TheFlow has hacked the PlayStation Portal, manages to run PPSSPP natively on the device

pspiortal.png

TheFlow is up to his old tricks, hacking PlayStation hardware once more. After a month of tinkering around, he's managed to get past the security on Sony's PlayStation Portal streaming handheld, and even gotten PSP games to load on it by running the PPSSPP emulator for Android. He credits fellow scene hackers xyz and ZetaTwo for the help in hacking the Portal, and says that he might showcase some videos of PPSSPP running on the device sometime this weekend. For now, there's no plans to release his hack to the public, and TheFlow claims there's still a lot of work to be done in the future.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh I know. I even have the clip for the dualsense and my cell phone. The performance is literally the same on both the portal and my S23. To top it all off, I also have a gaming pc. I just like to waste money really. B-)
The S23 actually even probably have higher chances of being a better streaming device than portal cause it has a much better WiFi card and on top of that still one of the best Oled screens out there and maybe there might even be a chance to have PS5 HDR support.

At least I heard there's some app which the dev is working to have PS5 streaming with HDR for the SteamDeck Oled which might also happen to any other HDR device some day if it's not the case already cause I never bothered searching for it...

Reactions: Kioku

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really do not see the point in this piece of shit, just proves that idiots will blindly throw money at anything these days.

It is like 99.99% likely that you already have devices that are already capable of streaming your PS4/5 games without having to buy this.

I guess if you're going to be stupid enough to even think that this device is something worthy of its price tag, then well done, you are part of these special idiots that are to blame for killing off the console gaming market.

Yes, you are those special kind that support digital only shit, where you are being fucked over paying for content you dont even own.

Your the reason consoles are now finding the excuse to start pushing out digital only consoles, apart from Micro$hit who already had plans to prevent gamers from owing their games, lending, selling, buying pre owned.

Yes that FW feature they tried to sneak into its $hitBox 1, which back then everyone rightfully kicked off about, but thanks to you, their new $hitBox thats apparently a massive leap in terms of next gen hardware.

So does this imply its trying to out-do competition by forcing out next gen hardware when this current gen is still rather young?

But anyways, yup this model is digital only, so now will give Micro$hit the excuse that there is no demand anymore for physical based games consoles as they'll claim its digital only console is taking the lead.

Forcing console gaming to be restricted like PC, which already was an idiot race that blindly accepted digital only as its main point of gaming, while also having a majority due to MSs lacking care for security and allowing piracy to be so easy, so this is like the no brainer for game devs when porting over its console games to PC.

But this is what set consoles apart from PC, we had games that didn't require BS MS driver updates or OS to run them, we could simply throw the game into the console and away we played.

Plus if your like me and collect games and consoles, I never sell or trade my consoles and games in and over time these games become something worth keeping and I bet this is what MS hates.

They dont want to see us normal people been able to have anything that can be valued as high as a fair few retro games are worth these days, they want to ensure that it is THEM that maximises all profits from its console games.

The fact they seem to think they're a game console and game creator company, yet they've never actually come up with anything new and exciting since they launched.

All they have done is recycled the same few titles over and over into the ground and then have to buy out other studios to have them release something then due to their ignorant input demanding how a game should be or what games are to be made, these studios end up sat stagnant doing nothing or ran into the ground.

They'll try buy rights to have games exclusive which their third parties end up regretting and is due to MS why they're unable to start working on sequels or other titles.

And still they fail to get this simple point, all they want to be able to do is brag and say how they're the best or bigger company.

Already retarded claims how they have a higher annual profit turn over than Sony, erm, not exactly because your now only including sale figures from all of the other studios inc ONE in particular that had already been trading prior to the take over.

This includes games across other platforms and not just the $hitBox.

Thats just like Sony then claiming it had higher profits by including its entire company profits, from music, movies, electronics.

And look at how MS only interest is blowing billions to buy out a third party company that supported vast consoles and devices which already had its own very popular titles.

So MS thinks it can win the console war by being very fucking lazy and simply buy third parties out so they can not only get the heads up on its competitions next gen hardware, but also make its titles $hitBox timed exclusives or have better optimisation on its platform vs its rivals and exclusive add on content.

Then lacking care about those who worked tirelessly to bring us these excellent titles as soon as they took over, they end up laying off thousands of the employees.

I know sony aren't perfect, but at least they plan to work with their partners to develop these quality titles that Micro$hit keep failing to produce.

And we know for a fact that it won't be long until console gaming is killed off and you special folk will gladly waste your money supporting shit digital gaming devices/consoles.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I really do not see the point in this piece of shit, just proves that idiots will blindly throw money at anything these days.

It is like 99.99% likely that you already have devices that are already capable of streaming your PS4/5 games without having to buy this.

I guess if you're going to be stupid enough to even think that this device is something worthy of its price tag, then well done, you are part of these special idiots that are to blame for killing off the console gaming market.

Yes, you are those special kind that support digital only shit, where you are being fucked over paying for content you dont even own.

Your the reason consoles are now finding the excuse to start pushing out digital only consoles, apart from Micro$hit who already had plans to prevent gamers from owing their games, lending, selling, buying pre owned.

Yes that FW feature they tried to sneak into its $hitBox 1, which back then everyone rightfully kicked off about, but thanks to you, their new $hitBox thats apparently a massive leap in terms of next gen hardware.

So does this imply its trying to out-do competition by forcing out next gen hardware when this current gen is still rather young?

But anyways, yup this model is digital only, so now will give Micro$hit the excuse that there is no demand anymore for physical based games consoles as they'll claim its digital only console is taking the lead.

Forcing console gaming to be restricted like PC, which already was an idiot race that blindly accepted digital only as its main point of gaming, while also having a majority due to MSs lacking care for security and allowing piracy to be so easy, so this is like the no brainer for game devs when porting over its console games to PC.

But this is what set consoles apart from PC, we had games that didn't require BS MS driver updates or OS to run them, we could simply throw the game into the console and away we played.

Plus if your like me and collect games and consoles, I never sell or trade my consoles and games in and over time these games become something worth keeping and I bet this is what MS hates.

They dont want to see us normal people been able to have anything that can be valued as high as a fair few retro games are worth these days, they want to ensure that it is THEM that maximises all profits from its console games.

The fact they seem to think they're a game console and game creator company, yet they've never actually come up with anything new and exciting since they launched.

All they have done is recycled the same few titles over and over into the ground and then have to buy out other studios to have them release something then due to their ignorant input demanding how a game should be or what games are to be made, these studios end up sat stagnant doing nothing or ran into the ground.

They'll try buy rights to have games exclusive which their third parties end up regretting and is due to MS why they're unable to start working on sequels or other titles.

And still they fail to get this simple point, all they want to be able to do is brag and say how they're the best or bigger company.

Already retarded claims how they have a higher annual profit turn over than Sony, erm, not exactly because your now only including sale figures from all of the other studios inc ONE in particular that had already been trading prior to the take over.

This includes games across other platforms and not just the $hitBox.

Thats just like Sony then claiming it had higher profits by including its entire company profits, from music, movies, electronics.

And look at how MS only interest is blowing billions to buy out a third party company that supported vast consoles and devices which already had its own very popular titles.

So MS thinks it can win the console war by being very fucking lazy and simply buy third parties out so they can not only get the heads up on its competitions next gen hardware, but also make its titles $hitBox timed exclusives or have better optimisation on its platform vs its rivals and exclusive add on content.

Then lacking care about those who worked tirelessly to bring us these excellent titles as soon as they took over, they end up laying off thousands of the employees.

I know sony aren't perfect, but at least they plan to work with their partners to develop these quality titles that Micro$hit keep failing to produce.

And we know for a fact that it won't be long until console gaming is killed off and you special folk will gladly waste your money supporting shit digital gaming devices/consoles.
Just brand sheeps, that's why so many people still buy the worst phone ever (do no make good calls, and you have to pay even for the program to dial numbers) -iPhone- or the most expesive tablets and laptops ONLY FOR THE BRAND AT TOP because is status symbol.

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How am I supposed to be excited about this when it's not availible? He's a good programmer and it's his right to cash in from Sony but by the time we get to enjoy this, sixteen other android devices will have been released. Pft. PS5 hacks my ass.
Yeah, like you say it's his right to do that, but it kind of rubs me the wrong way that he shouts about this stuff but then just keeps it to himself or shares with Sony to secure the bag. It's little more than just 'huh, neat' if you're not going to actually give it to a community.

Reactions: impeeza

Spectremint

Trophies
Website
spectremint.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
I have to ask, does the Portal use Android as its OS?
I have no idea if this was answered already but in case it hasn't:
From what I can tell it seems to run it in some form, as there were development units leaked in pictures that ran on Android. No idea if it actually uses it in the final product, but knowing devices like these, it likely runs some form of *NIX operating system under the hood. Sony likes using BSD for its devices - the PlayStation 3 and 4 run on custom forks of FreeBSD - so I wouldn't be surprised if it runs that either.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I have a switch and a vita, you should probably deal with your anger and control issues.

Just brand sheeps, that's why so many people still buy the worst phone ever (do no make good calls, and you have to pay even for the program to dial numbers) -iPhone- or the most expesive tablets and laptops ONLY FOR THE BRAND AT TOP because is status symbol.
PlayStation isn't a status symbol, this is just about hacking.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
I have no idea if this was answered already but in case it hasn't:
From what I can tell it seems to run it in some form, as there were development units leaked in pictures that ran on Android. No idea if it actually uses it in the final product, but knowing devices like these, it likely runs some form of *NIX operating system under the hood. Sony likes using BSD for its devices - the PlayStation 3 and 4 run on custom forks of FreeBSD - so I wouldn't be surprised if it runs that either.
I suspect it does run Android, this deleted tweet said: "Turns out they had some custom code that attempted to prevent apk installation, but I could bypass it: https://t.co/0B38HRaaaw"

APK's are Android packages.

Spectremint

Trophies
Website
spectremint.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States

lordofcombo

Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
Yeah, he should have done something specifically for you, how selfish of him to do passion projects like that.
Your ass kissing is not better too.Its a general trend today for dev to show brag and not release,The flow being an exception.But when you have followed the hacking scene for 25 years,you will understand some of the frustrations people might experience.
Post automatically merged:

Yes, he is a prick, an arrogant prick selfish nerd
Your ass kissing is not better too.Its a general trend today for dev to show off/ brag and not release,The flow being an exception.But when you have followed the hacking scene for 25 years,you will understand some of the frustrations people might experience.

• Wow
Reactions: impeeza

James_

aka Underscore_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Important update: Apparently TheFlow ended up reporting the exploit to Sony themselves, and now it has been patched.

Now the Portal is a paperweight again for the time being unless that patch can be used to make another exploit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto