Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft all agree to require a disclosure of lootbox odds for future games

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Chrisssj2

Chrisssj2 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 12, 2008
    Netherlands
    Sorry but how do we know even if the odds displayed are true... any critical thinking going on here?

Ryccardo likes this.
  2. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Netti Netti

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Where my feet lie on the ground
    If you mean technically how, the lootbox is coded by % chance I assume, so just publish that info. Rocket league did it last year iirc.

If you mean faking it, doing so would be risky and I don't think a company would take such a risk, but then EA on the other hand...

3. Chrisssj2

Feb 12, 2008
    Netherlands
    Well lets say company claims 5% drop rate but in actuallity it is 3% or whatever.
    Or whatever differeince. Humongous or not. How would we be able to tell the diffrence.. RNG = RNG.

4. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    As soon as you think Yr getting mugged then stop:D

5. NoNAND

NoNAND GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 22, 2015
    Albania
    The other plane of existence
    Lootboxes
    thankfully I play single plaer offline game, so they haven't affected Mt gaming experience that much.
    But I'd wish they never existed still.

GbaNober and Zaybokk like this.
  6. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Netti Netti

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Good point. The only accurate way to tell is to look at the coding, but I have no idea how these things are coded, so I assume you just write a line saying "x should be 5/100".

For example Zelda Botw and the amiibo drop rates were datamined, so you know it's accurate. So I assume datamining is the only way for a gamer to truly know.

7. HRudyPlayZ

HRudyPlayZ GBAtemp Regular

Dec 29, 2016
    France
    Microtransactions as a all should just be banned everywhere...

They just ruin your experience by putting big buttons to buy shit...

Also, my moral recommend me to pirate every game with microtransactions, i would recommend everyone to do the same, as those companies don't deserve our money with shit like this...

8. Chrisssj2

Feb 12, 2008
    Netherlands
    They could even implement fake code. to make you think the drop rates are something, that they are not. Thin foil hat.

9. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Netti Netti

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    At that point it's just scamming with extra steps. But keep your hat on haha.

10. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Rest Yr brain and forget lootboxes exist

Tri-Z and Jiehfeng like this.
  11. Chrisssj2

Feb 12, 2008
    Netherlands
    Yup. I did. I will never play a single mobile game again.

12. Johnton

Johnton GBAtemp Regular

Jun 10, 2018
    Mexico
    The F*** is a lootbox?

Ricken likes this.
  13. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Can't lose if you don't play but I don't have any particular objection to this development. Fairly transparent "we'll self regulate before someone regulates us" behaviour but you expect such things.

For stuff like Las Vegas then the code for the machines gets made available to the authorities. There are also ways to tell*, though that would involve either a journalist doing some actual research or someone like those which do https://towardsdatascience.com/tagged/gaming having go at things.

*5% and 3% are both low percentage differences that a few tests will not tell. However probability still holds and you could estimate payout rates and what they should be. Various people do this for more general gambling websites and games.

Jiehfeng and CallmeBerto like this.
  14. Draxikor

Draxikor Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2019
    Mexico
    I have a dream when those 3 companies forget about DLC, microtransactions etc. And return to the time when they make full games since day one and if they got ideas they couldnt insert in the same they make a sequel with those ideas.

15. Enryx25

Enryx25 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 25, 2016
    Italy
    No Nintendo First Party has microtransations.

16. Chrisssj2

Feb 12, 2008
    Netherlands
    Well "authorities" deepstate.. and if you believe in independent institutions and journalists...*Shruggs*

17. DarkCoffe64

DarkCoffe64 Bo

Mar 30, 2011
    Italy
    Arcadia
    Lootboxes will need to have their odds avaiable to the public
    but doesn't mean them triple ay companies have to tell the truth

Chrisssj2 likes this.
  18. diggeloid

diggeloid Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2019
    United States
    gbatemp.net
    This isn't unexpected considering these three companies are not the ones pushing lootboxes into games. Still, I worry that this will be counter-productive in preventing lootboxes. The odds of winning a scratch-off lottery are also printed on all tickets, yet that doesn't stop people from buying them. This will just give lobbyists ammo to push back against further regulation since they already technically did something about it.

19. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    The ESA needs to be made to answer for the 2000(+) lives it endangered with such an incompetent storage of sensitive information.

Chary likes this.
  20. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Don't worry, they emailed me a generic apology letter that wasn't very sorry. So it's all okay now. :glare:

(they even straight up lied saying the document was password protected when it wasn't but whatever i guess)

Warning: Spoilers inside!