Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft all agree to require a disclosure of lootbox odds for future games

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Aug 7, 2019.

Front-page
    consolelogos-770x470.

After becoming the subject of controversy last week, the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) is attempting to win back favor with the industry with the announcement of a new regulation policy that will affect all games on all three major console platforms. Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft will now be required to disclose the odds of paid microtransaction lootbox drops for future games releasing on their systems. Other publishers have also agreed to the new policy, such as Activision Blizzard, Bandai Namco, Bethesda, Bungie, Electronic Arts, Take-Two, Ubisoft, W.B. Interactive, and Wizards of the Coast. All of the aforementioned companies must adhere to disclosing the probability of all their lootboxes by the end of 2020. Any new game, or any update that adds in-game purchases will now have to allow for players to see the percentage of rare item drops when opening a lootbox with real-world currency.

:arrow: Source

Discussion (89 replies)
  1. Flame

Flame Me > You

GBAtemp Patron
    Flame is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2008
    E.A. motto is "Loot boxes are just surprise mechanics"

My motto is almost the same "its not piracy why i pirate EA games, its surprise ownership"

Last edited by Flame, Aug 7, 2019
  2. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I'd only ever purchase a lootbox if ther was a national lootbox day

3. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    ESA? Lol, that's cute, why should anyone trust those effing morons after what happened with the so-called "accidental" doxxing? Damage control.

Rommstain, THYPLEX, DjoeN and 3 others like this.
  4. RedoLane

RedoLane GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 16, 2016
    Israel
    score 1 for the big three!

Last edited by RedoLane, Aug 7, 2019
  5. SexySpai

SexySpai xdddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Jun 16, 2018
    United States
    your mom lol
    "It's not gambling, it's a surprise mechanic"

It's not murder, it's a surprise death

Tiger21820, hurrz, Ricken and 11 others like this.
  6. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Maniac

May 11, 2017
    United States
    What the big three doxxed someone?

7. Techjunky90

Techjunky90 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    Loot boxes need to be banned world wide. Another thing that needs to happen in the gaming community is game developers/publishers should get fined thousands of dollars when they release broken games (Bethesda Fallout76 for example). There needs to be consumer protection.

weatMod, IcedOutBart and jalaneme like this.
  8. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Can we just have separate purchase options for items listed inside lootboxes?

Feeling lucky? Here is a low cost loot box

Not feeling lucky? here is a expensive single purchase.

PROBLEM SOLVED. :ph34r:

9. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    No big openworld game can be perfect just read the reviews before buying - fining them wil just make it harder as theyl hav less money to hire better programmers

CallmeBerto likes this.
  10. Enryx25

Enryx25 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 25, 2016
    Italy
    Lootboxes are fine for free mobile games.
    I don't expect this shit in a 60$ pc/console game.

hurrz, naughty_cat, jesus96 and 7 others like this.
  11. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    The ESA (the ones who are in charge of the industry, and therefore created this new measure) accidentally left a plain text file full of the personal information of 2000+ people on their website for months.

Ricken, JadeKitsune, Victorum and 5 others like this.
  12. warweeny

warweeny GBAtemp Regular

Apr 25, 2011
    Netherlands
    The % based stuff on lootboxes has already been here for well over a year now, not sure why this is suddenly "news"?
    If s/m/n needed to put it on the boxes, that would be progress, this is just old news.

13. ZurvivorZ

ZurvivorZ Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Only EA game I haven't pirated in recent memory is Titanfall 2. Respawn deserve every penny I paid for that amazing game, and the about 20 other copies I bought after finding pyramids of the things in my local bargain bin.

14. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Netti Netti

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Where my feet lie on the ground
    So you're saying every game from them had lootbox odds disclosed?

15. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    No but there was an E3 dox, that was "accidental" where over 2000 peoples' information was leaked. The ESA "apologized" for the leak.

16. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    They're implementing this bullshit so that goverments will back off and they can keep doing these shady things leeching off kids and the weak minded. Fuck EA, Bethesda, Ubisoft and all those big companies.

17. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    Well, it seems they're here to stay. The only way to fix this is to educate the consumer... But... They don't care.

18. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Although lootboxes are a complete non-issue, it is a bit weird this isn't completely mandatory for anyone selling random chance things. Considering gachas have been REQUIRED to disclose rates for ages.

Well now they're even less of an issue, nice. You know exactly what you're getting into now in terms of odds.

If devs could be falsely fined because some youtubers got mad a game didn't have NPCs (Bethesda Fallout76 for example), we'd be pretty fucked.
    Aside from some launcher jank, Fallout 76 was basically just a very good multiplayer Fallout 4.
    The only people dumb enough to cry about it are people who don't have the braincells to form their own opinion and instead blindly listen to others, who also likely just echoed the opinion from a single streamer or outrage youtuber.
    In recent history the only games that were a monumental technical failure have been Mass Effect Andromeda and Anthem.

Also loot boxes are fine. Only dipshit old people in government have any real issue with them because they don't understand anything. Loot boxes are never a big issue, and as a consumer people are free to not buy them if they don't wish to. People wouldn't have even half as much of an issue with lootboxes if they weren't specifically told to by outrage media that generate views by suckering in gullible idiots who just want a new reason to be upset.

filfat, Ricken, DarthDub and 2 others like this.
  19. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Not really, not in my Country atleast so good riddance and pretty sure other countries are gonna follow and i think some already did

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Eum most people that didn't like fallout 76 just don't like fallout 76. I bought it after people constantly shouting it was bad on youtube to give it a fair chance and well it just sucks and is clearly only made to be a cash cow machine

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted