Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft all agree to require a disclosure of lootbox odds for future games

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Aug 7, 2019.

1. DarkKaine

DarkKaine GBAtemp Fan

Dec 1, 2014
    Netherlands
    A decent company would, after a fair amount of social media backlash, opt to completely remove this kind of shit and gain money through actual expansions that people are more than happy to pay for and issue a public apology.
    A shitty company would try and find loopholes in laws just so they can keep selling you their fucking crap, or release a good game without microtransactions and after they get good reviews they'll be added anyway.
    Publishers can be considered villains at this point.
    Seriously, modern gaming is shite. If it wasn't for the occasional good game and indie developers I would have walked out on this hobby a long time ago..

Draxikor likes this.
  2. DBlaze

DBlaze I don't know what i'm doing.

Nov 15, 2006
    Netherlands
    Scapegoat mechanism with 0 meaning in the hopes everyone else will shut up about loot boxes.

Bladexdsl likes this.
  3. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    hope u support other devs like CDprojekt?? if not ur a bad guy :teach:

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    What if CDprojekt are bad people? I mean I see on many game media sites they have both long hours and put their virtual characters into ghettos sometimes.

What are benefits? Better camo? Different optics? Different weapons that still do the same effective damage? Stuff that skips hours of grind?
    We could probably agree on stuff where stuff is overpowered (pay to win being the usual term) but if I know I am playing against a normal player rather than a paid up one then they have few strategies to employ.

5. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    The ESA had an unencrypted spreadsheet featuring the personal information of all the game journalists attending E3. Included were names, home addresses, email addresses, and I believe phone numbers as well. This was literally an unencrypted plaintext document that was on an unencrypted server.

MythicalData likes this.
  6. 71r3n

71r3n GBAtemp Regular

Sep 24, 2011
    Germany
    Just had a short laughter, when i saw ubisoft an E.A. on that list... xD

7. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    invasive loot boxes are Cancer of gamindustry, but when last time did u see any loot boxes in humble CDprojekt 's games?

8. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    what a fucking joke they can't just get rid of their precious micro transaction can they? it's not good enough to get your $ from buying a game these days they have to wring every fucking cent possible out of you. even nintendo has jumped on the bandwagon with that garbage piece of shit dr mario mobile TRASH. gaming sure has fallen far from the greatness it used to be... :glare:

Last edited by Bladexdsl, Aug 8, 2019
    Draxikor likes this.
  9. Enryx25

Enryx25 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 25, 2016
    Italy
    Dr.Mario is free

10. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    I think the quote says it quite well. As long as it does not benefit you, its totally ok. For example, Overwatch.

11. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    yeah free for what 10 minutes than you run out of energy and can't play. stop defending your precious nintendo! :lol:

12. Rommstain

Rommstain Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 16, 2006
    Ukraine
    Small note: It wasn't just game journalists, but also content creators and streamers.

13. RedLuigi7890

RedLuigi7890 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2019
    United States
    Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft: Finally! Now video game companies will no longer make gamers gamble!

EA: Observe.

14. tiamat999

tiamat999 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 28, 2013
    United States
    Now can these 3 work on a simple refund policy for digital downloads

15. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I can't think of reason why you would refund a game so you tell why

16. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Lack of demo or the demo lies about the final deal.
    Turns out your internet connection is not up to the task.
    In most other places you can return resaleable goods. Being bits you have all kinds of hashes for then you can be sure the item can be resold just fine to someone else.
    Combo of the previous two in the case of multiplayer.
    Game makes you sick to play it.
    For PC games you have the it won't ultimately work with the hardware as listed specs are a work of fiction.
    Some tell me that having to buy it from a different shop is such an egregious failing that it demands return of invested monies. Don't see it myself here (functionally the same machine, minor software tweak aside, and all that) but ideas of failing to deliver on promises are also an option. I found the mass effect 3 ending stuff to be a bad plan but if it made it to class action status.
    Turns out the company is fond of reselling data and you don't care for that.
    This could go on for a while.

Personally I would much rather have the ability to resell games and lend as I see fit but refunds are a nice step along the way.

17. DANTENDO

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Loads of pathetic excuses ther especially the sick one thts laughable :lol:

18. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    So if one gets a VR game and the people coded it badly thus making the whole seasickness thing kick off then one is supposed to wear it and chalk it up to experience?

19. DANTENDO

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Put it this way if it doesn't make at least 1 person sick then thers nothing wrong with it - buy another vr game and if keep getting a sickie feeling then vr isn't for tht person

20. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    There is a spectrum of these things. Some people can do full motion at 30fps. Others have other requirements (the blanking the vision while turning being a good one) but still find themselves able to play some games. For gameplay or stylistic reasons a dev might have opted to do something that makes a given person sick but not others, even despite nominally being the same style of game.

This is getting somewhat besides the point though. Why would computer games not offer a refund policy? Plenty of other things offer return policies (maybe even by law), and in this case no money is likely to have left the seller's account for the publisher/dev, the bandwidth for the download is likely immaterial to the seller, and as the product is literally bits and bytes then it is not like it can't be resold perfectly fine to another party if somehow that distinction gets to be made.