Hacking TempGBA: NDSGBA revival

Do GBA games make your nono parts happy?

• Total voters

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nebuleon:

Have you notice that update of official plugins page: http://eng.supercard.sc/manual/dstwo/plugin.htm

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

PS: I think your name must appear on the TempGBA description like the actual programmer
Oh hey, I did not notice the actual plugin page got modified :blink:

That is nice. And my name is in both descriptions, with ShadauxCat added in for CATSFC :D

Canadacdn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Did you remove those uncommitted Makefile flags for serial-line tracing of code cache flushes and sound buffer recovery from your previous workarounds that were in 1.43?

Xarsah16

GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
Not sure if you're aware, but after awhile, while playing A Link to the Past (GBA Zelda Remake), the sound of the game starts to get this buzz which later drowns out most of the sound and gets stronger as time passes... not sure why, and I'm not sure if it's something with the emulator. I wish I could describe it more.

It seems like upon my testing - if I just stand still for about a minute, and stop doing anything intensive on the sound, like attacking with Link's sword for instance, the buzz will start to go away, and to my surprise it faded again. It's happened in the overworld and in the East Dungeon (I think that's the name I forgot already.) Also, I noticed that if I used a save state where it wasn't buzzing, and the buzz got really bad, I could reload my save state, and the buzz would be gone, but it would begin starting up again.

Any ideas? Thanks for your help :)

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not sure if you're aware, but after awhile, while playing A Link to the Past (GBA Zelda Remake), the sound of the game starts to get this buzz which later drowns out most of the sound and gets stronger as time passes... not sure why, and I'm not sure if it's something with the emulator. I wish I could describe it more.

It seems like upon my testing - if I just stand still for about a minute, and stop doing anything intensive on the sound, like attacking with Link's sword for instance, the buzz will start to go away, and to my surprise it faded again. It's happened in the overworld and in the East Dungeon (I think that's the name I forgot already.) Also, I noticed that if I used a save state where it wasn't buzzing, and the buzz got really bad, I could reload my save state, and the buzz would be gone, but it would begin starting up again.

Any ideas? Thanks for your help :)
I did try to optimise the sound rendering in earlier versions of TempGBA, thinking maybe it had something to do with, well, anything. But I don't remember if I actually carried out those optimisations in public releases or discarded them shortly after.

The cause depends on whether this is in the Game Boy beeper channels (PSG) or the noise channel. Is this "buzz" a 'sssssshhhhhhh' sound or a low rumble? Does it stay in the background or does its amplitude reach the same level as the actual music?

To conclusively prove whether it was my changes that broke the music, you could download the earliest version on Filetrip, TempGBA beta 4, and try running Zelda on it for a comparable amount of time. If it buzzes, it wasn't me, and I don't know what the problem could be. If it doesn't buzz, it was me, and I'll need to run tests of comparable length on 17 versions taken from my code repository.

Of note: TempGBA beta 4 won't read your saved states, because beta 8 or 9 introduced a breaking change in the saved state format. Back up your saved games and the settings file /TEMPGBA/NDSGBA.CFG before testing.

Xarsah16

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks, I'll do this sometime today or tomorrow :)

The buzz was more like the sound of a rumble, and to answer your crossed out question, the amplitude does reach the same level as the music.

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks, I'll do this sometime today or tomorrow :)

The buzz was more like the sound of a rumble, and to answer your crossed out question, the amplitude does reach the same level as the music.
Thanks in advance. And I crossed out the question because you answered it in your post, saying it ended up taking over the music entirely.

kane159

Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
hello again, when I play Wario-land 4 is hank so much, when hank ,I cant even call out the menu, do i set anything wrong?I just change the language of TempGBA
by the way, heres the Chinese Traditional(繁體中文) language file can it be add in next release :) thanks
Code:
STARTCHINESETRA
#MSG_MAIN_MENU_NEW_GAME
新遊戲
#MSG_MAIN_MENU_RETURN_TO_GAME
返回遊戲
#MSG_MAIN_MENU_RESET_GAME
重置遊戲
#MSG_MAIN_MENU_VIDEO_AUDIO
圖像聲音
#MSG_MAIN_MENU_SAVED_STATES
存檔
#MSG_MAIN_MENU_CHEATS
金手指
#MSG_MAIN_MENU_TOOLS
工具
#MSG_MAIN_MENU_OPTIONS
綜合設置
#MSG_MAIN_MENU_EXIT
退出模擬器
#MSG_FILE_MENU_LOADING_LIST
裝載...
#MSG_FILE_MENU_SORTING_LIST
列表進行排序...
#FMT_VIDEO_AUDIO_FLUIDITY_PREFERENCE
流暢度                    %s
#MSG_VIDEO_AUDIO_FLUIDITY_PREFER_VIDEO
視頻優先
#MSG_VIDEO_AUDIO_FLUIDITY_PREFER_AUDIO
音頻優先
#FMT_VIDEO_ASPECT_RATIO
畫面                        %s
#FMT_VIDEO_FAST_FORWARD
遊戲快進                %s
#FMT_VIDEO_FRAME_SKIPPING
跳幀方式                %s
#FMT_VIDEO_FRAMES_PER_SECOND_COUNTER
FPS 計數器              %s
#FMT_AUDIO_SOUND
聲音開關                %s
#FMT_VIDEO_REWINDING
倒退                    %s
#FMT_VIDEO_BOOT_MODE
啟動進入                %s
#FMT_VIDEO_GAME_SCREEN
遊戲螢幕                %s
#FMT_SAVED_STATE_CREATE
寫入存檔                %d
#FMT_SAVED_STATE_LOAD
讀取存檔                %d
#MSG_SAVED_STATE_DELETE_GENERAL
刪除存檔
#FMT_CHEAT_PAGE
金手指代碼頁  %d
#MSG_CHEAT_LOAD_FROM_FILE
加載金手指代碼文件
#MSG_TOOLS_SCREENSHOT_GENERAL
螢幕截圖
#MSG_TOOLS_GLOBAL_HOTKEY_GENERAL
全局熱鍵
#MSG_TOOLS_GAME_HOTKEY_GENERAL
特定遊戲熱鍵
#MSG_TOOLS_GLOBAL_BUTTON_MAPPING_GENERAL
全局按鍵映射...
#MSG_TOOLS_GAME_BUTTON_MAPPING_GENERAL
特定遊戲按鍵映射...
#MSG_TOOLS_DEBUG_MENU_ENGLISH
調試 (英文)...
#FMT_OPTIONS_LANGUAGE
語言                                %s
#FMT_OPTIONS_CPU_FREQUENCY
CPU 主頻                        %s
#MSG_OPTIONS_CPU_FREQUENCY_0
[0] 240 MHz
#MSG_OPTIONS_CPU_FREQUENCY_1
[1] 300 MHz
#MSG_OPTIONS_CPU_FREQUENCY_2
[2] 336 MHz
#MSG_OPTIONS_CPU_FREQUENCY_3
[3] 360 MHz
#MSG_OPTIONS_CPU_FREQUENCY_4
[4] 384 MHz
#MSG_OPTIONS_CPU_FREQUENCY_5
[5] 396 MHz
#MSG_OPTIONS_CARD_CAPACITY
卡帶容量
#MSG_OPTIONS_RESET
缺省設置
#MSG_OPTIONS_VERSION
版本信息
#MSG_SCREENSHOT_CREATE
保存螢幕截圖
#MSG_SCREENSHOT_BROWSE
瀏覽螢幕截圖
#MSG_HOTKEY_REWIND
遊戲倒退
#MSG_HOTKEY_MAIN_MENU
返回主選單
#MSG_HOTKEY_TEMPORARY_FAST_FORWARD
臨時加速
#MSG_HOTKEY_SOUND_TOGGLE
音頻開關
#MSG_HOTKEY_QUICK_LOAD_STATE
讀取即時存檔 1
#MSG_HOTKEY_QUICK_SAVE_STATE
保存即時存檔 1
#MSG_HOTKEY_FULL_SCREEN_TOGGLE
全螢幕開關
#MSG_BUTTON_MAPPING_A
GBA 按鍵 *A
#MSG_BUTTON_MAPPING_B
GBA 按鍵 *B
#MSG_BUTTON_MAPPING_SELECT
GBA 按鍵 *s
#MSG_BUTTON_MAPPING_START
GBA 按鍵 *S
#MSG_BUTTON_MAPPING_R
GBA 按鍵 *R
#MSG_BUTTON_MAPPING_L
GBA 按鍵 *L
#MSG_BUTTON_MAPPING_RAPID_A
連打 *A
#MSG_BUTTON_MAPPING_RAPID_B
連打 *B
#MSG_BUTTON_MAPPING_INHERITED_FROM_GLOBAL
(全局)
#MSG_PROGRESS_HOTKEY_WAITING_FOR_KEYS
按下你想要設置的熱鍵組合。
#MSG_PROGRESS_MAPPING_WAITING_FOR_KEY
按下相應的 DS 按鍵來設置這個 GBA 按鍵。
#MSG_PROGRESS_MAPPING_WAITING_FOR_KEY_OR_CLEAR
按下相應的 DS 按鍵來設置這個 GBA 按鍵。\n
\n
你可以一次按下兩個按鍵來刪除這個 映射。
#MSG_HOTKEY_DELETE_WITH_A
*A 清除
#MSG_HOTKEY_CANCEL_WITH_B
*B 取消
#MSG_LOAD_GAME_RECENTLY_PLAYED
最近玩過的遊戲
#MSG_LOAD_GAME_FROM_CARD
新遊戲
#MSG_LOAD_GAME_MENU_TITLE
裝載遊戲
#MSG_VIDEO_ASPECT_RATIO_0
顯示模式 0
#MSG_VIDEO_ASPECT_RATIO_1
顯示模式 1
#MSG_VIDEO_ASPECT_RATIO_2
顯示模式 2
#MSG_VIDEO_ASPECT_RATIO_3
顯示模式 3
#MSG_VIDEO_ASPECT_RATIO_4
顯示模式 4
#MSG_VIDEO_FRAME_SKIPPING_AUTOMATIC
[-] 和遊戲同步
#MSG_VIDEO_FRAME_SKIPPING_0
[0] 不跳幀
#MSG_VIDEO_FRAME_SKIPPING_1
[1] 顯示 1/2
#MSG_VIDEO_FRAME_SKIPPING_2
[2] 顯示 1/3
#MSG_VIDEO_FRAME_SKIPPING_3
[3] 顯示 1/4
#MSG_VIDEO_FRAME_SKIPPING_4
[4] 顯示 1/5
#MSG_VIDEO_FRAME_SKIPPING_5
[5] 顯示 1/6
#MSG_VIDEO_FRAME_SKIPPING_6
[6] 顯示 1/7
#MSG_VIDEO_FRAME_SKIPPING_7
[7] 顯示 1/8
#MSG_VIDEO_FRAME_SKIPPING_8
[8] 顯示 1/9
#MSG_VIDEO_FRAME_SKIPPING_9
[9] 顯示 1/10
#MSG_VIDEO_FRAME_SKIPPING_10
[10] 顯示 1/11
#MSG_VIDEO_REWINDING_0
禁用
#MSG_VIDEO_REWINDING_1
0.25 秒(總計 2.5 秒)
#MSG_VIDEO_REWINDING_2
0.5 秒(總計 5 秒)
#MSG_VIDEO_REWINDING_3
1 秒(總計 10 秒)
#MSG_VIDEO_REWINDING_4
2 秒(總計 20 秒)
#MSG_VIDEO_REWINDING_5
5 秒(總計 50 秒)
#MSG_VIDEO_REWINDING_6
10 秒(總計 1 分 40 秒)
#MSG_VIDEO_BOOT_MODE_CARTRIDGE
卡帶 ROM
#MSG_VIDEO_BOOT_MODE_LOGO
GBA 圖標
#MSG_VIDEO_GAME_SCREEN_TOP
上屏
#MSG_VIDEO_GAME_SCREEN_BOTTOM
下屏
#MSG_GENERAL_OFF
關
#MSG_GENERAL_ON
開
#MSG_GENERAL_CONFIRM_WITH_A
*A 確認
#MSG_GENERAL_CANCEL_WITH_B
*B 取消
#MSG_AUDIO_ENABLED
開
#MSG_AUDIO_MUTED
靜音
#MSG_TOP_SCREEN_NO_GAME_LOADED
沒有加載遊戲
#MSG_CHEAT_ELEMENT_NOT_LOADED
<沒有加載>
#MSG_SAVESTATE_FULL
當前存檔槽已有存檔文件,覆蓋現有存檔嗎?
#MSG_PROGRESS_SAVED_STATE_CREATING
正在寫入...
#MSG_PROGRESS_SAVED_STATE_CREATION_FAILED
存檔寫入失敗!
#MSG_PROGRESS_SAVED_STATE_CREATION_SUCCEEDED
存檔寫入成功!
#MSG_TOP_SCREEN_NO_SAVED_STATE_IN_SLOT
沒有遊戲截圖
#MSG_PROGRESS_SAVED_STATE_CORRUPTED
存檔文件不存在或者已損壞!
#MSG_PROGRESS_SAVED_STATE_LOADING
正在加載...
#MSG_PROGRESS_SAVED_STATE_LOAD_FAILED
存檔加載失敗
#MSG_PROGRESS_SAVED_STATE_LOAD_SUCCEEDED
存檔加載成功
#FMT_STATUS_FRAMES_PER_SECOND
FPS:繪製 %d ,模擬 %d/60
#MSG_SAVED_STATE_DELETE_ALL
刪除當前遊戲的所有存檔
#FMT_SAVED_STATE_DELETE_ONE
刪除當前遊戲的一個存檔        %d
#MSG_DIALOG_SAVED_STATE_DELETE_ALL
確定要刪除所有存檔嗎?
#FMT_DIALOG_SAVED_STATE_DELETE_ONE
確定要刪除存檔槽 %d 的存檔嗎?
#MSG_PROGRESS_SAVED_STATE_ALREADY_EMPTY
沒有存檔可刪除
#MSG_PROGRESS_SCREENSHOT_CREATING
正在保存屏幕快照...
#MSG_PROGRESS_SCREENSHOT_CREATION_SUCCEEDED
完成!
#MSG_PROGRESS_SCREENSHOT_CREATION_FAILED
失敗!
#MSG_NO_SLIDE
此目錄沒有螢幕截圖,取消放映
#MSG_PLAYING_SLIDE
正在播放
#MSG_PAUSE_SLIDE
已暫停
#MSG_SCREENSHOT_SLIDESHOW_KEYS
*u  加快播放\n
*d  減慢播放\n
*l  上一幀    \n
*r  下一幀    \n
*A  暫停        \n
*B  返回選單
#MSG_PROGRESS_LOADING_GAME
正在裝載遊戲...
#MSG_EMULATOR_NAME
GBA模擬器
#MSG_WORD_EMULATOR_VERSION
版本
#MSG_DIALOG_RESET
確定將 GBA 模擬器恢復為預設值嗎?
#MSG_PROGRESS_RESETTING
正在設置,請稍候...
#MSG_UNCERTAIN

Xarsah16

Trophies
XP
Country
Nebuleon - sorry things seem to have piled up for you :wacko:

Results are in from my Zelda test.

Downloaded Beta 4 as you mentioned. Emulator boots the ROM to the GBA LTTP Title screen. I enter my name and begin a new game. I select Link to the Past instead of 4 Swords. Triforce appears along with the SNES title screen. I press start, and the ROM quits there, so I can't test for the sound bug because all I have is a black screen and an unresponsive emulator. I'm guessing not all the support was enabled, and I kinda need to play through the game to see if I can replicate the sound bug.

Sorry :(

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nebuleon - sorry things seem to have piled up for you :wacko:

Results are in from my Zelda test.

Downloaded Beta 4 as you mentioned. Emulator boots the ROM to the GBA LTTP Title screen. I enter my name and begin a new game. I select Link to the Past instead of 4 Swords. Triforce appears along with the SNES title screen. I press start, and the ROM quits there, so I can't test for the sound bug because all I have is a black screen and an unresponsive emulator. I'm guessing not all the support was enabled, and I kinda need to play through the game to see if I can replicate the sound bug.

Sorry :(
What you can try, then, is to find out which version is the first to work at all. Then you find out if that version has the low rumbling sound.

You can use binary search for this. There are 13 betas and 6 releases on Filetrip, but 'beta 14' and '1.43.1' are not versions in which the game compatibility changes. So you have 17 versions, and you'd narrow it down by taking the 8th version, seeing if it works, then taking either the 4th version or the 12th, and so on. That way you're guaranteed to need at most 5 versions.

Xarsah16

Trophies
XP
Country
What you can try, then, is to find out which version is the first to work at all. Then you find out if that version has the low rumbling sound.

You can use binary search for this. There are 13 betas and 6 releases on Filetrip, but 'beta 14' and '1.43.1' are not versions in which the game compatibility changes. So you have 17 versions, and you'd narrow it down by taking the 8th version, seeing if it works, then taking either the 4th version or the 12th, and so on. That way you're guaranteed to need at most 5 versions.

My brain just broke... which is sad because usually I'm perfectly able to figure out this kind of stuff. Is there any way you could simplify that for me? :(

Xarsah16

Trophies
XP
Country

My brain just broke... which is sad because usually I'm perfectly able to figure out this kind of stuff. Is there any way you could simplify that for me? :(

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
With corrections.
a) Hello again. When I play Wario Land 4 it freezes a lot. When frozen, I can't even enter the menu. Did I set anything wrong? I only changed the language.
b) By the way, here's the Chinese Traditional (繁體中文) language file. Can it be added in the next release? :) thanks
a) I don't really know what's up. If you tried to show all frames (0 frame skipping), try setting it so it shows half the frames (1/2).

b) Thanks for the new translation. I'll definitely add it in!

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There are 19 versions of TempGBA available on Filetrip. In order, they'd be:

Code:
betas 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | releases 1.40 | 1.41 | 1.41+mem | 1.42 | 1.43 | 1.43.1

Take the middle one, see if it works. If it does, take the middle one of the OLDER set. If it doesn't, then the older ones won't work, so you take the middle one of the NEWER set.

Code:
betas 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | releases 1.40 | 1.41 | 1.41+mem | 1.42 | 1.43 | 1.43.1
                                        ^

Try Beta 11. If it works:
betas 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
                  ^

If it doesn't:
betas 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | releases 1.40 | 1.41 | 1.41+mem | 1.42 | 1.43 | 1.43.1
                                    ^

Xarsah16

Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you! I'll let you know how all of that goes.

EDIT: Nebuleon -

I'm just going to delete TempGBA and reinstall everything of it, starting with 1.42 as you recommended in my other thread, and then I'll do the testing of each of the versions with the binary method as you listed again.

When neither Beta 11 or 1.40 worked (same black screen upon pressing start on the SNES LTTP title screen in the GBA Remake), when I reinstalled 1.42, I kept getting the black screen when it was working before. Everything keeps breaking. This time, I'm going to format my card in between each update - as I think I forgot to do so. I'll also re-download the ROM and test in all 3 emulators. I'm also curious to see if VBA will do the door glitch too so I'll check that out as well. (see below about entering buildings.)

The other thing is that with gpSP (the Kai build) on my PSP, the EOS emulator, and TempGBA - I noticed I have to save state before I enter a building - because by some random occurrence, when the game works, the game will crash into the bios right when I enter. TempGBA and gpSP give me a white screen with pink Gameboy Advance text at the bottom, and a screeching beep sound. The EOS one just gives me a white screen when this happens.

Things just keep breaking. I'll let you know no later than Tuesday, I promise, what has happened with everything. It's a little frustrating and I need to take a break for 24 hours tops because I've been going through the beginning of the game non stop it seems.

If it's never going to work properly, then I'll just resort to watching a playthrough or just reading the wiki because I don't own a SNES.

EDIT#2 - Running the ROM in Visual Boy Advance yields no issue except poor sound quality, a constant background buzz that is different from the one in TempGBA. The sound in TempGBA was a ton clearer with the gradual buzz as I was telling you about. So basically, the door glitch - not happening in VBA. I guess it's something limited to handhelds.

I use my DS most frequently, so that's why I was hoping to have it work.

chomp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was there any change to auto frameskip between 1.43 and 1.43.1? Playing Pokemon Fire Red and the performance is noticeably less now. Around 50 FPS and lower using auto frameskip. Before it seemed to be pretty much perfect aside from the random freezing that I know has been a problem.

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Was there any change to auto frameskip between 1.43 and 1.43.1? Playing Pokemon Fire Red and the performance is noticeably less now. Around 50 FPS and lower using auto frameskip. Before it seemed to be pretty much perfect aside from the random freezing that I know has been a problem.
The only change from 1.43 to 1.43.1 is the saved states menu. This is the commit. It's literally one line.

However, it's possible that the addition of that line (and the .1 in the version, which appears in the binary) pushes some data structures around and they become misaligned; in that case, gpSP is MUCH more dependent upon the data cache of the MIPS processor than I thought.

I doubt it's likely that it's that bad... but it's possible.

fireball116

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, longtime lurker here. I've been running patched mother 3 (J) on 1.43.1, and so far it runs great in terms of performance, with no crashing on frame skip 1. However, there's some kind of weird audio issue; some of the music in the game choppily pans between the two speakers when it should be playing out of both at the same time. It's kind of hard to explain. When coming out of the 3ds' external speakers, it manifests as a crackling noise, it's easier to hear the problem with headphones/earphones. I've tried different frame rate settings and CPU setting but nothing seems to fix this issue. FYI I usually use frameskip 1 with 396 MHz.

chomp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only change from 1.43 to 1.43.1 is the saved states menu. This is the commit. It's literally one line.

However, it's possible that the addition of that line (and the .1 in the version, which appears in the binary) pushes some data structures around and they become misaligned; in that case, gpSP is MUCH more dependent upon the data cache of the MIPS processor than I thought.

I doubt it's likely that it's that bad... but it's possible.

Well I went back today just to make sure I was really seeing a performance drop and was going to compare it to older versions, and everything seems normal again. Was seeing 50fps before now it's back to 60. Still in the same area in the game. Not sure what caused the drop before.

isavior

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Hello, thank you for the great emulator. But I've got problems with the new version.
I upgraded the emulator from 1.41 to 1.43 and found that the new version couldn't open Rhythm Tengoku which could be opened in the old version. The game is in a zip file. When I clicked the game, a loading window showed up and then flashed out immediately.I think it has something to do with the extraction process of such a big rom but i'm not sure. A new $temp.gba file is also generated in the TEMPGBA folder. I switched back to the 1.41 version and there was no such a file at all.

I didn't go through the whole thread, am i the only one encountered the problem?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVN9kIUNxw +1