Sono releases TWL patcher with DS(i) Widescreen support

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by RattletraPM, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    That's not necessarily correct depending on the engine. By default things that are considered to be off-screen or not visible by the camera are clipped in order to reduce the load, you don't have to bother rendering faces of objects that the user can't see anyway. If they are within the camera's view, they will be rendered correctly, but it's entirely a matter of the implementation of the camera AFAIK. As for tiles, they necessarily have to be stretched because the DS's tile system is hardware-based and very rigid. The tiles and the map are in memory, the tileset and tile map have to be loaded in order for the DS to display anything at all (unless the background is streamed, I suppose), but the DS itself doesn't have enough "room" between the main memory and the screen that it could send them to - the layers are very specific in terms of height and width.

2. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    >Sony releases TWL patcher with DS(i) Widescreen support

3. Vague Rant

Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Aug 7, 2008
    Melbourne
    @Foxi4 Yeah, I was speaking in general terms, obviously 3D games cull objects outside of the area that's expected to be on-screen, but 4:3-->16:10 is only a 20% jump, so we don't encounter much of an issue there. For our purposes, culling isn't a major concern.

4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Oh, I was merely posting an addendum to what you've said, I don't think anyone would be particularly bothered by very minor glitching at the edges of the screen in select few games if what you get in return is proper widescreen support. :)

Vague Rant likes this.
  5. Alex4nder001

Alex4nder001 Part-time thug

Jul 28, 2017
    United Kingdom
    That’s fucking amazing, I’ll definitely try it today! Although I must ask, would this work if I played games from a flashcart? In particular I have an r4i gold 3DS RTS. Shows up as qmaterial on 3DS home screen.

I wonder what comes next... maybe DS(i) games at native resolution (or even better, DSi enhanced ROMs). I seriously hope that happens soon, the 3DS hacking scene amazes me even today.

Last edited by Alex4nder001, Aug 13, 2019
  6. Vague Rant

Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Aug 7, 2008
    Melbourne
    @Alex4nder001 Replacing TwlBg with a widescreen patched one will affect how everything that runs in DS mode looks--retail cards, flash cards, DSiWare, DSi homebrew, etc. So it will stretch your DS mode stuff out to 384*240, but if you want to actually run games in widescreen (rather than stretched 4:3), you'll have to put in a bit more work. Using an app like R4CCE (R4 Cheat Code Editor) you'll need to add the widescreen cheats from the link in the first post to your usrcheat.dat file on the R4, then enable them in the flash card's menu.

7. Sono

Sono The MCU Deity

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    Austro-Hungarian Monarchy
    Only 3D data can be squished, 2D squishing is almost impossible due to the DS "GPU"'s limited support of 2D transition.

8. samhhhhh

samhhhhh GBAtemp Regular

Mar 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    YUP

most games at least

Jiehfeng likes this.
  9. Lazyt

Lazyt Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 12, 2011
    Incredible! I might buy 3ds again just for this

10. Alex4nder001

Alex4nder001 Part-time thug

Jul 28, 2017
    United Kingdom
    I've tried it, works pretty well but when I hold START/SELECT the screen gets really derped and a lot of the screen is missing.
    nds_wide.

Sono likes this.
  11. Sono

Sono The MCU Deity

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    Austro-Hungarian Monarchy
    lol, VSYnc fail... I have no idea what causes it

MKKhanzo likes this.
  12. JimPlayz912

JimPlayz912 A.K.A. UltraGamer912

Jun 9, 2018
    Greece
    Somewhere, that's for sure ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Whoa, my favourite games, now in widescreen?
    I'm in for a good time!

13. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    Sono back at it again!

14. MRJPGames

MRJPGames Pretty great guy

Aug 17, 2013
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
  15. xXPVTSnowBallXx

xXPVTSnowBallXx Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2019
    United States
    Any way to get forwarder cias to run in fullscreen?

16. Dartz150

Dartz150 GBATemp's Official Onii-chan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    You would need to put the resulting file in \luma\sysmodules, but it will stretch every game, making the games without the widescreen cheat support look stretched only.