Sono releases TWL patcher with DS(i) Widescreen support

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by RattletraPM, Aug 12, 2019.

Front-page
    IMG_20190726_205522_525_resized.

Shortly after @Sono released TWPatch, work started on a few other possible modifications for the 3DS's TWL_FIRM, aka the DS/DSi mode firmware. One of those in particular caught several people's attention: the widescreen patch, which allows you to play DS games in 16:10 resolution instead of the usual 4:3. Support for it was added in @Robz8's TWiLight Menu ++ since version 9.0.0, however, it couldn't be enabled properly as the new patcher wasn't out at the time. This all changed not too long ago though, as @Sono shared a preliminary TWL patcher with widescreen support for everyone to enjoy!

Unlike the first, this one comes as a standard Windows command-line application and its usage can be a little tricky for inexperienced users: you will first have to extract TWL_FIRM's exefs.bin using GodMode9, then run the program with your desired arguments and copy the output CXI to the correct location on your microSD card. Luckily, detailed step-by-step tutorials have already been posted, so don't panic! The patcher's usage and functions can be found its original post, while a guide specific to TWiLight Menu ++ has been added to its official GBAtemp thread (both linked in the sources).

Staying on topic, TWiLight Menu ++ has also just received an update, adding widescreen support for many more games! There are over 200 titles supported to date and the full list can be read below:
    If you want to try this yourself, be sure to read all the documentation before attempting any part of the procedure. You will need to enable some game-specific cheat codes to play in proper widescreen if you don't want to use TWiLight Menu ++ (the latter has them built-in already and will automatically toggle them as needed). If you're having issues with TWiLight Menu ++ double-check that both the app and nds-bootstrap are up-to-date, that you followed the tutorial in the thread correctly and whether you're using a good unmodified dump of a compatible game (if the screen still appears stretched, try creating a blank wideCheatData.bin in <sdcard>:\_nds\nds-bootstrap).

:arrow: Source 1 (Sono's TWL Patcher)
    :arrow: Source 2 (TWiLight Menu ++)

Discussion (55 replies)
  1. MarkDarkness

MarkDarkness Deliverator

GBAtemp Patron
    MarkDarkness is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 17, 2009
    Poland
    Interesting to see these developments at this point of the DS brand lifecycle... always good to see the scene advance.

Humanity, samhhhhh, bomigoton and 7 others like this.
  2. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Netti Netti

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Where my feet lie on the ground
    Go Sono! :D
    Also I haven't been keeping up with the 3DS scene for quite some time now. Is it now possible to play DS games installed to the menu and run at full speed, not using a flashcart? If so I might want to try this out on that. :)

samhhhhh, Bst22322, Hmed and 2 others like this.
  3. Sono

Sono The MCU Deity

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    Austro-Hungarian Monarchy
    It isn't >_> This is just an intermediate debug exe I use to analyze the patched binary without having to FTP the data back and forth the 3DS. This exe is NOT supposed to be public at all, I just got fed up with the wait for a better weather and decided to release the debug exe so nobody would have to muck around with HxD scanning a 1.6Meg file MANUALLY for BIT patterns.

The second patcher will be released as soon as the weather calms down and I can do the GUI rewrite.

jesus96, mondul, flamerds and 6 others like this.
  4. RattletraPM
    OP

RattletraPM GBATemp's official 蒸気イーブイ

pip Reporter
    Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Shinjuku Station
    Alright then, I just assumed as that's what it had been called around. Want me to edit the title to something else?

Hmed likes this.
  5. Sono

Sono The MCU Deity

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    Nah, the title is accurate (sort of, the patcher also includes AGB_FIRM support for a retarded widescreen support fully stretched to 400x240). It's just that this isn't the second patcher, this is just a patch tester exe to analyze FAST if I broke a patch.

Edit: thanks for the edit! You worded the edit really great :rofl2:

Last edited by Sono, Aug 12, 2019
    Hmed, Robz8 and RattletraPM like this.
  6. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    Nifty, nice work Sono

Will have to try this out later :)

Hmed likes this.
  7. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    Nice!

Reminds me of the widescreen hacks for PS2.

Robz8, Hmed, 98otiss and 2 others like this.
  8. RattletraPM
    OP

RattletraPM GBATemp's official 蒸気イーブイ

pip Reporter
    Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Shinjuku Station
    Okay, I quickly edited the article to reflect that then. I hope that didn't cause any issues ^^"

Sono likes this.
  9. Upaluppa

Upaluppa Wrote in ancient letters, my name is Reynardine

Aug 14, 2018
    Germany
    Gehrmahnee
    Oh yes, today's a good day! I haven't had the time to try it yet, but I will this evening! Can't wait to finally play ol' Mario 64 in widescreen with the 3DS analog nub!

Thank you for your hard work, Sono! ^_^

Last edited by Upaluppa, Aug 12, 2019
    Humanity and Hmed like this.
  10. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Bullet Hell
    Playing stuff in the wrong aspect ratio should be a criminal offence :rofl: lol
    How long before the "vertical video" mode is implemented? :rofl2:

Seriously though - impressive work, regardless of my stance on correct AR.

Robz8 and Sakitoshi like this.
  11. Sono

Sono The MCU Deity

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    I already did that once by accident, but it's cursed. It's not possible to get a good image because the image is transferred 8 lines at a time, and the GPU can only draw tiled output.

12. Raylight

Raylight Paranoid Temper

May 10, 2014
    United States
    Who wants to know?
    will the next TWLPatcher do the widescreen patch automaticly instead of the manual work?

13. Sono

Sono The MCU Deity

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    Well obviousy, it already can, it's just inaccessible due to no GUI associated to it. Same with CTR_Redshift, except that's the earliest patch.

Upaluppa and Raylight like this.
  14. aykay55

aykay55 Professional Idiot

Apr 14, 2017
    United States
    Where the buffalo roam.
    Am I the only one who read it as “Sonic releases...” :rofl2:

15. CeeDee

CeeDee Doing The Best I Can

GBAtemp Patron
    CeeDee is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 4, 2014
    United States
    I can't tell well enough from the screenshot, is this just stretching, or is it hacks that display it full screen without stretching it out?

16. Dartz150

Dartz150 GBATemp's Official Onii-chan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    @Sono you must feel so flattened haha, congratulations again!

Yep, the second thing you said, but the game has to be supported, or better said, have a cheat made and enabled to modify the aspect ratio correctly, is something similar as the widescreen cheats that the PS2 has.

Last edited by Dartz150, Aug 12, 2019
    ar4757 and CeeDee like this.
  17. Sono

Sono The MCU Deity

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    Sadly it's anamorphic, AND stretching because it's not possible to change the DS "GPU"'s output resolution to anything higher than 256x192 :/

18. Vague Rant

Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Aug 7, 2008
    Melbourne
    I'd argue that, once the widescreen hacks for 200+ games are factored in, these aren't being played in the "wrong" aspect ratio so much as "an aspect ratio that wasn't intended by the developers". Given that we're on a community centered around hacking and homebrew, we do lots of things that aren't the way the developers intended. :D

JustANoob;), Robz8, Upaluppa and 2 others like this.
  19. Chopsuey

Chopsuey Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 18, 2017
    Gambia, The
    somewhere over the rainbow
    finally !
    I asked for that yeas ago :O