Super Mario Bros. Wonder is a new 2D Mario game

Mario returns to his 2D roots, but not in the New Super style we've gotten accustomed to. Super Mario Bros. Wonder has all sorts of things going on. Every time you touch a Wonder flower, things get trippy and the level design changes. There's old enemies and new, with playable Mario, Luigi, Toad, Peach, and Daisy. Yoshi is there too. There's new power ups, and all sorts of different mechanics that we've never seen in a 2D Mario game before. Mario also can turn into an elephant as well, with another new power up. Super Mario Bros. Wonder launches October 20th.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now this is what the NSMB series should have evolved into years ago. Ah well, just excited to see this kind of step forward for the 2D iterations, even if it is long overdue.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm mixed on the art style. I love the wacky, off the wall design. But the actual level geometry still reminds me a lot of the New series. I was honestly hoping for a much bigger deviation in art style. I think if it was fully 3D it would help.

I love Mario's character model and animations though.

I may be biased but I think Sonic Superstars looks better than this.

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love Mario's character model and animations though.

I may be biased but I think Sonic Superstars looks better than this.
both of the games managed to perfectly match that sort of 2d animated energy in 3D. in general the 2020s seem to have a much better, more lively take on 3D animation than years before.

Both of these games look incredibly lively and wonderful. Nice to know that i'll only have to spend my money on one (sorry tendo but i don't use my Switch much these days)

Doran754

Conform comrades
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Honestly this just looked too weird to me. It's Mario on crack, I'll wait for reviews, didn't appeal to me though unfortunately.

Reactions: Axido

dmace81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish they would of brought back Wart with a return of the old enemies in Subcon as a sequel to the North America's Super Mario Bros. 2 on the NES. Even make some parts of the levels kind of scary with the Phanto returning as well. Call it Super Mario Dreams or something. Im just tired of the same old rehash of Bowser in the 2d games.

Ettino

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo devs and Miyamoto clearly been smoking pot or mushroom (pun intended) while brainstorming a new Mario game.

HRudyPlayZ

Developer, Gamer and Power User.
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Meh i don't like the new style that's for sure. The issue is that all characters are looking at the camera in a weird way.
I also don't like the texture on blocks, it looks blurry i hope it won't be in the final release. In the same vein, many of the elements look out of place, like pipes being flat without texture, etc almost like they were added in photoshop.
Tiny mario looks like he went under a compressor or something. The UI font doesn't fit much with the rest of the aesthetics, it would be better suited for a Mini-mario vs Donkey Kong game i think.
The rest is fine, they just need to be more rotated so they actually look where they're going and not at the full opposite.

About the gameplay, we'll see when it releases, some levels do look interesting for sure, some look a bit too much like Mario on LSD or something.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/offbeat/twitch-streamer-places-24000-hit-on-youtuber-after-stellar...