Homebrew TWiLight Menu++ v10.0.0 released, now includes B4DS for all DLDI-enabled cards

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by RattletraPM, Oct 7, 2019.

Front-page Homebrew
    [​IMG]

If you have ever been interested in running Nintendo DS games from your 3DS or DSi without a flashcard then you may have already heard about @Robz8's open-source menu replacement, emulator frontend and backup loader called TWiLight Menu++. However, it looks like the homebrew developer wants old and obsolete flashcard owners to enjoy a piece of the action too, as a new update released just today makes the tool able to launch itself and run commercial NDS ROMs on any DLDI-capable card, even those which never supported backup loading in the first place!

You've heard that right, TWiLight Menu++ v10.0.0 bumps its included nds-bootstrap version (aka the homebrew back-end used as a loader) to 0.25.2, which now also features B4DS - a variant of the said loader able to run on flashcards as well as homebrew-only devices. The requirements are simple: all your card needs is either a built-in DLDI driver or patch (and, unless yours is very archaic, it likely has one or the other!). This means you are now able to run NDS backups even on devices such as the Datel Games 'n Music, Action Replay DS Media Edition, MAX Media Dock and other similar cards which had no backup loading support whatsoever! But it doesn't stop there: TWiLight Menu++ has been able to autoboot on some cards for a while now, however, this update can make it behave effectively like a kernel replacement, also allowing it to bypass pesky timebombs in the process. B4DS lets you change your system's default language, nds-bootstrap build and different save slots on a per-game basis too, which can prove especially useful if you own an imported DS that doesn't let you select your preferred language or if a game only lets you use one save file and you share your console with somebody else.

However, there is a catch: B4DS is still rather new and doesn't support many commercial ROMs yet. Some popular games are known to work, like Mario Party DS, Kirby Super Star Ultra, Pokèmon DP/HGSS, Mario Kart DS, Chrono Trigger and Wario Ware D.I.Y., but do not expect every game to work out of the box yet.

Not a flashcard fan? No worries. This version also comes with fixes for three games (SpongeBob's Atlantis SquarePantis, Ultimate Mortal Kombat and The World Ends With You) and widescreen improvements thanks to @Vague Rant's contributions. If you've been out of the loop, AP patches began being included since version 9.1.2 and, starting from v9.5.0, almost every AP-protected game has a built-in patch, with Kirby Mass Attack and Imagine Resort Owner being the only two exceptions.

For the curious, here is the official changelog and the list of widescreen-suppoted games:
    TWiLight Menu++ v10.0.0 changelog
    List of games with widescreen support

If you want to get TWiLight Menu++ v10.0.0 follow the instructions in the official thread linked below. Be sure to update both TWiLight Menu++ and nds-bootstrap if you had already installed an earlier version on your console!

What do you think about B4DS? Will you be using it on a piece of hardware you considered useless or long dead? Will it be able to revive old, abandoned and unsupported cards? Feel free to leave a post in this thread with your thoughts!

UPDATE: Version 10.0.1 has been released to address some issues and add extra options for flashcard autoboot users.

:arrow: Source
    :arrow: Official GBAtemp thread

Discussion (36 replies)
  1. Bullseye

Bullseye GBAtemp Fan

Feb 22, 2016
    Great to see new projects like this! Props to the developer and team!

Vorde, Red771, ry755 and 8 others like this.
  2. Zense

Zense GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 20, 2008
    Italy
    The combined effort of all these people is just incredible! The DS/DSi/3DS homebrew scene is really lucky to have all of them working together on projects like these :grog:

Tarmfot, Vorde, zxr750j and 10 others like this.
  3. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Didn't games and music have a weird way of loading ROMs? It probably didn't have patches or other necessary anti piracy features, but I remember people using it.

Megadriver94 and x65943 like this.
  4. VatoLoco

VatoLoco Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.

Jan 29, 2008
    United States
    Ya Cant Get There From Here
    Cool stuff. I'll have to try this out with my old max media dock.

Robz8 likes this.
  5. kublai

kublai GBAtemp Fan

May 29, 2008
    United States
    Yup really thankful to this group of talented people.

StrayGuitarist and Robz8 like this.
  6. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    Would like to point out that the game's SDK version doesn't matter.
    Some games will not work, regardless of the SDK version.

Tarmfot, RobXcore and StrayGuitarist like this.
  7. RattletraPM
    OP

RattletraPM GBATemp's official 蒸気イーブイ

pip Reporter
    Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Shinjuku Station
    Not that I remember of. I've had an Action Replay DS Media Edition which was basically an all-in-one ARDS with save backup functionality + Games 'n Music and, while admittedly I didn't give the homebrew part of it much use as I also had an R4DS, I only remember a few people managed to boot some commercial game demos - but that was it. If I remember correctly it was due to a hardcoded file size limit or something like that.

Gotcha, I was quoting this changelog here but I'll edit it out then!

Robz8 likes this.
  8. GalenTheGamer

GalenTheGamer Advanced Member

Newcomer
    GBAtemp Patron
    GalenTheGamer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 8, 2009
    United States
    So I have an old Gateway 3DS lying around I haven't used in over a year. Can I pick up a N3DS at a used game shop and expect it to run Twilight, DS/3DS rom backups, and do widescreen hacks, etc?

StrayGuitarist likes this.
  9. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    You can run ROM backups, but no widescreen.

StrayGuitarist likes this.
  10. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    You are not gonna want to use a gateway to run 3ds roms in 2019.

Use luma and install cia backups.

RobXcore, uyjulian, Vorde and 5 others like this.
  11. Megadriver94

Megadriver94 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 11, 2017
    United States
    Earth
    I wonder what that means for people with older versions of TWiLight Menu++ Installed (me included) What can I do now?

12. Dartz150

Dartz150 Hat Gurl Official Fan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    Under your bed
    Just update, if you are using SD card you will get better compatibility as it has been worked more time (but B4DS will reach it eventually)

13. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    Okay, it probably can't make a R4 load more than 2 gb for a micro sd Card but... yay!

14. Kwyjor

Kwyjor GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 23, 2018
    Canada
    A silly question, probably, but these wild new features don't somehow enable switching to TWL clock speed while running from a flashcard (i.e. on a system with stock firmware), do they..?

15. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    Nope.

HinaNaru Cutie likes this.
  16. Hyro-Sama

Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Oct 25, 2009
    After Earth
    My 3DS freezes when I back out of the settings. Anyone else getting this?

17. Randy95354

Randy95354 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2018
    United States
    So if you dont want to softmod your 3ds you can use a flashcard now same thing correct?

18. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    DLDI? It's been a while since I saw this acronym

19. MiiJack

MiiJack GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2016
    Madagascar
    Will a "bricked" (I'm not even sure if it's bricked) R4 Dual core SDHC from 2013 work :P?

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted