Hacking Switch OLED kamikaze method gone wrong

loro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I tried to unlock a Nintendo Switch OLED using the kamikaze method, but I was unfortunate enough to kill it. I think I went from the third to the fourth layer and now the Switch won't turn on anymore. I have the pad in the exact position of dat0 and the measurements match (around 0.550V), but I believe I'm on layer 4, because it won't turn on anymore, I don't know if I can confirm this.

My question is: is there a way to fix it or can it be considered dead?

Maybe if I scrape a little to the side of the dat0 point on the third layer I can get the track to connect to the fourth layer and that would solve the problem?

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
It can be fixed but it will be more work.
You could make a bigger hole to get access to the 3rd layer and reconnect the DAT0 line again and add your DAT0 connection for the picofly.

Reactions: loro

loro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Would it be to the right of dat0? Like in this image?

From what I saw in the diagram, it seems to be coming from that direction, but I'm afraid it might end up hitting some other track. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the complete diagram, only images that were released on the internet, so I don't know exactly what's around dat0

1725241896185.png

loro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Layer 4 should be ground layer though, so you probably could repair dat0 broken trace from L3 back to the via when enlarge the area and jumper the trace carefully
View attachment 455805
Perfect, I'll try next weekend and get back to you with updates. Thanks so far!

Just one question. On layer 4 (which I believe is on) I'm getting the expected measurement of 0.550V, which leads me to believe that layer 4 is the one that connects to the eMMC and layer 3 to another place where it's necessary to connect to dat0 (maybe the APU). Can you confirm this?

Until now I thought it was on layer 4 because the Switch was dead, but if layer 3 is the one connected to the eMMC, I shouldn't be getting this measurement, right? That way I should investigate another problem, even though I've basically only been dealing with this.

jkyoho

Trophies
Website
form.jotform.com
XP
Country
Canada
Perfect, I'll try next weekend and get back to you with updates. Thanks so far!

Just one question. On layer 4 (which I believe is on) I'm getting the expected measurement of 0.550V, which leads me to believe that layer 4 is the one that connects to the eMMC and layer 3 to another place where it's necessary to connect to dat0 (maybe the APU). Can you confirm this?

Until now I thought it was on layer 4 because the Switch was dead, but if layer 3 is the one connected to the eMMC, I shouldn't be getting this measurement, right? That way I should investigate another problem, even though I've basically only been dealing with this.
The through hole via of dat0 goes through layer3 to all the way to layer7 and goes to emmc on the other side of motherboard. The reading might/would still be present since emmc still in tact but broken trace from CPU to emmc on layer3 to the via would make OLED stuck on RCM mode/black screen.

Reactions: loro

loro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The through hole via of dat0 goes through layer3 to all the way to layer7 and goes to emmc on the other side of motherboard. The reading might/would still be present since emmc still in tact but broken trace from CPU to emmc on layer3 to the via would make OLED stuck on RCM mode/black screen.
Great, then that's probably it. Thanks!

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
On the site https://balika011.hu/switch/oled/

you have high res pictures of each layer

This is layer 6:
1725298575927.png

This are Layer 5 and 6
1725298632820.png

And this are Layer 4, 5 & 6
1725298672057.png

layer 5 & 6 with the mark on the image above
1725298774758.png

Layer 4 is almost all ground:
1725298816891.png

Layer 3 is the top traces:
1725298904027.png

Layer 2 is the green mask and soldering points so I don't show

Finally layer 1 is the components one:
1725298970348.png

Hope this help you

Reactions: loro and BigOnYa

loro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
On the site https://balika011.hu/switch/oled/

you have high res pictures of each layer

This is layer 6:
View attachment 455894

This are Layer 5 and 6
View attachment 455895

And this are Layer 4, 5 & 6
View attachment 455896

layer 5 & 6 with the mark on the image above
View attachment 455897

Layer 4 is almost all ground:
View attachment 455898

Layer 3 is the top traces:
View attachment 455899

Layer 2 is the green mask and soldering points so I don't show

Finally layer 1 is the components one:
View attachment 455900

Hope this help you
These images are excellent, they will certainly help, but I was a little confused about dat0. In layers 3 and 4 it does not appear in these images? I still have a little doubt which way the APU track of layer 3 is to reconnect dat0

jkyoho

Trophies
Website
form.jotform.com
XP
Country
Canada
impeeza count layers based on the balika site, so layer5 is the "layer3" we usually talked about.

Based on https://balika011.hu/switch/OLED site

Layer1 --- components layer Layer2 -- green solder mask coat Layer3-- ground layer(1st layer ground) Layer4 -- ground layer(2nd ground) Layer5 -- dat0 trace layer(trace+via) layer6-- ground layer(dat0 via minor shift downward/south) - --(etc)

Last edited by jkyoho,
Reactions: BigOnYa and loro

loro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
impeeza count layers based on the balika site, so layer5 is the "layer3" we usually talked about.

Based on https://balika011.hu/switch/OLED site

Layer1 --- components layer Layer2 -- green solder mask coat Layer3-- ground layer(1st layer ground) Layer4 -- ground layer(2nd ground) Layer5 -- dat0 trace layer(trace+via) layer6-- ground layer(dat0 via minor shift downward/south) - --(etc)
Just what I needed. It's much clearer now. I feel a bit more confident that it can be fixed. Thanks again. I'll be back soon with updates!
Post automatically merged:

The layers I give are at the other side of the flash chip, the others layers are needed for your repair?
No, I only need layer 3 (or layer 5 haha). I appreciate you sending me these images, they gave me much more clarity on where I should go next.

• Love
Reactions: impeeza and BigOnYa

loro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello again, everyone!

I'm here to ask for your help again. I was only able to work on the Switch again today to try to fix the DAT0 connection.

I removed as much UV mask as I could from the area to redo the connection, but as soon as I removed the layers I came across this little copper and decided to measure it to see if it was the connection to the CPU that I was looking for. Imagine finding an open line measurement, but I found some rather strange measurements and I'm afraid to make the jumper. The measurements are as follows:

DAT0 point (in red in the image) - 0.547V
Point ? (in white in the image) - 0.597V

*Measurements taken with the red tip grounded*

Despite the small space, I was able to measure between the points and the measurement starts low, around 0.500V and quickly rises to 1. on the multimeter, I believe it is outside the range that my multimeter can measure or it is an open line.

I'm worried about doing the jumper and it being the wrong trail. Is there any way I can confirm this or do you know if these measurements are correct?

1726338221726.png

1726338228066.png

Post automatically merged:

Just updating, even if I wanted to make this jumper, unfortunately it was not possible. It is a very small area and almost impossible to solder a wire (even though I bought a 0.1mm one). I appreciate the attempts to help in this post and now I will sell the parts to reduce the loss.

Last edited by loro,
  • Wow
Reactions: impeeza

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Warm balls in the winter +2