1. MarioKartFan

OP MarioKartFan GBAtemp Fan

Algeria
    Last edited by MarioKartFan, Jan 29, 2021
  2. placebo_yue

placebo_yue GBAtemp Fan

Argentina
    I'll wait for a more polished release but it's great news! If anyone tests this on O3DS please report on the performance.
    This and sonic R are the few sonic games i consider 100% classic sonic and that i always like coming back to. Sonic R needs more love

Diego788 likes this.
  3. BlueFox gui

BlueFox gui SOMEONE

Brazil
    aww new 3ds only, well it's cool

The Real Jdbye likes this.
  4. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Cool that this is happening on 3ds. Also thanks for letting people know not to waste their time trying this out on a O3DS and to just use a N3DS instead since the game is software rendered.

5. Mikitok

Mikitok GBAtemp Fan

New Zealand
    clickbait change tittle for new 3ds

6. CeeDee

CeeDee art by @x65943

United States
    Seeing disappointed old 3DS fans - where's the popcorn emote when I need one?

No but seriously, nice stuff. Love that the widescreen Sonic ports are seeing more love.

Isegrim and Scott_pilgrim like this.
  7. placebo_yue

placebo_yue GBAtemp Fan

Argentina
    Is being an asshole fun for you? Nobody is crying I DEMAND YOU MAKE IT COMPATIBLE FOR O3DS!!! so shut it

Moon164 likes this.
  8. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

United States
    O3DS owners still have the option of running the original sonic cd through retroarch so everyone can still play sonic cd, win win.

Hinikah, Isegrim, Robz8 and 1 other person like this.
  9. CeeDee

CeeDee art by @x65943

United States
    found the old 3DS owner

Lilith Valentine likes this.
  10. MarioKartFan

Algeria
    There are so many places to go on the internet to antagonize people needlessly. Why bring that energy here? This is a small community with a shared interest in a great portable device. Let’s keep it a decent place.

Hinikah, Moon164, Rahkeesh and 2 others like this.
  11. placebo_yue

placebo_yue GBAtemp Fan

Argentina
    i'll ignore your further posts, thanks for showing your true colors, and farewell.

12. CeeDee

CeeDee art by @x65943

United States
    I ain't off tryin' to be too much of an asshole here or anything, but it's important to understand that not everything is gonna be able to run on the dated hardware that is an old-3DS model. That's my real point here, I understand why so many people own old models instead of new ones and I ain't mockin' those who own the old ones, moreso just trying to say that yeah, some homebrew just ain't gonna shake on the old system, especially when the 3DS scene is dying and there's a lack of interest in optimizing homebrew hard enough to run well on the old one.

13. Wavy

Wavy Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Australia
    Awesome! Still waiting for the Sonic 3 A.I.R port

Robz8 and CeeDee like this.
  14. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL
    Developer

United States
    Additionally, DS and DSi users can run the unfinished Sonic CD homebrew port by Stealth.
    It works on both a flashcard and the console's SD card.

15. Wavy

Wavy Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Australia
    Should mention that there are Sonic 1, 2, and 3 ports mode by Stealth as well

Hinikah and Robz8 like this.
  16. placebo_yue

placebo_yue GBAtemp Fan

Argentina
    is any of those complete? hell i'd only try them out of curiosity

17. CeeDee

CeeDee art by @x65943

United States
    Unfortunately, none of the DS ports were complete conversions, and to my recollection, only had the first Zone of each finished. For Sonic 1/2/3, there is an official port to the DS... albeit, simply poorly-emulated ROMs.

18. HiSaturnV

HiSaturnV Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Hey, port dev here. Had my eye on this thread and there were a few things I wanted to address. I had an old account on here before, but deleted it a while back and made a new one to respond; if there are any mods reading and this is an issue, let me know.

This said, I do plan to get the port running on O3DS hardware at some point. The main reason I suspect why the port doesn't run well on O3DS hardware is because, as brought up earlier, the game is entirely software rendered, which is pretty heavy on the CPU. I did take a look at some of the rendering code, however, and a lot of functions look like they could be implemented pretty easily with Citro2D calls. That said, I'm not overly familiar with Citro2D (the last time I was active in the 3DS scene pp2d was still a thing), so this might take a bit.

It's probably possible, however, I'd need to talk to Eukaryot about that, and I want to focus on CD for now.

You might want to remove the /tag/v1.0a from the link (I can't quote it directly because new members aren't allowed to post links); the port is at v1.15a now, which includes some fixes for the audio, as well as the special stages and frame skipping. Also, for when the release gets bumped again, it's good to not have to keep updating the link.

this is from another thread but I'm responding to it here
    I do also plan on getting the 1 and 2 decompilations running on the 3DS, as a lot of code is shared between those and CD, but for now I want to focus on getting Citro2D hardware rendering working on CD so 1 & 2 won't be stuck with software rendering as well.

Hinikah, Moon164, Zurdonx and 7 others like this.
  19. MarioKartFan

Algeria
    Done!

HiSaturnV likes this.
  20. MultipedBeatle

Newcomer

United States
    That's awesome to hear! I'm so excited to see that all come together, I know I'd take those to 100% easily.

HiSaturnV likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Released, Sonic,