Country
Mexico

Instandhaltung

I feel it. I feel the cosmos!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Still no SGB emulation, it even doesn't use the SGB rom/bios.

Just out of curiousity: If the emulator uses the SGB borders and the SGB color palette, why would it be important if it is "real" SGB emulation? Oh and the games also detect the SGB (GameYob DSi), you can see the SNES controller on games like Game&Watch Gallery. Is there a benefit of a real SGB emulator?

Last edited by Instandhaltung,

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just out of curiousity: If the emulator uses the SGB borders and the SGB color palette, why would it be important if it is "real" SGB emulation? Oh and the games also detect the SGB (GameYob DSi), you can see the SNES controller on games like Game&Watch Gallery. Is there a benefit of a real SGB emulator?

It may not make much of a difference in some games, but there are additional enhancements in a handful of Super Game Boy titles. One example: Donkey Kong '94, which adds voice. You hear "Help, help!" from Pauline as Donkey Kong drags her away in each level, rather than a high-pitched squeal. (Her voice is kind of obnoxious, though, so it's not a big loss.) Space Invaders goes that extra mile and offers a Super NES version of the game on the cartridge, which is only playable with the Super Game Boy. Of course, they released the game as a standalone Super NES cart a few years later, so once again, you're probably not missing much.

Instandhaltung

I feel it. I feel the cosmos!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It may not make much of a difference in some games, but there are additional enhancements in a handful of Super Game Boy titles. One example: Donkey Kong '94, which adds voice. You hear "Help, help!" from Pauline as Donkey Kong drags her away in each level, rather than a high-pitched squeal. (Her voice is kind of obnoxious, though, so it's not a big loss.) Space Invaders goes that extra mile and offers a Super NES version of the game on the cartridge, which is only playable with the Super Game Boy. Of course, they released the game as a standalone Super NES cart a few years later, so once again, you're probably not missing much.

Ooh I wasn't aware of aditional sound features that were used on the SGB, thanks for the info :-)

CodyMitchel2

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just noticed a graphical issue in Kirby Super Star, when you fight Dyna Blade, the background around her turns black (when she's in the background, not the foreground) when she's flying towards you. Even when you defeat her, she goes flying downwards in reverse and the background remains black when it shows the cutscene of Kirby pushing out her nest of babies. So far, I've encountered no GFX issues with Kirby's Dream Land 3 or Super Mario RPG. Just that game. I made it to Moleville in SMRPG and the 5th world in KDL3 and no GFX issues, unlike with the RetroArch one. The RetroArch one sacrifices of graphics over speed or speed over graphics. I thought SNES9X (at least on N3DS models) doesn't sacrifice either.

Last edited by CodyMitchel2,

FateForWindows

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just noticed a graphical issue in Kirby Super Star, when you fight Dyna Blade, the background around her turns black (when she's in the background, not the foreground) when she's flying towards you. Even when you defeat her, she goes flying downwards in reverse and the background remains black when it shows the cutscene of Kirby pushing out her nest of babies. So far, I've encountered no GFX issues with Kirby's Dream Land 3 or Super Mario RPG. Just that game. I made it to Moleville in SMRPG and the 5th world in KDL3 and no GFX issues, unlike with the RetroArch one.
Did you make sure to check the in-frame palette changes setting?

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
@ramzinouri Is there a download for the border you used in your screenshot available somewhere?

EDIT: Never mind, grabbed it myself using your screenshot.

EDIT2: As long as we're on the subject of borders, I think there are a couple of quality of life improvements you could make if you don't mind the presumption.
  • For games that run 239p, I think maybe you should blank out line 240 (i.e. fill it with black). Filling it with the border just looks messy most of the time; a single line isn't enough to get any meaningful information in and the last line of a border will sometimes clash horribly with the game and just look awkward. It would make more sense for borders to basically only affect the sides in these cases.
  • Along the lines of the above, perhaps you should support loading a separate border file when running 239p games. It becomes sort of impossible to make a frame around the SNES image when the 239p games break out of those frames vertically. There's not really a way to make a frame that supports both in a decent way. Technically, if this were implemented, users could do the first suggestion themselves by including a black line 240 in their border.
  • Borders are heavily dependent on the aspect ratio the user sets in the Options. The emulator should probably also be able to load different borders based on this. Of course, this would mean supporting loading dozens of different borders. I don't really have a solution to this.

Attachments

• Border.png
    Border.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 428
Last edited by Vague Rant,

FateForWindows

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
May i ask something? How long it will take for making SMario RPG fully playable? (without the skipping)
On N3DS or O3DS? I don't know what you mean by that unless you mean the constant writing to SRAM, which is easy enough to fix by setting the SRAM auto-save delay to Disabled.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1