and Boriar

d.d.d.

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the continued work on the emu. :)
I tried 1.43 with Mario Kart and it seems to have gained a few more FPS. In many parts of the game it does run full 60/frameskip0 but while racing it does dip down to the mid-50s and some courses around 58-59. It's getting closer to running perfectly. I hope it gets there. :D

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the continued work on the emu. :)
I tried 1.43 with Mario Kart and it seems to have gained a few more FPS. In many parts of the game it does run full 60/frameskip0 but while racing it does dip down to the mid-50s and some courses around 58-59. It's getting closer to running perfectly. I hope it gets there. :D
I was just about to call you out on this, because I was pretty certain that 1.43 only had the file selector stuff, but I also have this commit in there:

commit 2c4879b04171981ef926710189f7815168a1948d
Author: Nebuleon <nebuleon@alakazam>
Date: Sat Jun 8 19:08:41 2013 -0400

(DSTwo-specific) Third workaround for GitHub issue #3, "Crashes at frame skipping 0".
So it may help out, in the case where a full 60 FPS is attainable but depended on audio output following a certain pattern in the 2nd workaround...

But, when compiling the 1.43 release, I forgot that I had some uncommitted Makefile flags for serial-line tracing of code cache flushes and sound buffer recovery from that 3rd workaround. It takes a bit of time to write stuff to the serial line, even if it doesn't exist in a normal Supercard. So I think it would slow down, but you say it speeds up. Interesting.

d.d.d.

Trophies
XP
Country
I'll take your word on the programming side of things (can't made sense of code) - I can only say what I perceive from the previous version. ;)

Though I did try it without sound and it seemed to edge closer to 60fps but it still did not quite get there. That and it felt very odd in the fluidity of the gfx with sound off (again could just be perception without sound feeling weird or something).

I did get one random crash (I was running the DS2 at full CPU and FP/0 though) and it did happen when the FPS started to drop so I'm not really concerned with that.

DGenerateKane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I just got my 3ds xl and my dstwo today. Every time I try to load a cheat file for a game (I've tried 3 so far) it hangs as soon as I select load cheat file, and I have to return to the 3ds main menu. I realize cheat support is pretty bad, but other people can at least get further along than that. Is there a specific version of TempGBA I should be using? Or am I just doing something wrong?

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Overlay the time in big numbers across the top screen when in the menu. It's the only way!
Or across the entire Touch Screen while playing?

whole-screen-clock.png

(DSi XL source. Golden Sun image courtesy of Wikipedia. The font is DejaVu Sans Condensed.)

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Version 1.43
So you made save states with version 1.43, and you can't read them again with version 1.43? What happens when you try?

(To clarify, do you mean that 1.43 can't read a saved state it JUST wrote?)

Edit: Whoa, this is a big one... You can read using the Quick Load State hotkey in 1.43, but not the saved states interface! I'll need to investigate this.

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for fixing this Bug :)
TempGBA 1.43.1 is now available to fix the "Load state" menu bug. It was a regression caused by this commit:
commit f69f7b7097c1e69044bff68fbadbfe2e0c0b3263
Author: Nebuleon <nebuleon@alakazam>
Date: Mon Jun 10 22:24:13 2013 -0400

Prevent a file handle leak when previewing saved states in the row of Load cells.

Reactions: Boriar

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work