Hacking TempGBA: NDSGBA revival

Do GBA games make your nono parts happy?

• Total voters

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Is there some sort of alternative/backup to filetrip.net? They've been down for 2 days now and I'd really like to upgrade my old nds-gba to this one because I love the Golden Sun series. If not I'll just wait for it come back up
At supercard.sc it's also hosted, but I'm not sure which version that is, probably not the latest but at least you can give it a go.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The latest version of TempGBA, 1.43.1, will be the last one ever under my name.

If anyone wants to take up maintainership of the project from now on, drop me a private message for committer access on Nebuleon/TempGBA.

Pending issues are on GitHub, as well as the following that have not been put on GitHub. They are possible entry points into future development.
  • Game compatibility improvements.
    • High-accuracy audio rendering to avoid desynchronisation between the GB beeper channels and the Direct Sound DMA channels. This includes correctly handling power-of-2 and non-power-of-2 fractions of the GBA's sound output frequency, 16777216 Hz, in 512 bits per sample and 256 bits per sample modes.
    • Rendering of certain esoteric video modes, such as mosaic and alpha blending.
    • Correct handling of the ARM prefetch queue for the Classic NES games.
  • A very frustrating issue with the audio output which freezes the DS's video, audio and input if enough audio is available only exactly at the time audio is ready to be sent. (DS2 SDK)
  • A bottleneck affecting video output, whereby 42 FPS is the highest the DS2 can provide to the DS, not 60 FPS. (DS2 SDK)
  • Several issues with 64 GiB cards and cards of up to 32 GiB that have not been formatted with the Panasonic SD Formatter with the size adjustment set, including investigating why reads on non-adjusted cards work, but writes corrupt. (DS2 SDK)
  • New language translations, as appropriate. A Chinese Traditional translation is available a few pages back, but will not be included by me.
That's a pity. Haven't seen you on IRC either, wish you would stick around there.
Development of TempGBA is surely going to slow down a lot now. You were doing a lot for the project.

Is there some sort of alternative/backup to filetrip.net? They've been down for 2 days now and I'd really like to upgrade my old nds-gba to this one because I love the Golden Sun series. If not I'll just wait for it come back up
Filetrip should be back now.

SamuelGaff

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The original megaman battle network appears fine in the compatibility but I'm encountering frequent freezes when I try to play it. I've switched between the eu and u versions but the problem still exists. In the compatibility they mention making a save state for another game that freezes, and then picking up from there, but from what I've seen any gba game that freezes locks up the entire system forcing me to exit.
Could it be a problem with some of my files or is it just some undocumented issue with the first megaman battle network?
Other gba games are working fine for the most part

ultrapowerpie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, filetemp is back up, huhzah!

I am having issues adding saves to the emulator. For example, I found a Link to the Past game with the 4swords completed but the actual game at the start so that I can enjoy the 4swords bonus content of dungeon and hurricane attack without actually trying to get AR codes to work, but the emulator doesn't seem to read it and instead starts a new game save. I put the save in the save folder and it's the exact name of the game which is in the games folder, and the file is saved as a .sav and not a .gba.sav. So I'm not qutie sure what's up with that.

Other then that it works wonderfully! I am so glad this came about!!

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, filetemp is back up, huhzah!

I am having issues adding saves to the emulator. For example, I found a Link to the Past game with the 4swords completed but the actual game at the start so that I can enjoy the 4swords bonus content of dungeon and hurricane attack without actually trying to get AR codes to work, but the emulator doesn't seem to read it and instead starts a new game save. I put the save in the save folder and it's the exact name of the game which is in the games folder, and the file is saved as a .sav and not a .gba.sav. So I'm not qutie sure what's up with that.

Other then that it works wonderfully! I am so glad this came about!!

Can you attach the save file? And include a reference to the ROM, like its name, version and region, possibly mapped to the scene release number, size, CRC32?

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

ultrapowerpie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sointely... and the upload file option isn't letting me work... Odd....

http://www.zeldalegends.net/index.php?n=saves -that's hwere I got the save from, it's the very last on on teh bottom (appologies if that is not how to do it, I'm still new to this forum), the beg.sav file.... (BTW, this does work in no$GBA but when I load the actual file (from menu, pick between two games, then hit new/continue, it crashes, may be rom)

As for ROM:
0776 - The Legend Of Zelda - A Link To The Past (U).gba, though that's the re-named file.. the original one is named Zelda - A Link to the Past.gba

Uhh, Originally I used the one by Mode7 but they had an obnoxious intro thing that you couldn't skip so Imoved to this one...

anyways the size is 8 MB... It doesn't really have that much other issues...

The Mode7 one I CAN give you more details though.

Though tBF, I did use the Mode7 ROM on the no$gba to test... I know we can't like, directly link the rom or something so I'm being a bit overly cautious about this, sorry <.<

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The original megaman battle network appears fine in the compatibility but I'm encountering frequent freezes when I try to play it. I've switched between the eu and u versions but the problem still exists. In the compatibility they mention making a save state for another game that freezes, and then picking up from there, but from what I've seen any gba game that freezes locks up the entire system forcing me to exit.
Could it be a problem with some of my files or is it just some undocumented issue with the first megaman battle network?
Other gba games are working fine for the most part

That may be related to the issue with the automatic frameskip, which tries to send 60 FPS to the DS. If 1 frameskip (30 FPS) makes the game work, that will be a workaround for now.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

SamuelGaff

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That may be related to the issue with the automatic frameskip, which tries to send 60 FPS to the DS. If 1 frameskip (30 FPS) makes the game work, that will be a workaround for now.

I'll be happy if that can work, I wasn't sure how I can use frameskip to fix a problem, so I'll set it to 1 and check on that. I'll also check the compatibility to see any other possible framerate issues and adjust accordingly

Prof. 9

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Odd, I've been playing Mega Man Battle Network 1 (U) on TempGBA recently on 0 frameskip/CPU 5. I'm 5+ hours into it now and it's only frozen once, during an FPS dip due to (presumably) too many NPCs on the screen. Although, sometimes it froze for a second or so before continuing (though I think that might've been with a slightly older version). Now that I think about it, with some CPU speeds being unstable, couldn't the locking up be due to the CPU speed?

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sointely... and the upload file option isn't letting me work... Odd....

http://www.zeldalegends.net/index.php?n=saves -that's hwere I got the save from, it's the very last on on teh bottom (appologies if that is not how to do it, I'm still new to this forum), the beg.sav file.... (BTW, this does work in no$GBA but when I load the actual file (from menu, pick between two games, then hit new/continue, it crashes, may be rom)

As for ROM:
0776 - The Legend Of Zelda - A Link To The Past (U).gba, though that's the re-named file.. the original one is named Zelda - A Link to the Past.gba

Uhh, Originally I used the one by Mode7 but they had an obnoxious intro thing that you couldn't skip so Imoved to this one...

anyways the size is 8 MB... It doesn't really have that much other issues...

The Mode7 one I CAN give you more details though.

Though tBF, I did use the Mode7 ROM on the no$gba to test... I know we can't like, directly link the rom or something so I'm being a bit overly cautious about this, sorry <.<
The save file you linked to is 64 KiB (65536 bytes). If gpSP finds a save file larger than what the game says, it blindly trusts your save file and adjusts the save type.

The correct size is 8 KiB (8192 bytes). Thus the save type is wrong, and the save becomes unreadable at the location where gpSP loads it.

Try trimming the file to 8192 bytes with a hex editor. In hex, the offset will be 2000; you can delete everything from there until 10000.

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
TempGBA 1.44 is now available under the names of the following people:
* kane159, and his/her Chinese Traditional localisation from 2 pages ago;
* Nebuleon's past self, who said she wanted stability first and foremost in emulators for the DSTwo.

This release changes the automatic frameskipper to be 30 FPS (1 frameskip) or fewer, instead of 60 FPS or fewer. This works around the crashes in the DS2SDK when audio drops at 60 FPS.

Reactions: syrusch

masterz87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
are you going to be working with the gcw guy to get tempgba on the dingoo? Or is that completely gone now too?

Also sad to see that it's now hit its top/end, it's done a lot for emulator though I can't believe it's gotten as good as it was/is.

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't want to seem ungrateful, but since you are done for the most part on a SNES EMU and GBA emu. Have you considered working on any other EMUs for the DS2? (Such as a SEGA one):creep:

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
are you going to be working with the gcw guy to get tempgba on the dingoo? Or is that completely gone now too?

Also sad to see that it's now hit its top/end, it's done a lot for emulator though I can't believe it's gotten as good as it was/is.
Don't know.
I don't want to seem ungrateful, but since you are done for the most part on a SNES EMU and GBA emu. Have you considered working on any other EMUs for the DS2? (Such as a SEGA one):creep:
No, the SDK is too bad. (Also: A Sega emulator? You mean one that emulates the company itself, or one that emulates every system Sega has made?)

Additionally, for some systems there is a DS homebrew that does the job, and I would rather not duplicate effort. For example, GameYob, nesDS, etc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: