Homebrew [SNEmulDS] Rebirth the project and update it for the last DKP

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Well, so you changed the instructions and also in the case of flashcart those 2 additional files have to be copied. As for me, it is late here now, so I will try tomorrow hoping for the best. Thanks.😉
So you have time to write, but not to copy a few files? Anyway, if that doesn't work for you, you either try another loader, or you're out of luck.

;-)

• Sad
Reactions: Nikokaro

NightScript

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
- not using snemuldsx which is/was broken beyond repair, using instead original 0.6 (NOT 0.6a) sources
- new fat driver
- new toolchain
- new makefiles
- fixed APU-SPC sync issues (games'd not freeze waiting for APU activity), would make 0.5 games boot again on 0.6c
- WIFI and native Vblank hardware interrupts (using the original swi calls) (wifi had to be stripped since no room for TWL code), which uses better the NTR hardware and results in 50%+ speed gain on NTR (without speed hacks) on games that aren't mode7, using normal speed
-removing speed hacks
- fixed memory allocation issues since original malloc caused segfaults
- support for all slot-1 cards out there
Oh, I was moreso asking regarding the toolchain, but thanks for the full changelog. The speed hacks removal are actually very interesting. Great job Coto. :-)

Reactions: banjo2

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Here I am. 😁
I tried the emulator again using the new instructions and it works (on DS lite via Ace3DS+), but I have to make a small correction: when it asks to load the .arg file you have to press "B" (no). In any case, I don't see any major differences from the old version. The vast majority of english patched jrpgs (the only genre I'm interested in) don't even start or crash shortly after. But sadly I expected it.
Too bad.
Thanks anyway.

A personal (and probably unnecessary) note: it is a pity that among the snes emulators for ms-dos only this one was ported to DS: zsnes and snes9x were considerably better and more compatible, even in their DOS version.

Edit: I confirm that it also works from SD-slot of DSi via TWL++.

Last edited by Nikokaro,
Reactions: JuanMena and Coto

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
In any case, I don't see any major differences from the old version. The vast majority of english patched jrpgs (the only genre I'm interested in) don't even start or crash shortly after. But sadly I expected it.
SnemulDS compatibility list, proves this was just a proof of concept, so TBH I don't know why you posted here hoping RPG games would magically work. Anyway there most important changes was listed a few posts back so a future dev may benefit from that research.

The best compatibility was between 0.4 and 0.5 version. I remember playing an hour of BOF2 there without any kind of speedhacks in there.
IIRC 0.6a broke some things and the culprit is the SneZZI SNES CPU core which breaks quite a few things compared to the C version of SnemulDS C CPU core, also found in the usual repo, and maybe a few other games.

Last edited by Coto,
Reactions: Nikokaro

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I've fixed some SNES CPU bugs, in the SnezziDS (SnemulDS ARM SNES CPU Core), and turns out Megaman X1 is playable now!
Other games will definitely be playable. As long as these doesn't exceed 3MB. (4M + stream from disk + cross page emulation is bugged), and they don't use coprocessors.

(If you're wondering, this screenshot was taken on SnemulDS, beating chill pengüin, and keeping the legs armor when entering another stage, something not possible before, even when applying AP patch).

(Hint: needs https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?t=747 AP fix applied to CRC32 File: DED53C64)
mx1.png

Download

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've fixed some SNES CPU bugs, in the SnezziDS (SnemulDS ARM SNES CPU Core), and turns out Megaman X1 is playable now!
Other games will definitely be playable. As long as these doesn't exceed 3MB. (4M + stream from disk + cross page emulation is bugged), and they don't use coprocessors.
This unexpected update is quite a pleasant surprise. Friend, does this mean that you have regained interest in improving this emulator (what I hope) or is this just a passing intervention with no follow up? Then again, if a perfect emulation of the Sega Genesis is possible on the DS (that still unmatched jewel of the jEnesisDS) I don't see why the same cannot be true for the SNES. 😉

NightScript

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

(If you're wondering, this screenshot was taken on SnemulDS, beating chill pengüin, and keeping the legs armor when entering another stage, something not possible before, even when applying AP patch).

Download
Oh nice. More megaman is a win for a friend of mine (Kaisaan), and the entire community at large. Nice work!
Will share this over to others. This is a must see

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using the latest build, and it's kinda pathetic that SNES emulation on the DS is still this bad for even the most basic of games.

View attachment 328735

View attachment 328736
Its SNES emulation on the DS..... Nintendo needed you to buy a New 3DS to even play SNES games at all on a 3DS but then you see shit like this, so this is kinda impressive ngl, and if you wanted sad, look at N64 emulation on the PSP

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Its SNES emulation on the DS..... Nintendo needed you to buy a New 3DS to even play SNES games at all on a 3DS but then you see shit like this, so this is kinda impressive ngl, and if you wanted sad, look at N64 emulation on the PSP
To be fair, the PSP is a bit... gutless to run N64. The Vita would be better suited for decent N64 performance. But the NDS has great hardware specs to emulate SNES games, and if they'd incorporate support for slot-2 memory expansion paks, it'd be even better.

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be fair, the PSP is a bit... gutless to run N64. The Vita would be better suited for decent N64 performance. But the NDS has great hardware specs to emulate SNES games, and if they'd incorporate support for slot-2 memory expansion paks, it'd be even better.
To be fair, theres been issues that some people on the net have said about adding a slot 2 mem pak as they said "Only accessible with the ARM7 CPU" the DSi Would be better fit for the job due to its increase of ram around 4 times as much as well as doubling the clock speed. and if you still want pure DS emulating the SNES use a DSTWO PLUS. Even has GBA emulation!

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
To be fair, theres been issues that some people on the net have said about adding a slot 2 mem pak as they said "Only accessible with the ARM7 CPU" the DSi Would be better fit for the job due to its increase of ram around 4 times as much as well as doubling the clock speed. and if you still want pure DS emulating the SNES use a DSTWO PLUS. Even has GBA emulation!
I like having native GBA capabilities using a DS Lite though, it's for my GB Macro build. But I might make a GBi XL out of my spare DSi XL, since both screens are yellowed and both have screen cancer with layer separation.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Weird I have been playing MSU enhanced Genesis games for a while now lol