Status
Not open for further replies.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Congratulations to smealum for accomplishing this, with this announcement he went from homebrew developer to pro hacker :)
And all within such short time too.
Sure it may not be the same as being the one to discover all those exploits but still there was a lot of encryption on that launcher.dat file and even with all that removed you need a lot of knowledge of the 3DS software to make any sense of the code.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I'm understanding from all these recent threads about homebrew apps is that we need libraries before we can get homebrew and not an exploit to be released since we already have one. My question is anybody actually working on making a library?
Well, it seems the Gateway team is intent on making homebrew libraries, but whether they've started work on it yet is anyone's guess. Right now they are probably focusing more on getting 6.2 support working.

If there's anyone we should count on in terms of a library, it's WinterMute.
Well he can't do all the work himself. With the Wii I believe it was Team Twiizers that did a lot of work on libogc to add Wii support.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That makes sense. Can't devs use homebrew to get information from the system?

Sure, mapping out a system from within itself is probably not where I would start though.
Equally though mapping out all the weird and wonderful hardware is a vital part of it this it is enough aggro by itself to port over standard libraries of common programming languages (or enough of them) to start getting better things done.

What I am curious to see is if the 3ds is closer to a multi program system with nice extras and hypervisor driven stuff or single program embedded hardware like the GBA and DS before it.

Reactions: Rydian

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I think it's not that bad since the progress community has made recently.
Nothing is perfect.I'm sure there will be hope for 6.2 devices.

Once the entire 3DS is documented it would be easier yep.
Then it's possible that a exploit for 5.0+ will become available (if one is found that is).

dragonblood9999

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i noticed that the game in his 3ds has a watermelon icon. if am not mistaken that the icon for Bangai-O Spirits
also he has said in his twitter that if was for 4.5

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
i noticed that the game in his 3ds has a watermelon icon. if am not mistaken that the icon for Bangai-O Spirits
also he has said in his twitter that if was for 4.5

It is "Bangai-O" but the relevance of the cartridge in the 3DS is unknown. He may be loading his code from the SD card (although I highly doubt it at this point in time), he may be loading it from an altered save file on the cartridge (way more likely), he may be loading from the DS Profile itself (which can't contain a whole lot of data) - we don't know where the unsigned code is located.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
We know the Gateway team's exploit works up to 6.2 (past that version isn't looking good), and people like me accidentally updated two days before that was announced, so yeah. Way to shoot myself in the foot ROFL.

Ouch lol.
I thought GW only worked for 4.5 and below?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://stockanalysis.com/stocks/ntdoy/market-cap/ I think they'll be alright