Spoofing the BCAT system?

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
It's been somewhat done with BOSS, but has anyone tried to spoof the BCAT system on a modded Switch? This could allow for things such as custom Splatfest data being sent, custom articles for the News applet, and I think spoofing ninjis in SMM2 (but that's already done by OCW).

Reactions: Starwarsfan2099

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Please translate in readable english for the layman :)
BOSS? BACT? Splatfest data? ninjis? OCW?
BCAT is the system that Nintendo uses to transmit game/miscellaneous data to your console without the need to update or download anything. This system is used for example for delivering articles to the News applet, or for triggering certain seasonal events in your Animal Crossing NH save.
BOSS is kinda the same as BCAT, but older and used for 3DS/Wii U instead. BOSS is mostly called SpotPass by Nintendo.

Splatfest data - the data your console receives via BCAT to trigger splatfest related things (the news broadcasts, the pre-splatfest and splatfest plaza, etc.).

Ninjis - Ninji Speedruns, events done in Mario Maker 2 by Nintendo - again delivered via BCAT (not sure with that one)

OCW - Open Course World, an alternate server used on modded consoles and Ryujinx mainly to store and archive courses that Nintendo doesn't like (trolls, glitch levels, etc.) and to provide continued support for the game when Nintendo shuts down online services.

Reactions: Starwarsfan2099

ack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but the layman reads (since it's a public community) and may at somepoint be interested. Don't be a jerk please.
the layman also often goes too deep without a good foundation of knowledge and installs a prototype wii system menu and bricks their wii and then wastes everyone's time trying to fix it

Reactions: loser_monkey

loser_monkey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you find out how the files work (game's BCAT files), then you can change the data (for a folder ->) and then edit the `files.meta` file (for that folder) to work with the files that you changed (or added).
There is this one post on someone made about Animal Crossing BCAT save and how to make edited BCAT save work:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/acnh-bcat-forging.564556/
It included an image for what the data in `files.meta` file meant too: upload_2020-5-7_11-19-58-png.208092

iirc they edited the data (it was xml or yml or something like that) -> changed/fixed files.meta to work with changes -> restored (probably using JKSV to dump and restore).
idk about the data in the root thing (na_required, list.msgpack (it has the file links and stuff like that)). Idk what happens if passphrase.bin is changed, but if it is deleted then the next time the game is launched it will regenerate. It always regenerates with the same data (I think) and I think its different for each console.

Note:
dot_ File size limit thing (total) = 60MB
the game reads the stuff like this: `directories/folder/files/file.file` -> `folder/file.file`. You can't have 2 folders (game reads example: `folder1/folder2/file.file` will not work)

I probably wouldn't try it while connected to the internet (Nintendo's servers and stuff like that). I would also backup the BCAT save so it can be restored after the testing is done so the BCAT server doesn't get confused and stuff like that idk.

Reactions: Ondrashek06

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://m.imdb.com/title/tt32379128/ Pirates!