Super Mario Bros. Wonder Direct - live coverage

Nintendo is here to showcase a look at Super Mario Bros. Wonder. Check out what's in store for the game in this 15-minute Direct that promises to show off some new gameplay aspects. We'll be rounding up the Direct as it airs, at 7am PT, so stay tuned.

This game takes place in the Flower Kingdom. Prince Florian is the leader of this new place. Bowser uses the Wonder Flower to merge with the entirety of Florian's castle.

There's six worlds, and seven areas. There's a rock area, snow area, sewer area, underwater area, a forest, lava, and desert levels. You can walk freely through the map, and play the levels in any order you want.

Luigi, Peach, Daisy, two different Toads, and Toadette all play the same. Yoshi and Nabbit are the easy mode characters.

Hoppycats are enemies that copy your movements. There are melon Pirhanna Plants that shoot seeds at you. Goombas, Boos, and Koopas are also in the game.

New power ups include Elephant form, where you can use your trunk to break blocks, dash through gaps, and store water to spray. Every character has this form.

Bubble Mario can blow bubbles at enemies to trap them.

Drill Mario can attack enemies by jumping into them from below. You can drill underground or into the ceiling and get through levels that way.

Fire Flowers are back, too. You can store or swap an extra power up at any time.

Wonder Flowers, when found, cause weird effects to the level. Mario might become a Gooma, turn into a balloon, or the level's perspective might change.

There are badges to collect that change the gameplay when equipped. These can give you a parachute cap, or give you a better wall jump, make you swim faster underwater, let you shoot vines, become invisible, give you more coins, and more. You get them by clearing challenge courses or purchasing them with Flower Coins.

The game supports 4-player local co-op. If you die, you turn into ghost, but can be revived by another player jumping into you. Yoshi's can ride Yoshi's, too.

Online play exists in the form of live player ghosts. You're not playing together directly, but you can see them in your level.

You can however race courses online with a friend.

There's going to be a new Switch OLED to go with it, fully red dock and Joy-Cons.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Didn't the smash bros one literally just have 2 lines over it?
The only one I know of is this one

81v1f0v2WiL.jpg

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game looks funny and cool to play, but hooo boi that OLED Switch design is SOOO lazy lol
Maybe some prefer such minimal design, with a design that's not even on front of the dock or seemly not even on the console itself, but it is a weird choice, when this game is meant to be wacky. As far as I can tell, there is no red console or Mario, so they seem like they just wanted to do both.

Elephant Peach and Daisy are real.

View attachment 391368View attachment 391369

I am so fucking scared.
They're here and there! Elephants on parade!

I was like, "are they going make Daisy orange?", only for them not to show her right afterwards. Lol

To be fair, that is what Yoshi looked like in old artwork when he had something in his mouth or swallowing something:

View attachment 391377
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island's Island

Though I agree it does look pretty weird in 3D lmao
Looks no better in 2D. Lol

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
I still stand by this looking like the NSMB series with better lighting. Not to say it looks bad, I just would have liked a bigger change in art style.

The only thing I don't like about the art style I'd thay it looks off. I like the 3d models that the nsmb games have but it looks like this one is sprites again? I don't know.

Tranquilmonia

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The badge and online features look really fun. I was expecting, however, each character to add something unique to the gameplay, and not for it to be Mario=Luigi=Peach=Daisy=Toad (Normal) and Yoshi=Nabbit (Easy). I guess the incentive to use badges and the "Wonder" sections of each stage will give the game the extra difficulty edge I was expecting from the variety of characters available. Thank you friends.

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
I called it back when it was announced that the floating Bowser fortress is actually Bowser himself.
TWO FRIENDS OWE ME 20 BUCKS NOW!

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, it is confirmed. Nintendo devs have officially lost their minds! :wacko:

I did notice the lack of Mario's voice, which was prominent in past titles. I think they're phasing it out due to Martinet retiring as voice actor, which is kind of sad - however, I'm not sure that was Martinet...? Listen close and tell me if Mario sounds different to you, or if I'm making this stuff up in my head.

I also do not particularly like the new character designs. They can pass on this one in future titles.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Looking forward to this one. Was just talking to somebody about how I wish the 2D Mario games gave you a reason to collect coins. Shops selling badges and the like are a welcome addition. I really do think New Super Mario Bros 2 could've been great if they actually let you do something with the coins.

I'd love to see the series move to have sets of challenges too akin to Sonic Adventure 2's replayability, but that might be setting the bar too high for Nintendo lol. It just feels like they have these really mechanically-sound games and all they ever want you to do is go from point A to point B. There's so much untapped potential, and I really don't think they'll ever realise it.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This game actually looks original, creative, and unique unlike the "New" series which was milked to death.

Mario's voice in this game sounds similar to Martinet so I'm wondering who it is. :)
Post automatically merged:

There's going to be a new Switch OLED to go with it, fully red dock and Joy-Cons.
The Switch successor will probably be released by 2024/2025, but it's Nintendo so I'll sell regardless.

Reactions: Vorde

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone else sick of 2D Mario at this point?
Not if it's done right and Wonder easily looks to become one of the best 2D Mario games.

Plus, the Switch didn't have its own 2D Mario game before, unless you include NSMBU. NSMBU was a good game, but it's time they let the "New" series die already.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto