Homebrew [SNEmulDS] Rebirth the project and update it for the last DKP

wariobar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Thanks Coto! I just tried and It doesn't work still. I have been doing some tests, I hope it helps you to find where the issue is. It looks like the problem is happening when I try to run a rom where is located at more than 1 dir level.

Using the new ARM9DLDI commit:

Loading a game from x:/snes/aladdin >> works
Loading a game from x:/test/aladdin >> works
Loading a game from x:/00_ROMS/aladdin >> doesn't work
Loading a game from x:/00_ROMS/SUPER NINTENDO/aladdin >> doesn't work (this is my current folder set up that was working until now)

In snemul.cfg I have the following:
ROMPath = 00_ROMS/SUPER NINTENDO

When I run SNEmulDS from YSMenu it goes to the above dir (00_ROMS/SUPER NINTENDO) without any problem

Last edited by wariobar,
Reactions: Coto

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Folder names should not have any whitespaces.

Also in the meantime the UI has some issues when moving between directories. For now, please set a static folder in snemul.cfg and choose the file directly without moving to other directories, that is another bug.

edit: Or you can load any file through TGDS-multiboot directly regardless of how many times you move between directories. If you get it to work that is

Last edited by Coto,

wariobar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
It is still not working even with a static folder defined in snemul.cfg, without any whitespace in the folder names and, not moving from between directories. But it is not a big deal Coto, I moved my roms to a folder called snes in the root and it is working again. No idea about TGDS-multiboot, I have to do some digging.

So finally I could see the SAVE/LOAD funtionability :) , thank you!! I know it is experimental and I saw that doesn't work consecutively, but it nice to have it.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I will fix that. Also I will disable the DIR iteration in UI, it's very annoying.

edit:
@wariobar
So I ended up tossing out the buggy UI code and used the TGDS one. But hey at least it's now functional and fixes your issues under certain directory names, also it isn't crashing anymore while file browsing should just work.

Changelog:
remove original UI code and use instead the TGDS Browser, it is a functional one but may be uglier.

https://bitbucket.org/Coto88/snemulds/commits/5bc78de18fe5f8eb6df334a395062c01f9138994

Last edited by Coto,

Doblete

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I've been testing the version that comes in twilight menu, the games work pretty bad.

Estuve probando la versión que viene en twilight menu, los juegos funcionan bastante mal.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Does anyone have a pre-compiled download of the last version from Coto?
This is the last version I worked with:

https://bitbucket.org/Coto88/SnemulDS/get/TGDS1.65.zip

I don't support SnemulDS anymore since I took other DS dev projects (videoplayer, 3D games).

Edit: Since TGDS uses Clang and emits proper NTR / TWL binaries, I can give some guidelines to port SnemulDS to TWL. If any dev wants to tackle that challenge, PM me.

Last edited by Coto,

Titney

Trophies
XP
Country
This is the last version I worked with:

https://bitbucket.org/Coto88/SnemulDS/get/TGDS1.6-Snemulds.zip

I don't support SnemulDS anymore since I took other DS dev projects (videoplayer, 3D games).

Edit: Since TGDS uses Clang and emits proper NTR / TWL binaries, I can give some guidelines to port SnemulDS to TWL. If any dev wants to tackle that challenge, PM me.

Thank you very much!

Do you happen to know the last version that doesn't force the backlight on? This one turned on the backlight on my old ds phat.

Reactions: banjo2

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Do you mean clicking the [ * ] button located at the top-right, which originally, used to shut off the User Interface screen backlight?

That little change is something I should of have taken care of, you'll have to ask another dev to do it.

Reactions: Titney and banjo2

Titney

Trophies
XP
Country
Do you mean clicking the [ * ] button located at the top-right, which originally, used to shut off the User Interface screen backlight?

That little change is something I should of have taken care of, you'll have to ask another dev to do it.
I don't think it's just an issue with snemulds, because no homebrew light controls I tried worked on the old ds phat. I usually run the phat DS with the backlight off, but this version of snemulds turned the light on (on both screens) at launch, and then the [*] button does nothing.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I don't think it's just an issue with snemulds, because no homebrew light controls I tried worked on the old ds phat. I usually run the phat DS with the backlight off, but this version of snemulds turned the light on (on both screens) at launch, and then the [*] button does nothing.

That is exactly what I was asking you. The [ * ] button actually requires a User Interface event raised in the SnemulDS GUI system. In the original SnemulDS 0.6 sources the code is there, but I removed it because it was hardcoded and duplicate of what libnds/toolchainGenericDS power management bit writes from ARM9 -> ARM7 did. I forgot to add it back.

By the way, the backlight on/off controls do exist in old DS Phat per screen, what it isn't there is the 4 backlight modes (except in Japanese DS Phat models).

Ask another dev to do that. Sorry!

Last edited by Coto,
Reactions: Titney

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Latest updates here

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is still 2 bugfixes left as some kind of EOL support, being worked on:

#1 (already fixed)

#2 (closed)

So i'll post here when these are done (actually 1 may be unfixable due to TGDS1.65 + TWL mode support, but we'll see what can be done about it) ;-)

Last edited by Coto,

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So i'll post here when these are done
Do you mean to say that you have resumed development of this old but still beloved emulator? If so, this is great news for all of us.
After Flubba's return with his new works and Wavemotion's recent projects, the always appreciated DS section will be enriched with another great contribution. 😆

Reactions: wavemotion and Coto

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
yeah, I kinda got people saying

"hey this is not working when the 2007 version works"

"TWL support!"

"keymapping!"

also the NintendoDS SDK ToolchainGenericDS is much better than what it was even in 2020 so up to this point it can pretty much fix everything that broke SnemulDS at some point..!

But no, EOL means End Of Life support, which means, I fix these last issues and that's about it for me. ;-)

NightScript

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
also the NintendoDS SDK ToolchainGenericDS is much better than what it was even in 2020 so up to this point it can pretty much fix everything that broke SnemulDS at some point..!
Off the top of your head (and I could always check for myself the git logs if its too much of a burden for you to answer), what improvements did you make beyond TWL support?

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Off the top of your head (and I could always check for myself the git logs if its too much of a burden for you to answer), what improvements did you make beyond TWL support?
- not using snemuldsx which is/was broken beyond repair, using instead original 0.6 (NOT 0.6a) sources
- new fat driver
- new toolchain
- new makefiles
- fixed APU-SPC sync issues (games'd not freeze waiting for APU activity), would make 0.5 games boot again on 0.6c
- WIFI and native Vblank hardware interrupts (using the original swi calls) (wifi had to be stripped since no room for TWL code), which uses better the NTR hardware and results in 50%+ speed gain on NTR (without speed hacks) on games that aren't mode7, using normal speed
-removing speed hacks
- fixed memory allocation issues since original malloc caused segfaults
- support for all slot-1 cards out there

Last edited by Coto,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsG-jJcrlr0