TWiLight Menu++ 9.1.2 released, now includes on-the-fly AP patches

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by RattletraPM, Aug 22, 2019.

Front-page
    [​IMG]

DS(i) mode homebrew and mods may have been in the spotlight a couple of times already, but it doesn't look like they are going to stop anytime soon. @Robz8 has stepped in with a brand new TWiLight Menu++ update, which now includes a much requested feature: on-the-fly AP patching!

A total of 100 AP patches have been bundled in version 9.1.2, including some for popular titles such as several Pokémon games, Kingdom Hearts Re-Coded & 358/2 Days and Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars. They are stored as standard IPS files located in sdcard:\_nds\TWiLightMenu\apfix\ and will be applied automatically when launching a game thanks to a new feature introduced in nds-bootstrap 0.23.0. Not only does this mean you won't have to scour the web for the appropriate patches anymore, but your ROM will also be left untouched by the whole process as everything happens on-the-fly in RAM! The full list of included patches is as follows:

Keep in mind, however, that this feature is only compatible with unmodified ROMs, so be sure to verify your dump if it doesn't appear to work for you. On the other hand, pre-AP patched ROMs will also work as usual with no extra steps needed. The AP message will be hidden for the supported games, however, a bug can still make it appear if you're using the Acekard theme: as such, it's recommended to use another one for the time being.

A few other notable features have also been added or updated, such as adding support for more games in widescreen. Here is the full changelog:
    If you want to get TWiLight Menu++ 9.1.2, follow the instructions in the official thread linked below. Be sure to update both TWiLight Menu++ and nds-bootstrap if you already had installed an earlier version on your console!

NOTE: The AP patching feature has been introduced in version 9.1.0, however, two hotfixes have been released shortly after to address some bugs. It's not recommended to keep running a pre-9.1.2 version, as you may encounter crashes or other miscellaneous issues. Thus, the article refers to the latest version instead of 9.1.0 to avoid any possible inconvenience derived from running earlier builds.

:arrow: Source
    :arrow: Official GBAtemp thread

nitrozz, Charli, Zurdonx and 28 others like this.
    Discussion (41 replies)
  1. AdenTheThird

AdenTheThird GBATemp's official Weedle fan-HAT-ic!

Apr 1, 2018
    United States
    Route 2
    Great job, @Robz8 !! Keep up the awesome work, and never quit!!

Robz8, The_Provider and alexander1970 like this.
  2. SuperDan

SuperDan Im Aware ... Im Unaware

Aug 17, 2016
    United States
    Londoner , Living In Louisiana ...
    Ive recently Hacked my 3DS XL ..with help from a buddy ! ... so im new to
    TWiLight Menu++ & i was wondering can i play hack roms using this i have many dsi NSMB hack roms ..this would be my main interest really & a few other of course .. ( sorry about the massive letters ) lol

3. NoNAND

NoNAND The missing chip

Aug 22, 2015
    Antarctica
    Heh, I take a few days off the temp and all of the exciting things seem to happen while I'm gone. First we had Widescreen patches for the old and boxy resolution of DS games, and now AP patching on the fly without doing anything extra.
    But if my memory serves me weren't all of the DS games on the wild in various ROM sites already pre-AP patched? Suppose a game has said patch already applied this won't do any harm I guess?

samhhhhh likes this.
  4. brunocar

brunocar GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 14, 2017
    Argentina
    thats amazing, at this point flashcarts are only superior in that you can use the same SD for more than a single console :P

Robz8 likes this.
  5. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    Much respect to robz and the group for keeping it going. Looking forward to updating.

GilgameshArcher and Robz8 like this.
  6. Enryx25

Enryx25 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 25, 2016
    Italy
    Ghost Trick??

7. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    Hang on, could this be used to apply other ips patches?

8. DuoForce

DuoForce GBAtemp Fan

Mar 19, 2017
    United States
    Keep up the amazing work! Currently playing through Platinum with your tool

Robz8 likes this.
  9. RattletraPM
    OP

RattletraPM GBATemp's official 蒸気イーブイ

pip Reporter
    Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Shinjuku Station
    Not really. You may find pre-patched ROMs on warez-focused sites but, for game preservation's sake, a good dump is a 1:1 copy of the game's ROM. Any kind of modification (trainers, cracktros, fixes, etc.) will immediately make it lose that status. Depending on what you want to do, it may even be better to get a good dump instead of pre-patched one (for example, you may get a checksum error if you're trying to apply a patch for a ROM hack that was originally made using a good dump as its base). So, for this reason, several sources (like no-intro sets) prefer to host or include clean ROMs instead.

...But you aren't downloading games from the internet anyway, riiiiight?

As for your other question:

Ryccardo, andreiarturo and NoNAND like this.
  10. NoNAND

NoNAND The missing chip

Aug 22, 2015
    Antarctica
    Well thanks for clarifying Rattle. Yup, most of the time I get 1:1 clean dumps, and I apply ROM hacks manually. because chances are that a pretty patched ROM hack could be outdated.
    The thing is that I didn't know that most of the ROMs are AP-patched already but I'd chose the non patched ones over the the patched ROMs.
    that's why dumping my own DS cartridges is the safest bet. I'll get a proper and clean dump, as 1:1 as it can get.

Robz8 likes this.
  11. simbin

simbin GBAtemp Fan

Jul 28, 2015
    United States
    Absolute greatness, keep it up! Can't wait for this to be completed. Thanks!

Robz8 likes this.
  12. Dartz150

Dartz150 Hat Gurl Official Fan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    Under your bed
    For those unaware (Yes, many people still does not know this) This let's you load NDS roms directly from the SD card, and there's no need for a flashcard anymore, well,except for those games that will have still some issues around, but those are being worked on for this as time goes. Congratulations!

13. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Feb 17, 2006
    Portugal
    Well, I guess I'll have to get a 3DS XL or 2DS. I feel bad for selling my 3DS, now...

14. SuperDan

SuperDan Im Aware ... Im Unaware

Aug 17, 2016
    United States
    Londoner , Living In Louisiana ...
    Does this include hacked roms at all .. I have a flashcard games are not in wide-screen... & I still have about 10 gig in my 128 gig SD card in my 3DS Xl so this seems very tempting indeed

15. Andrezin0692

Andrezin0692 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 13, 2014
    Brazil
    Ilha Solteira
    Isn't it easier to just activate AP Fix cheats in the menu? Most games have them, and it seems to work fine, using the TW++ Updater cheats database. Any cons to this?

16. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    Not all users want cheats. :P
    Plus, not all cheats, as well as AP fix ones, work.

It's much nicer to just drag the clean/dumped ROM onto the SD card, and run, without any additional steps. :P

Last edited by Robz8, Aug 23, 2019
    Ryccardo and ahezard like this.
  17. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Addict

Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    This is one of the best things on the 3DS!!!! Been using it for a long time the DS is one of my all time favorite handhelds!!! So this with mGBA makes the N3DSXL my favorite handheld console so far.

Flame likes this.
  18. yoshi_nysa

yoshi_nysa Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 6, 2007
    Poland
    Do how do i update TWL? Replace extracted files to SD?

19. NoobCycle

NoobCycle Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 22, 2019
    Indonesia
    Golden Sun: Dark Dawn still has black screen on boot...

RobXcore likes this.